New

Aboyonceknown

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Wrangler
Can anyone give me a suggestion, I got a 2018 JL Rubicon, battery went dead, went to dealer and purchased New battery, reconnected everything and everything is still DEAD, nothing working??? Tks Cliff
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
V6? If so, it has two batteries, surprising the dealer didn’t mention that.

Welcome to the wild, crazy Jeep Family.
Gregj

OP
OP

Aboyonceknown

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Wrangler
V6? If so, it has two batteries, surprising the dealer didn’t mention that.

Welcome to the wild, crazy Jeep Family.
Gregj
Yes I knew it had 2 battery’s, but will it not start IF the secondary battery Low? Cliff

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Can anyone give me a suggestion, I got a 2018 JL Rubicon, battery went dead, went to dealer and purchased New battery, reconnected everything and everything is still DEAD, nothing working??? Tks Cliff
NEW?

Troubleshoot before swapping parts.

Do you know the battery was dead and didn't have another issue? Did you charge both batteries before you replaced one of them? If not, why do you assume a battery needs to be replaced just because it has no charge? Have you tested your charging system?

I've been in the automotive aftermarket for many years, and so many people replace batteries when there is nothing wrong with the battery. It's only job is to hold a charge, and often it does not GET the charge, or has too much load and discharges too quickly.

OP
OP

Aboyonceknown

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Wrangler
NEW?

Troubleshoot before swapping parts.

Do you know the battery was dead and didn't have another issue? Did you charge both batteries before you replaced one of them? If not, why do you assume a battery needs to be replaced just because it has no charge? Have you tested your charging system?

I've been in the automotive aftermarket for many years, and so many people replace batteries when there is nothing wrong with the battery. It's only job is to hold a charge, and often it does not GET the charge, or has too much load and discharges too quickly.
I didnt test anything, I have noticed it kinda starting slowly lately, then yesterday it just wouldn’t crank. Can you tell me how to jump start IF the Secondary battery is dead? My Windows are down and it wont even work those??? Cliff

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Jump start it like any other vehicle. If both of your batteries are dead you may need to leave the other vehicle connected longer than you'd think to get enough charge into the jeep to crank the engine.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To answer your question, yes a low or dead secondary battery will prevent it from starting.
Gregj

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I knew it had 2 battery’s, but will it not start IF the secondary battery Low? Cliff
Ya, there was a flash for the computer for 2018s. Originally, 2018s would not start if the small battery was dead. There's a flash to change them to start with a low little battery.

OP
OP

Aboyonceknown

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Wrangler
Ya, there was a flash for the computer for 2018s. Originally, 2018s would not start if the small battery was dead. There's a flash to change them to start with a low little battery.
My Jeep will not do anything now, blow horn or lights - I mean Anything? Could it be a fuse? I put a Brand new Big battery in the Jeep, wouldnt that make something come on? I mean the Whole Jeep is dead! Could it still be ALL linked to the small battery????

OP
OP

Aboyonceknown

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Wrangler
A FLash? What is that .... how do I get ? Tks Cliff

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a volt meter? Kinda hard to diagnose over the web. There is a main fuse array on the side of the fuse box. Has seven terminals on it. I would start checking there. Just a guess but if the secondary battery has an internal short it could blow the main fuse. I carry a spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL New 93DB9BA9-0BB9-45AC-875B-11A96EAA00DD
Jeep Wrangler JL New 5E0EA7B9-90D1-4EAD-AB33-487F579F1E14

Did you get a big spark when you hooked up the new battery?
Gregj

OP
OP

Aboyonceknown

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Wrangler
Do you have a volt meter? Kinda hard to diagnose over the web. There is a main fuse array on the side of the fuse box. Has seven terminals on it. I would start checking there. Just a guess but if the secondary battery has an internal short it could blow the main fuse. I carry a spare.

Did you get a big spark when you hooked up the new battery?
Gregj
Yes - i noticed it sparked

rocklobster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray,Rubicon,Manual,1974 Jensen Interceptor.previously 2007 Steel blue JKU,2010 Stone white JKU,2013 JKU Rock Lobster,Sahara,
Hi,

Would you not first ask the dealership to evaluate what the issue is and not just change the battery on a hunch? if it is an issue caused by the user you might be billed 30 mins of time but at least you will have a solid starting point.

I had slow cranking on my Rubicon over the last couple of weeks, I thought it might be the AUX battery (the small one in the passenger wheel well that powers the start/stop)as the start/stop had stopped working around the same time, but when I took it to the dealer they said two cells in the main battery were dead and replaced it under warranty. I would have yours towed to the dealer under the Jeep warranty program to be evaluated. They are complicated machines, even if they are "just a Jeep" , no such thing these days, see what the dealership says.

P.S. It is my understanding (that you should verify) that if the AUX battery is below a certain low power level it will not let the main battery crank the car even if the main battery is full (although that would not explain why you have zero electrical cabin power)

Hope its a simple and quick fix.
Sponsored