Need quick advice on ordering under invoice

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
How long ago did you order? Criswell is selling ordered 2019's for 7%-under invoice with Tread Lightly. 6%-under invoice without TL. They are in the DC area about a hour from Annapolis.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...criswell-jeep-of-gaithersburg-md.15357/page-2
I bought at the height of buying season so I was at a disadvantage. I’m also at a place in life where 7% isn’t worth the time it takes to drive somewhere.

The reason I went to so many dealerships is because I was looking for a dark, four door Sahara. Nobody could keep them on the lot at that time. Everyone was overstocked with Sport and two door models. We were willing to go for a color we didn’t want if the price was right but weren’t even invited inside to talk numbers. It was a “call us if you want to buy it because there are three people waiting” kind of thing.

Most of our dealers were old dudes from the smoker’s block just wondering where they went wrong in life to end up here.

We had to drag information out of them and it wasn’t until the fourth dealership that we found out you can actually order them. We got a young girl who knew everything about Wranglers and seemed to actually like her job. We were so relieved, we would have paid 7% above invoice.
Sponsored

Richjl19

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevy Cruze 2013 Chevy equinox
Ordered mine and dealer sold it at 9% off invoice. Listed for $56k, bought for $51k in High Point NC.
9% under msrp is not the same as 9% off invoice. If msrp was 56 the invoice price would’ve been close to 52. You may have gotten 2% below invoice with your deal. Dealer still made a nice profit and you paid less than average joe but there are far better deals out there. Op will not find a better deal than 5% under invoice is south Florida. The only better deal possibly in Florida atm is daytona dodge who would be 5% under with $500 dealer fee. Not worth the drive to save a couple hundred imo. Buy local and service at the dealer you bought from.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Guys I have a local dealer trying to make a deal with me. They say they have no problem selling me a car at nonprofit but will not sell one and pay me. I know some of you guys that have gotten under invoice know more about this. What do I tell him? He doesn’t pay “invoice” right...there’s holdback?

Thanks guys

Paul has already made an excellent deal, locally, and we wish him well. He got the best of both worlds.

For others reading this--as most of you know--the "fly in the ointment here" is the dealer's so call woes of selling you a car at cost, or even, as they described, "at a loss."

Two things. Your goal is get the most competitive price without feeling sorry for a dealer: even if they are really and truly losing money on the deal (and they're not.) Deals are always done at free will for either side.

There are plenty of ways dealers make their money on the sale, from volume incentives FCA gives them, to documentation fees etc. And yet if that's not enough, there will be plenty of opportunity for the dealer to make additional monies off you in service, or FCA etc. in covered warrantied repairs. And yet if that's not enough, refer to the prior paragraph.

Can you imagine a dealer giving you a better deal because your rich Aunt, who has willed you lots of money, did in fact survive her recent surgery and has been given another good 10 years by the doctors, such that you stand to inherit less, later into the future?

Final thought: be polite but firm with the dealer, as you always have the choice to walk away.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I bought at the height of buying season so I was at a disadvantage. I’m also at a place in life where 7% isn’t worth the time it takes to drive somewhere.

The reason I went to so many dealerships is because I was looking for a dark, four door Sahara. Nobody could keep them on the lot at that time. Everyone was overstocked with Sport and two door models. We were willing to go for a color we didn’t want if the price was right but weren’t even invited inside to talk numbers. It was a “call us if you want to buy it because there are three people waiting” kind of thing.

Most of our dealers were old dudes from the smoker’s block just wondering where they went wrong in life to end up here.

We had to drag information out of them and it wasn’t until the fourth dealership that we found out you can actually order them. We got a young girl who knew everything about Wranglers and seemed to actually like her job. We were so relieved, we would have paid 7% above invoice.
I only asked because I thought you might have just placed your order and had time to change your order. One of these days car buying will hopefully be a lot easier. Great to hear you finally found someone who knew the product to order from. Enjoy your JL!

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Guys I have a local dealer trying to make a deal with me. They say they have no problem selling me a car at nonprofit but will not sell one and pay me. I know some of you guys that have gotten under invoice know more about this. What do I tell him? He doesn’t pay “invoice” right...there’s holdback?

Thanks guys
Go to Chriswell , Farrish, Dave Dennis, all are doing 6-6,5% off the INVOICE, you decide if its worth the drive, some charge $300. Doc fee others 699, run he numbers, any dealer that says they are losing money are full of shit. Most of the dealers pay about the same amount but make extra money with finance deals made thru the banks and FCA, selling extras warranties and extras for your Jeeps, lifts, rims, side rails

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
As a buyer you want to be able to justify your stance. Percentages off MSRP or percentages off invoice do exactly that.

Do you know how many jerkoffs car dealers see who chose arbitrary discounts with absolutely no rational thought behind them? If you don’t.. go sell cars for a week. That’s the customer who’ll end up buying on the dealers terms (in the unlikely event he buys at all).

I just can’t agree with that you’re espousing, since there are legions of us on this forum- savvy buyers all- who’ve gotten far below market deals by doing exacly what you’re saying not to do. I did. You’ll meet lots of others who did too. I’m not saying there’s only one way to buy a car, I’m just saying there’s a “basic strategy” like in black jack, that’ll make things easier for you and the dealers.
No idea why you felt it was important to quote my post twice, whatever. Anyway you do you, I'll do me. At the end of the day it's all about the price. I feel no need to "justify" what I'm asking for, I'm telling the seller of a product how much I'm willing to pay for it. Period. End of Story. If I engage said seller in the how's and why's of my price I'm playing their game. From many of the postings I've read here it seems a lot of people have either never bought a vehicle before or have little to no experience in negotiating on price. I've never seen a deal that is "customer will pay x % off of FWP (or MSRP)", it's always a dollar amount. So I negotiate on the bottom dollar amount. "Espousing", LOFL, thanks for giving me a true laughing out loud moment. I'm now thinking of that as an alternative to RATM's "I'm Housin'". :)

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
No idea why you felt it was important to quote my post twice, whatever. Anyway you do you, I'll do me. At the end of the day it's all about the price. I feel no need to "justify" what I'm asking for, I'm telling the seller of a product how much I'm willing to pay for it. Period. End of Story. If I engage said seller in the how's and why's of my price I'm playing their game. From many of the postings I've read here it seems a lot of people have either never bought a vehicle before or have little to no experience in negotiating on price. I've never seen a deal that is "customer will pay x % off of FWP (or MSRP)", it's always a dollar amount. So I negotiate on the bottom dollar amount. "Espousing", LOFL, thanks for giving me a true laughing out loud moment. I'm now thinking of that as an alternative to RATM's "I'm Housin'". :)
This is the way a % under invoice deal looks. This is the sales managers handwriting, and for the most part, that’s how the deal was done (I got one more small discount in order for me to come in and buy my Wrangler the following day).

image.jpg

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Everyone was overstocked with Sport and two door models.

I would have loved to have had that problem. I wanted a Sport S 2 door and struggled to find one.

I had three must haves. The premium top, Technology package, and Convenience group. I had nine options within a 150 mile radius. If I added the tow package there was only one available.

I ended up driving to a dealer 120 miles away to get mine.
Sponsored