Just ordered the 2018 Sahara JL

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Hey Everyone, just ordered my 1st Jeep and it is a 2018 Sahara JL. Does anyone have a comments or recommendation on the bwlow options. I ordered them but not sure if i ahould keep them. -Lighting package
-Alpine upgraded stereo: is it worth the extra cost
-Remote start
-Tow HD package
-Zoebart rustproofing/deadoning

Thanks and looking forward to getting my Sahara.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about the seats, does it help with protecting the seats?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Hey Everyone, just ordered my 1st Jeep and it is a 2018 Sahara JL. Does anyone have a comments or recommendation on the bwlow options. I ordered them but not sure if i ahould keep them. -Lighting package
-Remote start
-Tow HD package

Congrats on your ordering your JLU!

Yes on the LED lighting group. I'd forget the the Zoebart. Yes, on the Electronic Infotainment System Group. Do not order the All Weather Mats... If you do they do not give you the carpeted mats. You can get the OEM All Weather Mats on eBAY for less then what you pay if you put them on your order. You might like to add the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
How about the seats, does it help with protecting the seats?
Not worth the $. A dealer $ grab for sure. You can always Scotch Guard them yourself if you want to. You want protection from beach sand, sun, damp bathing suits, sweaty bod, do consider Wet Okole seat covers or similar when they are available for the JL/JLU.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Tow HD package
Eddie: first, congratulations. May your Wrangler be built quickly and correctly and provide you with years of reliable service and enjoyment.

I can't tell you whether or not the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group is right for you. What I think I can do though is tell you the relevant factors upon which a solid decision on whether to get this option or not is right for most people.

Bias: I did not get this option. But that's because *for me* its appeal came in the only way I could get a factory tow hitch: the only thing in the package that was appealing to *me* (your mileage and others might vary here and is entirely justified in doing so.)

I am the guy who occasionally tows some rented tool, like a stump grinder from the tool rental place. And for me, buying the hitch in the aftermarket (the JK hitches ARE compatible) at $100 and putting it on myself was a no brainer.

I'm not the most handy guy when it comes to automobiles. But this hitch is simply 4 bolts and is one of the easiest hitches of any vehicle to install. Many other vehicles require you to temporarily drop the muffler, snake bolts through vehicle beams, use special bolts with break away handles on them (been there done that.)

Additionally, you'll also need the electrical kit that attaches to the brake light and provides a 4 pin connector so that which you tow can be street legal and display its brake lights.

If you are, on the other hand, the kind of person who tows stuff with its own brakes, you may prefer the factory installed hitch, which features such electronics via its 7 pin adapter.

Also--as you realize, the tow group comes with many more excellent features than simply the hitch. If you're an owner likely to tap into the vehicle's power system, installing accessories like lights and winches, and what not, this additional power of the option, not to mention its aux switches to hook up such things, may be right for you.

Be safe!

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
-Remote start
-Tow HD package

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No

OP
OP

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Greg,
Thanks for the info. Did you consider the 7 year/75,000 mile warranty. It is well over $2100. Also, I did order the cold weather group but I took it off because I live in Florida. I did keep the remote start as I have that option on my current SUV. Any comments on the LED Group, Zoebart rust proofing and Alpine upgraded Radio? Does the regular radio suffice?

Thanks Eddie

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
The upgraded radio is awesome. Well if you like to listen to your music nice and loud. I haven't had the top off yet (still winter here), but I'm sure that's going to make it well worth it.

I love the LED lights too. I had the standard lights on my rental (right after I got my JL) and I really missed the lights, especially when I was in the pitch black of the mountains.

Hope this helps.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The upgraded radio is awesome. Well if you like to listen to your music nice and loud. I haven't had the top off yet (still winter here), but I'm sure that's going to make it well worth it.

I love the LED lights too. I had the standard lights on my rental (right after I got my JL) and I really missed the lights, especially when I was in the pitch black of the mountains.

Hope this helps.
;)Shawn, would it be correct to say that " I haven't had the top off yet (still winter here)," and "I just died my hair green and went to the movies," are example of statement that each feature two independent thoughts having nothing to do with each other?;)

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Greg,
Thanks for the info. Did you consider the 7 year/75,000 mile warranty. It is well over $2100. Also, I did order the cold weather group but I took it off because I live in Florida. I did keep the remote start as I have that option on my current SUV. Any comments on the LED Group, Zoebart rust proofing and Alpine upgraded Radio? Does the regular radio suffice?

Thanks Eddie
Search this forum for threads about the MaxCare warranties. There is a lot of mark up and room for negotiations in the MSRPs. I got the lifetime warranty with $100 deductible for roughly $2900 from my dealer. Some people have gotten better deals. I believe you can find dealer(s) on here that will sell them at discounted prices even if you didn’t purchase your Jeep from them.

OP
OP

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for your input. It justify' s me getting the options that I ordered. I will probably remove the ziebart rustproofing. Can't wait to get my jeep.

Eddie

OP
OP

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know about the convienance group and safety group for the Sahara? N9t sure if I should I should get these. Thanks.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Does anyone know about the convienance group and safety group for the Sahara? N9t sure if I should I should get these. Thanks.
Well you said you ordered a Sahara and there is no Convenience Group. That is for a Sport model that gives you the integrated garage door opener in the visor (which is standard on Sahara) and remote start.

Safety group gets you:

Blind spot monitoring - light appears in side view mirror if somebody is in your blind spot

Park Sense - Will give audible beeps when backing up if anything is detected that you may back into

LED Tail Lamps - You will get these if you have not selected the LED package. If you have the LED package you get these already so the price of this package will go down like $100.00

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@RussJeep1 .. I have to say I disagree with you on whether to or not to get the optional "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" which will cost you $795.00 to add to a new JL/JLU purchase.

-Sure, if all you want, is a trailer hitch to mount your bicycle rack or similar with and you have no need of trailer wiring, then and only then do I believe it is wise for someone ... a novice to not purchase the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

Indeed, the basic "trailer hitch" alone costs about $100 and the install is straight forward and sure it can be done easily by most people. Or, yes, you can pay a guy/gal to do the install of the hitch and that costs you $75 lets say. Ok, you got the trailer hitch alone and you need no trailer wiring package so yes, $175+- and you're good to go and for cheap.. Way less expensive then paying for the $795 Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

Where the problem lies is if you need a hitch and the wiring that would be required to tow a legal trailer.... even a little utility trailer.

With the JL, you need the trailer hitch that will run you $100+- and the trailer wiring kit that will run you say $200+-. Now you are up to $300+ for parts alone.

Now, you can have the dealer and or small shop do the hitch and wiring kit install but, I can tell you they are going to get you for around $200 in labor +-. So, now you are up to $500+-. For $500+- you got the trailer hitch and wiring and the install.

You may have a so so install, broken panel clips in the JL and whatever. Hopefully, the guy was in fact a good installer and did it correctly. Trailer wiring that goes sour over time can be a major hassle to square away.

Anyway, in this scenario, yes you save $295 versus the $795 but get less, gain more hassles, get no $ credit for factory installed Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group at resale time, etc.. You also don't have the HD Electrical Group that in itself is a terrific addition to a JL.

In closing I say do go with the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group package if you plan on towing a street legal trailer! Sure for the guy that needs a trailer hitch for his bike rack and no wiring, get the $100 hitch.

Now, I know someone will chime in and say geeeez, I can easily easily do the hitch install and wiring myself and save hundreds. I'll save the $295.00.. I will chuckle at this, as whether you are mechanically inclined or not or even a dealer tech, the wiring install is going to be a major pain in the arse.

Sure if your time is worth little, you love a challenge, you don't mind broken clips, you don't mind cussing out loud and you don't mind not having the HD Electrical Group on your JL then go for it.... do save the $295.00.

Reality is, for the average Joe that wants to trailer.. to tow a legal trailer with his JL, his best bet is to just spend the $795 an get the optional Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

With this he gets 0 headaches, a properly installed Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group, with all the goodies that it entails. Oh, and yes, will cost him $295 more then the guy that went through all the hassles, has all the shortcomings of having not gotten the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group at purchase time of their JL.

Disclaimer: Indeed, somewhere down the line, maybe in a few months, there will be an inexpensive, easy easy to install, trailer wiring alternative for the JL/JLU. For now though there is no such animal.
Sponsored