Mopar Brake Controller on JLU WITHOUT sales code ADH

JLAUGHTON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Manual
I have a 2020 Sahara JLU without factory tow package.
I have installed the hitch, 7 way wiring and now trying to install the Mopar brake Controller.
I have a manual transmission which means the control box will not fit where it is suppose to, but can be mounted elsewhere.

The problem I am having is brake controller on the dash is flashing RED (indicating a Short/Open Ground/Open Load), with NO trailer connected.
I have been told I need to get sales code ADH added to the vehicle.
Could the lack of sales code ADH cause this ?

The controller box has a 4 pin connector from the wiring loom.

The documentation shows that 4 pin connector is wired as:
A - TN/RD - power
B - DG/WH - vehicle brake indicator (B15)
C - BL - trailer brake wire, Blue
D - DG - ground, dark green or black

I looked at the cable used for vehicles with the tow package (eg Gladiator), and the 4 pin connector is wired as:
A - TN/RD - power
B - DG/WH - vehicle brake indicator (B15)
C - DG - ground, dark green or black
D - BL - trailer brake wire, Blue

NOTE that C and D seem reversed ?
Has anyone seem something similar ?
Sponsored

Attachments

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I don't know about the JLs, but the WK2s need to have the trailer wiring activated before it will work properly. Like when installing the auxiliary switch panel it need to be activated by the dealership. I could be wrong.

OP
OP

JLAUGHTON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Manual
I went to the dealer today and asked for the ADH sales code to be added.
The technician looked at the vehicle, and said that brake controlled was stand alone and reprogramming would have no effect.
The technician looked at the wiring and agreed that the cable for the Gladiator was probably correct.
I switched pins C and D and the flashing red LED (fault indicator) went away.
Now it seems to function correctly (The Blue 7 way brake wire goers active when I press the manual override).

I cannot say how frustrated I am with the Mopar documentation (and the technician agreed with me on the inaccuracy)

Hope this helps anyone else trying to install this wiring.

PS. While running the Harness part number 82216416AA (required on vehicles without the tow package installed at the factory) through the firewall (rubber gasket), I nicked the main wiring loom. The vehicle would not start, and it cost me $1500 to have it fixed.

Hellayellamt

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I went to the dealer today and asked for the ADH sales code to be added.
The technician looked at the vehicle, and said that brake controlled was stand alone and reprogramming would have no effect.
The technician looked at the wiring and agreed that the cable for the Gladiator was probably correct.
I switched pins C and D and the flashing red LED (fault indicator) went away.
Now it seems to function correctly (The Blue 7 way brake wire goers active when I press the manual override).

I cannot say how frustrated I am with the Mopar documentation (and the technician agreed with me on the inaccuracy)

Hope this helps anyone else trying to install this wiring.

PS. While running the Harness part number 82216416AA (required on vehicles without the tow package installed at the factory) through the firewall (rubber gasket), I nicked the main wiring loom. The vehicle would not start, and it cost me $1500 to have it fixed.
I'm looking for a little insight on the install process. I've got a 21 wrangler sahara unlimited with the manual transmission. I've got the hitch installed and the mopar 7 pin trailer wiring will be next with the brake controller at a later date. Since I'm pulling the jeep apart a little bit to installed the plug would it be beneficial to run power inside from the battery for the brake controller at the same time and would that have fixed the issue with the extra harness? I appreciate any insight and or pictures you can give me

OP
OP

JLAUGHTON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Manual
I'm looking for a little insight on the install process. I've got a 21 wrangler sahara unlimited with the manual transmission. I've got the hitch installed and the mopar 7 pin trailer wiring will be next with the brake controller at a later date. Since I'm pulling the jeep apart a little bit to installed the plug would it be beneficial to run power inside from the battery for the brake controller at the same time and would that have fixed the issue with the extra harness? I appreciate any insight and or pictures you can give me
Hi Hellakellamt, Please look at my previous thread
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ntroller-on-jlu-without-sales-code-adh.78229/
I have all Mopar parts (except the physical hitch), and it does work - sort of
As I said the most difficult part was getting the blue brake wire thru the firewall, since it is right next to the main cable harness and access is VERY limited.
Not sure if this forum allows private messages ? - if so PM me with any specific questions
Sponsored