Sponsored

MSRP keeps going up, up, up!

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I began looking hard at a new 2021 Jeep Wrangler at the end of January of 21. Test drove a few and finally figured out what I felt I needed to be satisfied.
Since there were none with the options and color I wanted within 250 miles, ordering was the best choice.
The MSRP had gone up $500 total on some of the options from when I first started shopping but hey, at least I was getting what I needed.
NOW the sticker came out on my build and the MSRP went up another $650. That's just frustrating to me as that is a huge increase in just a matter of a few weeks.
Wonder if this has happened to other Jeep owners. I'm guessing it has.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not only has the MSRP gone up, but some things that were not extra cost options now are. Things as simple as paint color are now $250 extra

SuperDan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2005 Acrua RSX Type S
I just ordered my 2021 earlier this week. I priced it out about a week or so ago and it had gone up around $500 from the original estimate. I asked my dealer and all he could say was they raised the prices, not much they can really do or know when it's going to happen.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
There was a price increase January first where a lot of packages increased $100 MSRP. I know the builder didn't update until a couple weeks ago. Not sure of other price increases, but if a dealer increased the prices of the ones they had before the price increase, I'd find another dealer.

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Ongoing supply chain challenges related to covid and "trade frictions" (i.e. tariffs) both are likely increasing manufacturing costs. Combine that with government helicopter money which likely contributes to consumer demand and we have an environment where consumer end-price increases are not surprising.

kbarbosa86

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU - 80th Anniversary
This was a factor as to why I ended up pulling the trigger on my 80th back in Nov. I was trying to hold out to order the hydro blue, but it was still not available at the time. I was also hearing talk that the pricing and options were going to go up. Ended up finding one at the beginning of Nov and decided to buy.

OP
OP
Hogdreamer

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did some checking this evening to see what areas increased in MSRP since I ordered the Wrangler Sahara Altitude.
The base price of a Wrangler Sahara went from $38, 825 to $38, 925. An increase of $100.

The customer preferred package (The Altitude part of the Sahara) went from $3,295 to $3,595. An increase of $300.

The 3.6 V6 eTorque Engine went from $1,500 to $1,750 for an increase of $250.

That makes a total increase of $650 since I ordered the Jeep less than 2 weeks ago.

The tough part, I think, is the Jeep website does not do a good enough job keeping the prices current. When I brought a printed portion of build off the website the dealer laughed at me and said that anything it said was useless.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I ordered on Feb 9th and fortunately my virtual window sticker is still same price as was agreed to when I ordered. I imagine we will see a March price guide soon. I was looking in December and it caught me off guard when the price increased by $460 in January for my build. I am not used an auto manufacturer continuously increasing the prices. I looked at the 2020 guides noticed the prices increased that year as well.

DHahn

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sahara 2.0T Mojito Green
I don't know all of the details at Jeep, but I do a lot of metal work and steel prices have ballooned this year. We've gone from paying $0.90/ft to over $2.00/ft on just one of our common tube sizes. I'm not even printing price lists anymore and I'm only locking pricing in for tubing I have in stock, if I have to order it I'm letting people know I don't know how much more than I quoted it will be, just that they can figure somewhere between 10-20% and that might cover it.

It's crazy and it hasn't slowed down yet, though it has slowed our sales down a bit. Between steel, shortages, and you'd have to imagine they are paying overtime to catch up I totally understand the price increases. I don't like them, but I understand it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hogdreamer

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess since FCA paid each assembly line worker an $8000 plus bonus in the last week or so, they need to recoup that money somehow.

Why not pick the pocket of the customers trying to keep them in the black?

Unfortunately that makes it more difficult to spend money on jeep parts after the purchase.

mattebury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I know what you mean, the base MSRP on our 2-door Rubicon went up $100 from the day we ordered on March 4, to the day it was entered into the system on March 5. Curious as to what it'll be by the time the window sticker is generated.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I know I was building mine the last couple of weeks and noticed the
8.4 w/alpine went up $100 and LED went up $70 from two weeks ago and my final build mysteriously went up $100 from what it said on my summary ....after getting over $6000 off MSRP I wasn't trippin on it.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Ongoing supply chain challenges related to covid and "trade frictions" (i.e. tariffs) both are likely increasing manufacturing costs. Combine that with government helicopter money which likely contributes to consumer demand and we have an environment where consumer end-price increases are not surprising.
This plus a lot of lost sales over the last year that hurt profits for all manufacturers. Bound to happen. Companies that report to share holders are just going to “write off” last year. They are going to get after it and make as much back up as they can.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Did your dealer not have you sign off on the price? I don't think any reputable dealer is going to increase the price after you have signed off on the agreed price. Mine went up $500 or so as well, but I signed when I ordered on the purchase price.
Sponsored