Looking for some motorcycle advice

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I don't go into my office anymore (fully remote since last year) but I used to commute on it. It doesn't feel heavy to me, but I'm comparing it to my Tenere. It's an old school design and not powerful (35-40hp maybe). I like it but its not everyone's cup of tea. Kawasali has recently updated it, but its still basically the same bike.
Bryce I have not owned a KLR but have ridden and worked on them. As long as Rhys can live with the shortcomings of suspension and brakes, there is really no bike that can compete with it in reliability. The damn things are just bulletproof!!

BTW what an upgrade to the Super Tenere!! I'm a mostly off road guy. My last street bike was a Ninja 650R. That was my cross country machine. This Super Tenere is absolutely that most comfortable and feature rich bike I have ever swung a leg over.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Bryce I have not owned a KLR but have ridden and worked on them. As long as Rhys can live with the shortcomings of suspension and brakes, there is really no bike that can compete with it in reliability. The damn things are just bulletproof!!

BTW what an upgrade to the Super Tenere!! I'm a mostly off road guy. My last street bike was a Ninja 650R. That was my cross country machine. This Super Tenere is absolutely that most comfortable and feature rich bike I have ever swung a leg over.
I had an 06 Ninja 650. Fantastic engine, but I found my legs cramped on it. I bought it new and sold it when I got my Super Tenere in 2015.
Great bike.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for some motorcycle advice Screenshot_20210822-111755_Facebook

I've got my KLRs suspension sorted out. Ricor Rear Shock ond Ricor Intiminators and Progressive springs in the forks. A few thousand miles ago, I did an Eagle Mike 685cc kit on it. The 08s are known to burn oil and the 685 refresh fixed that.

The Tenere has been a total pleasure to own. Many long trips. Sadelsore 1000s. Last year I made it to the Black Hills from Georgia for a get away. Other than routine maint, I did have to replace the seals in the final drive, but that was really easier than expected. I'm over 50,000 miles on it now and I have no desire to replace it any time soon. I went to buy a R1200GSA, but came home with it and a bunch of money left over. The only time I don't like it is on the rare occasion that I run out of talent and need to pick it up.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
That was my first new motorcycle!! I was a poor 19 year old and my uncle co-signed for me to get it. I remember lining up that little dot in the window to find TDC. Thank you for the memory Jeff!!
Ahh yes, the little dot so the compression wouldn't break your leg when you used the kick starter. I'd forgotten about that.

Another useful thing I discovered while on my 3,000 mile St. Louis - Key West - St. Louis trip was that the off-road ability of it came in handy for creating an early exit a mile or so before arriving at the Florida toll booths. Oh, the memories.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have owned and ridden 16 different dual sport/enduros from the 60's to 2010 but not in the last 10 years. IMHO and experience from ten years back, a DR-Z400S was the sweet spot. Not too much of anything but enough. I use to spend a lot of time on the ADVRiders website and did a far amount of Moto camping. KLR650's and such where just to big for serious trails, BTDT. KLR650 had a weak spot BTW, the doohickey haha
Sponsored

Last edited: