Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ‘07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
Despite working my way through all the threads on this forum on the “manual vs. auto” topic, I’d Like to spin this thread toward the issue of TOWING with the various drivetrain options. Clearly, there’s little agreement on the topic of which drivetrain is superior in general, however I’m looking for whoever might be willing to weigh in on my personal hypothetical drivetrain dilemma?

For reference, my towing will be light duty by most standards and consists of a teardrop camper that weighs about 1500 lbs fully loaded. The trailer has brakes and pulls beautifully behind my auto trans FJ Cruiser. However, it does give the FJ a pretty good workout in the mountains and bucking a strong headwind on the interstate at 75mph.

I’m looking at JLR’s and would likely be running 34/35” K02’s...and would like to avoid the need to regear if possible. I’ve narrowed my choices down to either the 1) manual with the required 3.6, or the 2) 2.0T with the required automatic. I’ve driven both and continue to struggle with the choice. It really comes down to this...

My heart tells me to get the stick. I think it will be more fun for everyday driving and I have little to no heavy traffic, start/stop traffic to deal with. It will work fine with the type and amount of “wheeling” I’d be doing and I like the lower price and simplicity. However, I, pretty confident after driving the stick that the gearing, even with the 4.10 of the Rubicon, won’t be ideal for towing, probably never using 5th or 6th gear, and reverse being a painful experience when backing into tight spaces. And, I fear even my light duty towing will expose the 3.6’s low RPM torque deficiencies. However, a significant factor leading me to the manual is that my wife strongly prefers it...which could be the deciding factor if I’m still on the fence when it comes time to order.

My head tells me to get the 2.0T with the automatic. The combination of the added low end torque of the 4 banger, coupled with the advantages of having a torque converter in the mix, as well as the advantages of the turbo at altitude makes this drivetrain seem ideal for towing our little camper. I’m also one of those where the fact that e-torque is NOT, in the mix on the 2020 Rubicons, is a selling point. I just couldn’t get excited by that complex hybrid system being a part of a utilitarian vehicle like I want my Jeep to be.

To keep it in perspective, we tow the camper on a couple of long trips (week+) and several weekend trips a year so towing isn’t a daily occurrence and it will be a daily driver otherwise. However, the Jeep is specifically being purchased as a replacement for our FJ, as a tow vehicle, and I realize the Wrangler isn’t an ideal tow vehicle, so I’m splitting hairs trying to optimize the Wrangler’s drivetrain competence in this capacity.

I appreciate anyone’s perspective on this issue and particularly welcome those who have towed with the combos I’m considering and can provide some comparison.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Golfshrink

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With all the manual vs. auto and 6 vs T4 talk around in this forum, I’m surprised no one has weighed in on my post above. Maybe it’s been discussed to death...beating a dead horse(?).

I was thinking the towing factor adds another variable to the equation...maybe exaggerating some of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the different drivetrains(?).

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I have a 3.6 6 speed manual Jlur I don’t tow with it I have a Ram 2500 6.4 hemi for that but I can tell you that a Jlu will handle weight better than a JL because of the extra wheelbase but since your towing 1500lb a 2 door would do just fine it’s your choice 3.6 or the 2.0 although the 3.6 is already a proven engine potentially more reliable the 8 speed will do better without a regear with 35s than the 6 speed (I’m going 35s and do not plan to regear) basically get what you want both will do just fine towing now I have pulled a old Ford F-350 Dually 7.3 cab and chassis it weighs 10000lb with my Jlur a few miles around town and it did awesome for a 4450lb Jeep happy jeeping:like:

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
You will not be happy with the 3.6L, 6MT, 35" tires and towing. I have a JLR and had my 35" tires/bead lock wheels (104 lbs?) on for a few thousand miles without re-gearing. I wasn't towing anything. It was bearable, but acceleration was noticeably less and I wasn't using 6th gear much at all. I have the stock tires/wheels back on now until I re-gear or need the 35" tires for wheeling. If you go 3.6L, 6MT, I would plan on a re-gear to 4.88.

Have you considered the 3.0L diesel? I don't know about it's reliability, but the torque curve looks pretty good.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dang 104 pound 35 inch combo that’s heavy did you have any armor aftermarket bumpers as well? I forgot to mention I live in DFW so I’m constantly doing 75MPH so if you live somewhere where you can’t get the rpm up that high I would regear with a manual.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Dang 104 pound 35 inch combo that’s heavy did you have any armor aftermarket bumpers as well? I forgot to mention I live in DFW so I’m constantly doing 75MPH so if you live somewhere where you can’t get the rpm up that high I would regear with a manual.
Tires are 61 lbs and wheels about 42 lbs plus some beads and TPMS. I do have after market bumpers front and rear, but they are stuby. I also have a Warn Xeon 10S up front, so maybe a total of 100 lbs more up front. In back I have a bumper mounted tire carrier with two Jerry can mounts and a muffler delete, so maybe another 100 lbs more in back. No additional armor yet (2-door options suck at the moment).

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a JLUR manual on 37s with stock 4.10 gears and recently did roughly 2000 miles towing a 1500-ish lb trailer through Hill country and Big Bend area. I wouldn't trade for an auto. Yes, the auto and 2.0 would be easier point-and-shoot... but boring. My 18' doesn't have adaptive cruise control and that kinda sucks trying to hold 80 up a hill. I'd typically go from 6th on a downhill to 3rd to climb the next. The 3.6 is perfectly happy at wide-open throttle and 5500 rpm, temp never climbed more than maybe 10 degrees to about 215.

Bottom line, you may never have another opportunity to a manual transmission ANYTHING, and this is a fantastic transmission (98% of manual complaints are related to the motor). Show Jeep (and the rest of the automotive universe) that we STILL WANT manual transmission options.

OP
OP
Golfshrink

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all who are responding. This is exactly the kind of discussion I’m looking for. This is such a tricky decision without comprehensive choices between the drivetrains. If I had my druthers, I think the 2.0T with a manual would be great! Despite the fact that I lust for that diesel, I’ve ruled it out primarily because we’re almost exclusively looking at a 2 door. So in the end, it’s about prioritizing what we WANT and what we NEED...and what we can live with. For us, we want a 2 door, soft top enough it narrows the choices after that. We also want a Jeep capable of taking us and our trailer off the beaten path AND “doesn’t look like a little mail truck” as my wife would say...leading to the mild lift and small bump in tire size (she’s very opinionated about the stance...and as much as I’d like to think I’m all about function over form, I dig the lift/tire look too).

So, given the above wants, I need to mitigate, to the extent possible, the limitations of the 2 door with it’s shorter wheelbase and towing shortcomings to pull around our little camper without feeling uncomfortable or being unsafe. While the 4 door with the diesel would probably be the optimal choice, it’s just not in the cards.

Somewhere in the middle of all this is the fact that we want a manual but I’m starting to conclude the auto may be a better choice overall...and despite my appreciation for Toycrushers sentiments, the more practical choice (in the world of a completely impractical JLR), is probably the 2.0T with the 8 speed.

Not in a big hurry to buy so still appreciate hearing input on this.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol little mail truck :CWL: like I said above more than anything get what you and your wife want.

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
I've been following my heart with these decisions, it's unlike me but hey. I mean the 2-door is a case of the heart winning out over the head already, that 4 door is practical. (I ordered a 2 door to replace my FJ) You can make any of these options work, right? A necessary re-gear at worst, not so bad really.

The turbo won't have any torque until it spins up, then it will have a lot. This doesn't really decide for you but you can make that option work too I'm sure. Larger displacement would be a more traditional choice for towing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Golfshrink

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been following my heart with these decisions, it's unlike me but hey. I mean the 2-door is a case of the heart winning out over the head already, that 4 door is practical. (I ordered a 2 door to replace my FJ) You can make any of these options work, right? A necessary re-gear at worst, not so bad really.

The turbo won't have any torque until it spins up, then it will have a lot. This doesn't really decide for you but you can make that option work too I'm sure. Larger displacement would be a more traditional choice for towing.
I appreciate your insight, particularly since you’re also coming from an FJ. I’ll be keeping the FJ and the JL will be a replacement for my wife’s Outback...talk about a change...from the practicality of the Outback to a 2 door, manual JL! The cost of regear on the manual looks to be about the same as the option cost of the 2.0T with auto, which makes the money factor kinda a non-issue.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Now your talking! Life is too full of practicality! Go for the 2-door manual! It's headed towards extinction, you won't get another chance, don't be (to quote one of my favorite movies) "an old man filled with regret"... tell the grandkids about your hairy 2-door manual adventures! not about the time you struggled to stay awake in your old Subarubicon...

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I don't have any experience towing with a manual, but your question reminded me of this video I watch recently of somebody towing too much weight with a manual V6 Gladiator.

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
In 99 I got a Dakota, manual trans v8 manutal door locks, short cab! I was thankful, sure it was the last time I'd find such a simple machine. 2009 I had two good options, jeep and FJ, again certain I'd never get anything but an automatic unibody frame vehicle. 2019 and I still have one good option, Jeep, I'm so thankful they're making this niche vehicle. The 4 runner is supposed to fill the niche the FJ was in and it just doesn't, 700 lbs heavier, 10 inches longer, 20 degree approach angles, automatic only.

I don't know if you can tell, but I replace my car every 10 years. I love the FJ but it's time.
Sponsored