Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Hey everyone.

This will be my 2nd Wrangler. My first was a leased ‘06 when I was in my early 20’s and it just remained stock. Now I’m 35 and a lot more financially comfortable. I plan on getting a JLU Sahara.

I’ve read that 35” will fit without the need for a lift kit. Is there anything else I should do other than wheels and rims (I.e. suspension, gear ratios, etc)
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone.

This will be my 2nd Wrangler. My first was a leased ‘06 when I was in my early 20’s and it just remained stock. Now I’m 35 and a lot more financially comfortable. I plan on getting a JLU Sahara.

I’ve read that 35” will fit without the need for a lift kit. Is there anything else I should do other than wheels and rims (I.e. suspension, gear ratios, etc)
I'm not sure the Sahara will fit 35's without modification. Heck, although everyone seems to think it, I'm not sure that's even confirmed for the Rubicon. That said, from looking at it, I think if it did require a lift, it wouldn't take more than 2".

My Jeep was in for a coolant leak and parking brake rebuild, so they loaned me a 2017 JKU Sport with a 3.5 or 4" lift and 35x12.5x17 Kumho mud tires. It had an auto and 3.73 gears and I thought the power was just fine, even with a full load of adult passengers. I was rather surprised, actually. I was sure that set-up should need regearing, but the way it felt, I could have easily lived with it.

I've never run 35's or more than a 2" lift, so I'll defer to people with more experience to take you further. I just wanted to share how that JKU felt with 3.73's.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Considering Jeep was actually testing 37s and a 3" lift which I am sure had taller gears, I don't think it would take much to get 35s on the JL. If I remember right, with highline fenders you can fit 35s with no lift. I have no experience YET with larger tires, I lifted my JKUR 2.5 inches and kept stock tires, I just wanted a bit more ground clearance. Since the JL Rubicon comes with 285s or (32.7") I don't think I will go to a larger tire until after I wear out the factory set.

2018-JL-Wrangler-Mopar-Lift-Kit-3-inch.jpg

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
35s and stock (low or "normal") fenders are not friends

OP
OP
Schmeegz

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I'm not sure the Sahara will fit 35's without modification. Heck, although everyone seems to think it, I'm not sure that's even confirmed for the Rubicon. That said, from looking at it, I think if it did require a lift, it wouldn't take more than 2".

My Jeep was in for a coolant leak and parking brake rebuild, so they loaned me a 2017 JKU Sport with a 3.5 or 4" lift and 35x12.5x17 Kumho mud tires. It had an auto and 3.73 gears and I thought the power was just fine, even with a full load of adult passengers. I was rather surprised, actually. I was sure that set-up should need regearing, but the way it felt, I could have easily lived with it.

I've never run 35's or more than a 2" lift, so I'll defer to people with more experience to take you further. I just wanted to share how that JKU felt with 3.73's.
Thank you so much for your feedback. It’s right around the corner I’m so excited. I settled for the typical SUV but now my wife and I have decided not to have children so now daddy can get whatever he wants haha. I shall name my jeep “Cheaper than Diapers”

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
On my jkur I had 35s on a 2” ome lift and it would rub on the stock fenders when flexed. I remember there were guys saying you could run 35s with no lift and that probably true if the suspension never articulated greatly. On my jkur I ended up first with bushwhacked flat fenders and then some ace steel flares. The tires were still close to rubbing but just cleared.
Sponsored