My new Willys

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I started with this site back when I was first interested in getting a new vehicle, always wanted a Jeep, finally pulling the trigger.

Placed my order 02/17/2020, just to find out after the dealer took my deposit and telling me there wasn't a problem, in fact there was a problem - clutch recall. Then the Covid-19 hit and shut down the factory. My order placed on 02/17/2020 was finally delivered on 07/01/2020.

Now, having owned and driven as my daily driver my new Willys for nearly two months, I am very impressed.

I thought the Jeep might be a "chatter box" or "wind tunnel" due to the removable top/doors - it's not. The Jeep is tight, solid and very fun to drive. The gearing is a bit high for my liking, the only way to get a good low gear is to put her in 4x4 low ( I have the 2-door, V-6 with Manual).

I'm getting 20-21 mpg, mostly city driving.

I installed a Smitty Built 9500 winch, stripping off the plastic finish covering to get to the frame. Welding in 3/16" angle iron between the frame to bumper mounts for the winch to mount to - then reinstalling the plastic finish pieces and cutting out the necessary areas for the winch and rollers.

I also wanted to carry some extra fuel, five gallons would do while also wanting more, at least five gallons would get me roughly an additional 100 miles to the next gas station. Not finding what I was looking for on the internet and/or 4x4 web sites, I built my own.

A very simple gas carrier that fits a standard size "5 gal Jerry Can". The carrier uses the same mounting bracket which holds the tailgate on (I did replace the factory bolts x2, with longer harden steel bolts). Best part of this carrier is, the tailgate opens to full length - just missing the right tail light.

20200802_090913.jpg

Jeep winch 2.jpg

Jeep winch 1.jpg

20200808_125751.jpg

jeep gas carrier 1.jpg
Sponsored

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Looks great! Worth the wait I imagine?

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I started with this site back when I was first interested in getting a new vehicle, always wanted a Jeep, finally pulling the trigger.

Placed my order 02/17/2020, just to find out after the dealer took my deposit and telling me there wasn't a problem, in fact there was a problem - clutch recall. Then the Covid-19 hit and shut down the factory. My order placed on 02/17/2020 was finally delivered on 07/01/2020.

Now, having owned and driven as my daily driver my new Willys for nearly two months, I am very impressed.

I thought the Jeep might be a "chatter box" or "wind tunnel" due to the removable top/doors - it's not. The Jeep is tight, solid and very fun to drive. The gearing is a bit high for my liking, the only way to get a good low gear is to put her in 4x4 low ( I have the 2-door, V-6 with Manual).

I'm getting 20-21 mpg, mostly city driving.

I installed a Smitty Built 9500 winch, stripping off the plastic finish covering to get to the frame. Welding in 3/16" angle iron between the frame to bumper mounts for the winch to mount to - then reinstalling the plastic finish pieces and cutting out the necessary areas for the winch and rollers.

I also wanted to carry some extra fuel, five gallons would do while also wanting more, at least five gallons would get me roughly an additional 100 miles to the next gas station. Not finding what I was looking for on the internet and/or 4x4 web sites, I built my own.

A very simple gas carrier that fits a standard size "5 gal Jerry Can". The carrier uses the same mounting bracket which holds the tailgate on (I did replace the factory bolts x2, with longer harden steel bolts). Best part of this carrier is, the tailgate opens to full length - just missing the right tail light.

Jeep Wrangler JL My new Willys jeep gas carrier 1

Nice job and I wonder how is the clutch ?

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thumbs up for the winch job! You keep the light weight bumper, and the winch doesn't sit on top of it, blocking (some of) the airflow. That's how I would do, if I had the skills.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Congratulations Lawrence! I was afraid that your ordering ordeal was going to sour the whole Jeep ownership experience for you. Glad to hear that it has worked out well.

Later,
Johnny

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Congrats on the new ride.