Let's See Some JLU Gutter Mounted Crossbars

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Do you have any reservations putting the front part of the rack on the freedom panels?
It probably isn't the best in terms of strength but I wanted to keep my canoes and kayaks relatively balanced over the bars.

Only negative thing I can think of is the fixed width of the bars. The bars won't allow you to mount two canoes side by side and although you can mount two kayaks using a J-frame, it won't be easy. At least for a person who's relatively short.
Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I have Thule gutter-mounted racks. The knobs come without locks, but like most Thule accessories, locks are optional. You can buy up to 8 locks at a time, so that they are all keyed alike. You can also transfer locks between accessories, such as ski carriers to bicycle carriers, depending upon season.

In general, Thule is an investment. I have crossbars and various carriers dating back to 1984. New vehicle? Many times all I needed was a new mount kit consisting of rubber pads and clamps, or sometimes new feet, depending upon the vehicle. Buy once, cry once.

Unfortunately, Thule has gone to slotted crossbars, even on their classic rectangular bars. That in itself is not a problem, but some of the new accessory carriers don't fit the former solid cross bars and vice versa. Be sure to download and read the instructons on any new carriers, if you are using legacy crossbars and/or feet.

Good Luck!

MH

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I see some folks are mounting these racks to the freedom panels. For safety reasons, you might want to avoid this since the freedom panels are the weak links to this setup. Aerodynamic lifting forces can be quite high and the freedom panels are not designed to support these load levels.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I see some folks are mounting these racks to the freedom panels. For safety reasons, you might want to avoid this since the freedom panels are the weak links to this setup. Aerodynamic lifting forces can be quite high and the freedom panels are not designed to support these load levels.
I don't dispute that but I was just following the instructions provided by Rhino rack.

Moving the bars rearwards would be fine for something short like a tent or a recreational kayak. But I'm guessing that it wouldn't be feasible for an 18' 75lb sea kayak.

Hmm... maybe it's an excuse for me to trade up to Gladiator. :devil:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thule says the bars are rated for 220lb dynamic per pair. They do not speak to what the hardtop can handle.
Static weight is usually a good bit higher, which is the rating for when you are sleeping in it. Does it feel pretty solid? What tent are you using?

The three bars is a great idea to spread the load. The center one lines up pretty well with the C pillar, which should be a strong point on the hard top.