Sponsored

Medium.com article on the 4xe... thoughts?

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
So there was an article released on the 10th of Sept by Medium and I was curious to know what people's thoughts are on the topics they raised? My 4xe is on order and I'm still waiting on mine but I'm curious to see what people who already have theirs's and had it for thousands of miles to counter the article's persepective.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
First thought: where the f*** is the editor? This writer didn’t even do a once over to proofread that shit.
Haha... yea I found a couple typos

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
Second thought: Dramatic and gross exaggeration. Some of that shit is just obvious and not going to surprise a single person other than this writer. “It won’t get good gas mileage when it’s not using battery.” Yeah. We know. That’s how hybrids work.

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
So there was an article released on the 10th of Sept by Medium and I was curious to know what people's thoughts are on the topics they raised? My 4xe is on order and I'm still waiting on mine but I'm curious to see what people who already have theirs's and had it for thousands of miles to counter the article's persepective.

He's writing his personal experience and opinion. Take it with a grain of salt and keep reading others' commentary.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Some of the points are accurate, but honestly it doesn't sound like any Jeep would be a good fit for the writer.

Yes the 4xe is loud (at times) for an EV. The A/C does sound like a bomb going off when it first starts up and the steering box is a little noisy. It's not this loud all the time though. In fact, most of my passengers have commented on how eerily quiet it is.

Yes the UConnect app is garbage. It takes several minutes for anything to happen if it even does happen. It's annoying but it I don't depend on the ability to remote start my Jeep from miles away so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

The "terrible MPG" comments are entirely subjective. The 4xe isn't a magic bullet for everyone, and it's still a Jeep so don't expect it to beat a Tesla or Prius. In my case, I do about 60% of my driving fully electric and the remaining 40% I get about 28-33MPG. I only charge at home using the slow Level 1 charger. A plug-in hybird is not the best choice for someone who drives 100 highway miles a day or goes on frequent long trips. However it is a fantastic option for someone who commutes around 20-30 miles per day with occasional longer drives.

Personally, I love my 4xe and I think it's the perfect vehicle for me.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

A lot of misleading and inflammatory language in this story. Several jeeps with issues (10+) Really 10 is several when they have likely sold 1000's of the 4xe's by now.

We all can sometimes get focused on the issues or potential issues when reading forums because we come here for advice when we have problems. That doesn't mean every Jeep will have the issues.

I would dismiss this article as 90% of what is written in it, is not even his experience.

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
A lot of misleading and inflammatory language in this story. Several jeeps with issues (10+) Really 10 is several when they have likely sold 1000's of the 4xe's by now.

We all can sometimes get focused on the issues or potential issues when reading forums because we come here for advice when we have problems. That doesn't mean every Jeep will have the issues.

I would dismiss this article as 90% of what is written in it, is not even his experience.
With everything I've read to date I think it's a moot point. The fuses were grossly discussed and is something I'm planning on looking when I pick mine up so it's not an issue. I don't know anything about how loud it is when on battery since I've only test driven one and it was for a limited time but I was curious about it.

The other topics were interesting to hear since I'm waiting on my first Jeep truthfully and excited to have it in my driveway. But it's good to hear everyone's perspective other than those that write reviews and think nothings wrong with it and it's the best thing since sliced bread...lol.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL

The 4xe has gotten some bad reviews (Car and Driver) with bad mileage (by those who don’t plug in) and the complexity being two of them. I think the simple answer is that you wait a few years before buying a car like this from Chrysler/Fiat/Peugeot, not three of the stars in producing reliable cars.
Sponsored