Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Issue?

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Hey everyone, I just installed the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement kit last night and seem to be having an issue with it staying tight. I spent considerable time making sure the alignment of the tailgate was perfect after tightening everything up last night but after coming home from work and opening the tailgate I noticed it felt like it was dragging and dropping off the latch. Thought it was pretty odd so I went to check the bolts and they felt somewhat loose so I took everything back apart to retorque everything and sure enough after opening and closing several times the bolts felt loose again. Is this a common issue? I feel like if I keep torquing on the bolts they are going to snap. I have even considered adding some blue loctite to the bolts but the directions do not call for anything. I am currently on the stock 255's but my 35's are arriving this weekend and I did this in anticipation of them going on. Pretty frustrating that I continue to tighten the bolts and they seem to want to keep loosening up. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had any issues with mine coming loose. It has been on and good for over a year now. Please let us know how this comes out.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not had any issues with mine coming loose. It has been on and good for over a year now. Please let us know how this comes out.
Will do. I retorqued everything last night so I'll keep an eye on it.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d just put some blue loc-tite on the bolts

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™d just put some blue loc-tite on the bolts
I haven't rechecked the bolts but if they do loosen up that is my next step. 35's are going on next week so ill keep an eye on it.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't rechecked the bolts but if they do loosen up that is my next step. 35's are going on next week so ill keep an eye on it.
I had the Mopar reinforcement from the factory and noticed the same thing you did with loose bolts after a few hundred miles. no idea why. Rather than take it to the dealer, I just dabbed some blue loc-tite on the bolts and torqued them to specs. Never gave me a problem after that.
Sponsored