Sponsored

Need Advice: What Relay?

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I am working on wiring some halogen driving lights and I am looking for recommendations for the right relay to use.

They are vintage Hella 170s, which are classic large diameter halogen driving lights. (I know they are not as power efficient as the newer LED lights, but they have a ton of sentimental value because they are from the first car I worked on with my Dad when I was young, and I have the tow package with the upgraded alternator, so should have plenty of power for occasional trail use.)

Anyone have any advice in terms of what is the right relay to use for a pair of 100W halogens? (Wiring advice or diagram would be really welcome too!)

Thanks!

Jed Hellas - 1.jpg
Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am working on wiring some halogen driving lights and I am looking for recommendations for the right relay to use.

They are vintage Hella 170s, which are classic large diameter halogen driving lights. (I know they are not as power efficient as the newer LED lights, but they have a ton of sentimental value because they are from the first car I worked on with my Dad when I was young, and I have the tow package with the upgraded alternator, so should have plenty of power for occasional trail use.)

Anyone have any advice in terms of what is the right relay to use for a pair of 100W halogens? (Wiring advice or diagram would be really welcome too!)

Thanks!

Jed Hellas - 1.jpg

If each light is 100 watts then you will have 8.33amps flowing through the wires (100w / 12v = 8.33amps). This means your relay needs to be capable of this. Go to Amazon and search for:

12V 30 40A SPDT Bosch Style Automotive Relays & 5 Wire Socket

OP
OP
xtopherm

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
If each light is 100 watts then you will have 8.33amps flowing through the wires (100w / 12v = 8.33amps). This means your relay needs to be capable of this. Go to Amazon and search for:

12V 30 40A SPDT Bosch Style Automotive Relays & 5 Wire Socket
Thanks!

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I'm thinking of something similar but I want to flip them under the bar

jlewissystem

First Name