Sponsored

We’re looking at either TJ’s or JK’s (probably 2dr’s) Any advice on what to look out for?

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It’s going to be a 3rd vehicle and my daughter will probably be driving it most of the time.

Does anyone have advice as to what to look for when inspecting one? How about engines to look for along with other options? I’m open to any of the Sports, Saharas, and Rubicon automatics.

Thanks
Sponsored

Lab1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sting Gray, '20 M340i
It’s going to be a 3rd vehicle and my daughter will probably be driving it most of the time.

Does anyone have advice as to what to look for when inspecting one? How about engines to look for along with other options? I’m open to any of the Sports, Saharas, and Rubicon automatics.

Thanks
2007-2011 his had a 3.8l that was susceptible to head gasket issues, it also was well under powered although that may not be a concern for your purpose. Not much wrong all around with any TJs but they are most certainly going to have higher mileage so consider how long you plan to have this. I don’t say this because it’s going to die but rather to understand what maintenance issues you may have to deal with. The TJ is much more simple than the JK or JL but damn they were easy to work on and that 4.0l was damn near bullet proof. Look over the linkage for the auto trans- they weakened after a while like any other back then, look for diff leaks, and rust- always look for rust.

OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
2007-2011 his had a 3.8l that was susceptible to head gasket issues, it also was well under powered although that may not be a concern for your purpose. Not much wrong all around with any TJs but they are most certainly going to have higher mileage so consider how long you plan to have this. I don’t say this because it’s going to die but rather to understand what maintenance issues you may have to deal with. The TJ is much more simple than the JK or JL but damn they were easy to work on and that 4.0l was damn near bullet proof. Look over the linkage for the auto trans- they weakened after a while like any other back then, look for diff leaks, and rust- always look for rust.
Thanks for the heads up on those. I was thinking that maybe less is more and simplicity might be a good thing. On the JK, I’d want the 3.6 for sure.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Avoid the 3.8L in the older JKs like the plague and avoid the 2.5L in the older TJs if you can. The 2.5L isn't the worst engine in the world, but it was never fun in a Wrangler.

If you go the TJ route, definitely check the frame for rust. I don't know if rust is a huge issue where you're at, but some of the early model TJs had a tendency to retain water in the frame near the control arm brackets.

If you go the JK route, I wouldn't go older than 2015. That's about the time Chrysler and FIAT got their shit together and ironed out a lot of the bugs, especially with the Pentastar. That engine was rough in its starting years from bad cylinder heads to faulty oil pressure sensors.

And, of course, if you happen to get your hands on a Rubicon LJ for a good price, you hold onto that thing for forever.
Sponsored