Midland GMRS Stealth Install

Txcomp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Since there is a good possibility I'm going to leave the Jeep open when I run to Home Depot or somewhere else, I'm trying to keep everything I do as stealth as possible. I just installed a Midland MXT275 and wanted to mount it out of the way but still accessible.

I designed a mounting bracket to mount the unit under the passenger seat so the radio moves with the seat but is still secure. The acrylic is tapped so the screws thread directly in to the plate. The unit is tie wrapped to the seat adjustment bar since that was the quickest, easiest way to mount it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland GMRS Stealth Install IMG_4777
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland GMRS Stealth Install IMG_4778
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland GMRS Stealth Install IMG_4780

The pictures show the bracket under the rails but I plan to move it on top of the rails to get more radio to floor clearance. It doesn't hit now with the seat slid all the way forward but it's reeeeeal close to the floor. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Very cool install, I just ordered two of the 275’s for my wife’s and my rigs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Txcomp

Txcomp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
That’s some pretty awesome work. Why not just mount it up under the dash? I like the under seat for a location but it seems cable management would be easier behind the dash
I looked behind the dash (next to the glove box like I'd saw some others mount theirs) and I wasn't sure if I should bend the coax in that tight of arc. My cables run in a "largish" S behind the radio under the carpet so realistically you can only see about 3" of the wire where it comes out of the radio and runs under the carpet. I also wasn't sure if I'd need the speaker built in to the base to hear but as it turns out, the speaker on the mic is plenty loud.

Also, since the factory switch wires are already in that location, my current plan is to put an accessory fuse/distribution panel in that spot behind the glove box so it's out of the way and still easy to access.

Dalvarado55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport 2.0, MC 3.5" lift, Rubi Axles
Since there is a good possibility I'm going to leave the Jeep open when I run to Home Depot or somewhere else, I'm trying to keep everything I do as stealth as possible. I just installed a Midland MXT275 and wanted to mount it out of the way but still accessible.

I designed a mounting bracket to mount the unit under the passenger seat so the radio moves with the seat but is still secure. The acrylic is tapped so the screws thread directly in to the plate. The unit is tie wrapped to the seat adjustment bar since that was the quickest, easiest way to mount it.

The pictures show the bracket under the rails but I plan to move it on top of the rails to get more radio to floor clearance. It doesn't hit now with the seat slid all the way forward but it's reeeeeal close to the floor. Hope this helps someone in the future.
That's awesome work. This is the exact spot where I want to mount my MXT275 when I get it. Would you be willing to make another mount and sell it to me?

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah Mark I'd be up for 2 myself if you want to make a few of them.

OP
OP
Txcomp

Txcomp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I can make a few and get them out to you but don't want to get sideways with any moderators. Let me double check and make sure they're OK with it.

DuBDzO

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Jeep JL
Hello, just came across this post and really like your setup. Any chance you still happen to have the file ? I’d be more then willing to send some coffee change your way in order for me to laser 1 for my personal use.

Sponsored