Sponsored

Modification Weight and Acceleration

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hey guys! For Christmas I received a new EAG steel bumper and a pair of Smittybilt steel steps. After getting them put on and taking the Jeep for a spin, I noticed that the acceleration is rather sluggish.

Now I realize that any added weight is going to cause some performance issues, but the overall weight of the new items added is roughly 140lbs (about the weight of a smaller passenger), which seems like it should be negligible. Is the slower acceleration due to how low the weight sits and how it’s proportioned?

Just curious as to what you guys have to say. Thanks!
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I doubt the mods are the issue. Something else is causing it, or it is a mental thing. Did you add larger tires? If so, that would be the cause.

OP
OP

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt the mods are the issue. Something else is causing it, or it is a mental thing. Did you add larger tires? If so, that would be the cause.
Nope, no new tires, just the front bumper and steps. Maybe it’s mental, but it sure seems like I can feel the extra weight as I’m driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's hard to say. Every pounds counts but there's no way 140 pounds made a significant difference to your acceleration.
I went back and look at the shipment weights of each of the items, and it looks like my calculations were off. The total weight is slightly over 200lbs. ( amazon originally listed the steps as a total weight of 75lbs, but that’s roughly the weight of each step).

Again, the only thing I can think of is that it’s the modifications, Nothing else was done to the car and I could notice a different from the day before when I drove without the mods.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
Hey guys! For Christmas I received a new EAG steel bumper and a pair of Smittybilt steel steps. After getting them put on and taking the Jeep for a spin, I noticed that the acceleration is rather sluggish.

Now I realize that any added weight is going to cause some performance issues, but the overall weight of the new items added is roughly 140lbs (about the weight of a smaller passenger), which seems like it should be negligible. Is the slower acceleration due to how low the weight sits and how it’s proportioned?

Just curious as to what you guys have to say. Thanks!
Im saying you decided these were heavy while installing them and it got in your head. But ive noticed weight on front tends to have more effect than weight on rear. If your air pressure is on the low side this is more pronounced. Might add about 4 psi and try it again.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I went back and look at the shipment weights of each of the items, and it looks like my calculations were off. The total weight is slightly over 200lbs. ( amazon originally listed the steps as a total weight of 75lbs, but that’s roughly the weight of each step).

Again, the only thing I can think of is that it’s the modifications, Nothing else was done to the car and I could notice a different from the day before when I drove without the mods.
Sounds like placebo.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Did you notice a similar acceleration when you had your lovely wife and a weeks worth of groceries aboard? Even full gas or near empty? I can't imagine you could feel any difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you guys might be right. I think it might be a case of me watching the MPG meter (I know it’s not 100% accurate), seeing it take a slight hit from what I was used to before the mods and trying to compensate by giving it less power.

I’ve been known to get inside my own head a time or two. Lol

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Nope, no new tires, just the front bumper and steps. Maybe it’s mental, but it sure seems like I can feel the extra weight as I’m driving.
Possible the bumper is less aerodynamic? But still doubtful. If you have a 200 pound passenger you don't feel a difference so I don't think the weight is doing anything.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely feel the weight of aftermarket parts on my rig. And like you the weight from the aftermarket parts hasn’t been significant.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
F=ma

Force is the same, mass has increased, thus acceleration is diminished. 140lbs is hardly negligible.

You’ll hardly notice any difference at speed, but acceleration and deceleration will be worse.
Sponsored