Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I have an infant seat in the center of my stock JLUR. It doesn't fit comfortably behind either of the driver or passenger seats. It's a pain in the ass to get baby in and out. My 5'4" wife can't do it at all.

With that said, it's totally doable, just not nearly as easy as a normal vehicle.

I assume it will be much easier once the little one can be forward facing.
This^
I have a 5-year-old grandson who sits in a forward-facing car seat that I positioned in the center position of the rear seat. My 18-month-old granddaughter uses a rear-facing car seat and, as gcnd06 said, it is a pure pain in the ass to wrestle her seat in and out of the Jeep, but it can be done. We sure had a whole lot more room in my Ram 1500 pickup trucks! :)
Sponsored

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
I have leather seats and a chico keyfit 30. Fits fine in the middle(rear facing) but doesn't fit behind either driver or passenger seat comfortably, at least for me. I'm 5'10". To clarify, I have the base installed so am usually lugging the entire seat w/baby(prob 30lbs at this point) in and out which makes it much more of a pain. If I leave the seat installed in the base and just put baby in once seat is already in jeep, it's not as bad.

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
EC63F998-52F7-4028-8126-C1B8DA43D226.jpeg
My last Jeep, a 2017 JKU had a mopar 4” lift with 35” tires.
My wife and kids constantly complained about the difficulties of entering and exiting. I installed my sons car seat in the middle (safest spot) and it was a pain to sit him in and buckle em’ up. I’m 5’ 11”
The good thing was that the Jeep was not a daily driver, mostly a weekend toy. But it was extremely uncomfortable and difficult to sit my son inside his car seat each time.
When I got my new JLU rubicon. My wife approved the purchase as long as I did not lift it. Haha.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
EC63F998-52F7-4028-8126-C1B8DA43D226.jpeg
My last Jeep, a 2017 JKU had a mopar 4” lift with 35” tires.
My wife and kids constantly complained about the difficulties of entering and exiting. I installed my sons car seat in the middle (safest spot) and it was a pain to sit him in and buckle em’ up. I’m 5’ 11”
The good thing was that the Jeep was not a daily driver, mostly a weekend toy. But it was extremely uncomfortable and difficult to sit my son inside his car seat each time.
When I got my new JLU rubicon. My wife approved the purchase as long as I did not lift it. Haha.
let me guess - you said ok babe, got the JLUR and now you are thinking about the lift (if you haven't done it already).

Been there! Done that!!

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
We got my JK a little too late for the car seat years but another thing to consider if your better half's clothing choices. I only got to take the family to church in the JK once. My 5'2" wife could not climb into the Jeep while wearing a skirt. Something about hiking her skirt up to her thighs in the parking lot of an Apostolic Church didn't sit too well. To this day when we get in my Cherokee (JK was sold for a Lexus and I'm waiting on the 2019 JL) I have to open her door and run around and get in my seat and hoist her in.
Sponsored