Sponsored

JTops or Spiderweb shade?

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
JTops looked good but I wanted only the front so went with Spiderweb which I loved on my JK. The JL install does not require you to take the windshield all the way down, I pulled it forward a little and did not have to remove the wipers. No issues with it other than I left it on last winter because I was too lazy to remove it due to the small increase in effort due to the windshield.
Is leaving it on in the winter a problem? Obviously it's not needed but will leavibg it on in the winter with a soft top damage anything?
Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I have a question for Jtops users. Iā€™d love to have the option to roll back just the front portion of my full spidershade (basically the rear passengers would have shade) but short of removing the clips from the glass, that canā€™t be done.

Could the jtops be configured in a way that you might could unsnap a few front buckles and roll the front portion back and secure? I notice with the magnet strip itā€™s a lot easier to get loose.

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I purchased the Spiderwebshade about a year ago and installed it on my JLU. Just discovered yesterday that the shade has wore the paint down to the bare metal. The damage is on the top of the rear rollbar. I loved this shade but if it's going to damage my Jeep I'm not going to keep it. I had posted in the JL page on FB about this and everyone advised that the shade should have come with 3M tape to stop this but I never received the tape or I would have installed it. As per the recommendations from my FB post I ordered a Jtop today. Fingers crossed it does not damage my Jeep.

Jeep Damage.jpg

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I purchased the Spiderwebshade about a year ago and installed it on my JLU. Just discovered yesterday that the shade has wore the paint down to the bare metal. The damage is on the top of the rear rollbar. I loved this shade but if it's going to damage my Jeep I'm not going to keep it. I had posted in the JL page on FB about this and everyone advised that the shade should have come with 3M tape to stop this but I never received the tape or I would have installed it. As per the recommendations from my FB post I ordered a Jtop today. Fingers crossed it does not damage my Jeep.

Jeep Damage.jpg
That definitely sucks I ordered a SW shade a couple weeks ago and mine came with a small roll almost like a cigar with the 3m tape. Good luck with the jtop.

Sponsored

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This.

For the JK, Spiderweb Shade was the way to go. For the JL, not so much.

The JTops fits great and with the wet suit material under the straps and buckles, it won't mar the paint. They mount better than any of the others without the need to fish around the header or drop the windshield. They are a little spendy, but well worth it IMO.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
This.

For the JK, Spiderweb Shade was the way to go. For the JL, not so much.

The JTops fits great and with the wet suit material under the straps and buckles, it won't mar the paint. They mount better than any of the others without the need to fish around the header or drop the windshield. They are a little spendy, but well worth it IMO.
So Wightmn (or anyone else with these products) I'm looking into a sun top and deciding between Spiderweb & Jtops. I found this thread and curious if your still happy with the JTops... penny for your thoughts! FYI, I've got a 2020 JLU.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
I hated the J-tops on my JKU, hopefully for you early adopters the JLU version is more user friendly especially with top and door surrounds on.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hated the J-tops on my JKU, hopefully for you early adopters the JLU version is more user friendly especially with top and door surrounds on.
Hmmm... just learning about both of these products. So, they changed the adapter technology on the JLU's? When you say "door surrounds", you mean with an installed soft top , correct?

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Wife has a spiderweb on her JLU, itā€™s great. I have a JLU on order, and a JTops on order. Weā€™lls see how that works out once they both arrive.
Sold my JTops and bought a Spiderweb Shade for mine too.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my JTops and bought a Spiderweb Shade for mine too.
Ahhh, so you've got a JLU as well... what issues triggered you to switch to the Spiderweb?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Ahhh, so you've got a JLU as well... what issues triggered you to switch to the Spiderweb?
Fitment of grab handles, soft top parts, hardtop front panels and the JTops buckles. Those buckles are always in the way. Wife and I both have JLU Saharas. Both spiderwebs, after trying one JTops. May not be for everyone, but to each their own.

Last edited:

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Figment of grab handles, soft top parts, hardtop front panels and the JTops buckles. Those buckles are always in the way. Wife and I both have JLU Saharas. Both spiderwebs, after trying on JTops. May not be for everyone, but to each their own.
Good perspective to keep in mind... thanks for the feedback.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The JTops fits perfect and with the wet suit material under the straps and buckles, it won't mar the paint. It fits super tight, is extremely durable. I have had it on for 2 years on my 2018 JLU..Also their customer service is amazing.
Sponsored