intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Don’t you have manual?

I just regeared my manual sport jl. Makes a world of difference, cant wait to offroad it now.

Also, has anyone heard of this. I got the re gear done and now i have a “service stop/start system” not that i really care cause now i finally got rid of that feature
Lol, I must have been a few drinks in when I made that other post.

Yeah I have a manaul and the 5.13's I regeared to were nice but not enough with 37's. I swapped in a rubicon transfer case and its the greatest mod I have ever done. Only thing better would have been an atlas.

I too have the same warning. I'll send you a Pdf from Jeep saying how to fix it. Its sort of a pita so I have not done it yet.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, a manual off road road is more pain than it’s worth unless you have the transfer case gearing/ axle gearing. For most the population..auto 100%.

If you have a manual and a sport t case and still disagree. You are not rock crawling BIG obstacles.
You wouldn’t say manual trans if you were. If you do and disagree..meet me on the Rubicon this year and then fordyce.p
Uh, I rock crawled all over Moab including many big obstacles over a week in October.

You are kind of setting this up against the manual. I wouldn't rock crawl over the obstacles I did there in a sport with an auto, either. It wouldn't make it over the stuff we did.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Uh, I rock crawled all over Moab including many big obstacles over a week in October.

You are kind of setting this up against the manual. I wouldn't rock crawl over the obstacles I did there in a sport with an auto, either. It wouldn't make it over the stuff we did.
The auto wouldn’t make it over the obstacle? How does that work?

I’m just saying it’s so much more enjoyable being able to crawl slow, not that it’s impossible or less fun. A tad more stressful though for sure in certain situations.

Moab and the Rubicon/ Fordyce are much different types of trails though.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

I’m just saying it’s so much more enjoyable being able to crawl slow, not that it’s impossible or less fun. A tad more stressful though for sure in certain situations.

You probably have the 3.6 I take it?

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, I must have been a few drinks in when I made that other post.

Yeah I have a manaul and the 5.13's I regeared to were nice but not enough with 37's. I swapped in a rubicon transfer case and its the greatest mod I have ever done. Only thing better would have been an atlas.

I too have the same warning. I'll send you a Pdf from Jeep saying how to fix it. Its sort of a pita so I have not done it yet.
Hoping i should be fine on small “35s” with 4.56. It is nice but i can see where the 4-1 would be great with the manual

What about your back up camera? Mines gone when i go in reverse

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I get what you were trying to say, but it isn't the way it came across. Here's what I meant, but said previously in the terms you used...If a Sport with a manual can't get over an obstacle, then a Sport set up the same way with an auto won't get over it, either, assuming the driver in the manual is skilled in its use.

For some of us, challenges are not stressful. That's the whole point of off-roading, isn't it? If you know how to use it, the manual does just fine, even on the gnarliest trails. If it isn't for you, then great. The auto is awesome. But don't say that there is something a manual can't do. I wheel all the time with Jeeps with autos, including Moab. I've never once encountered an obstacle where the manual transmission was the limiting factor. Not in my JL, JK, or even YJ.

I guess you could say that drivers not skilled with manuals won't be able to do what they could do in an auto. That's probably true, especially in a society where few people know how to drive a manual, and fewer are actually skilled with it.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I want to change my opinion after wheeling in moab. I love my manual. It was so easy to run in 4L and 1st gear, just let off the clutch and add throttle as needed. Can easily brake to a near stop. Did not have to worry about going down hill either. Was surprisingly easy

brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t you have manual?

I just regeared my manual sport jl. Makes a world of difference, cant wait to offroad it now.

Also, has anyone heard of this. I got the re gear done and now i have a “service stop/start system” not that i really care cause now i finally got rid of that feature
yup. once we got the 5.13s installed we get it once we get above 45.

brett

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Hoping i should be fine on small “35s” with 4.56. It is nice but i can see where the 4-1 would be great with the manual

What about your back up camera? Mines gone when i go in reverse
Mine is gone too. Oh and check your reverse lights..lol those are gone until you restart Jeep.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I get what you were trying to say, but it isn't the way it came across. Here's what I meant, but said previously in the terms you used...If a Sport with a manual can't get over an obstacle, then a Sport set up the same way with an auto won't get over it, either, assuming the driver in the manual is skilled in its use.

For some of us, challenges are not stressful. That's the whole point of off-roading, isn't it? If you know how to use it, the manual does just fine, even on the gnarliest trails. If it isn't for you, then great. The auto is awesome. But don't say that there is something a manual can't do. I wheel all the time with Jeeps with autos, including Moab. I've never once encountered an obstacle where the manual transmission was the limiting factor. Not in my JL, JK, or even YJ.

I guess you could say that drivers not skilled with manuals won't be able to do what they could do in an auto. That's probably true, especially in a society where few people know how to drive a manual, and fewer are actually skilled with it.
Not saying a manual couldn’t do it but you simply won’t have as much control as an auto imo. Unless you have a really low crawl ratio.

Slow controlled crawling equals traction and less chance to break parts.

It’s a world of difference with the 4-1 case.

It’s just nice being able to crawl soooo slow and not worry about it stalling in tough sections.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is gone too. Oh and check your reverse lights..lol those are gone until you restart Jeep.
If you are running larger tires, the computer will disable ESS around 45mph, which also knocks out the back up cam. This is due to the speedometer not being corrected for the larger tires. When I marry the Tazer and correct for tire size, this does not happen. So, you'll need either a Tazer, Superchip, AEV, or dealer program/programmer to make the correction and the problem will be solved.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not saying a manual couldn’t do it but you simply won’t have as much control as an auto imo. Unless you have a really low crawl ratio.

Slow controlled crawling equals traction and less chance to break parts.

It’s a world of difference with the 4-1 case.

It’s just nice being able to crawl soooo slow and not worry about it stalling in tough sections.
I almost got rearended by a guy who had all that control of his Auto on Hell's Revenge. He forgot to engage hill descent and came barreling down the hill, out of control. I saw him in the rear view cam and moved over. He missed me by only a couple feet. Again, it all boils down to experience and skill, even with an auto.

I do agree that that the auto is easier. I don't agree that it is more capable. It does have advantages in some situations, but so does a manual. The auto won't do anything a manual can't do with an experienced and skilled driver.

I still wouldn't steer someone away from the manual who really wants one but is inexperienced. Driving them is how you get experience. Nobody's born with it.

Here is a great video that I think fairly compares the pros/cons of each. Ronnie is very experience, and chose a manual, but does show some places where an auto has an advantage, but also the other way around. (Going to Western Australia and wheeling with Ronnie is on my bucket list of dream trips, btw.)

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are running larger tires, the computer will disable ESS around 45mph, which also knocks out the back up cam. This is due to the speedometer not being corrected for the larger tires. When I marry the Tazer and correct for tire size, this does not happen. So, you'll need either a Tazer, Superchip, AEV, or dealer program/programmer to make the correction and the problem will be solved.
I corrected mine for tires and gears with the tazer mini. Still have the light. Would love to figure out what it’s having the problem with.

Brett

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I corrected mine for tires and gears with the tazer mini. Still have the light. Would love to figure out what it’s having the problem with.

Brett
You might need an update then. That's a puzzler.
Sponsored