Sponsored

Mopar front splash guards

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Hey guys - I know not many people are fans of putting mud flaps/splash guards on their Jeep, but eh... I'm going for it lol

Anyway, I just received the Mopar front splash guards for my JLU, and I got the existing rivets out of the wheel well with no issues. I have a nice little pneumatic rivet tool, and the first two rivets (on the outside of the wheel well into some pretty solid plastic) went in without a hitch. Things are looking good.

But then I go to do the three rivets INSIDE the well, and the project just goes to hell. First off, these Mopar rivets are absolute garbage. And second, they have you riveting the splash guard (pretty thick plastic) into this really flimsy, very moveable plastic inside the well, so thin it's just like a little plastic curtain or something. It's just not working, and I end up burning through all the rivets they included (no extras), and the things just pop right back out.

No biggie - bought some screw rivets today and tried those, STILL not holding. The rivets go in just fine, but with the slightest movement of that thin plastic inside the well they just pop right back out.

Anybody else install these? It's probably just me being horrible at this for some reason, but wanted to reach out for any advice from anyone who has done this little project.
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Check at your local hardware store for stainless or plastic fender washers. I used plastic fender washers on the rear of my Mustang. The fender liners. there, seem to be made up of pressed fibers rather than even sheet plastic. The washers give enough backing area to prevent the rivets from pulling back out.

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Awesome. Thanks, man. I'll give them a go later today.
Sponsored