Sponsored

JTops or Spiderweb shade?

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I have a 4 door hardtop. I do not have a soft top, so that will not interfere with anything.

I’d like to get a sunshade and would like to hear from owners of only the 2 shades mentioned in the title what you think of them, pros and cons. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

scottw

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
I originally went with JTops. The materials were top notch and their customer support was great. Unfortunately, I found that it often sagged in the front way to much for me. This made it feel very confined to me. I think part of this is I am 6'3", so I don't expect this will be an issue for everyone. In the end, I returned the JTop.

I have a brother who is actually a couple of inches taller. He went with the SpiderWeb and has not had any issues, so on Friday I placed an order for the SpiderWeb.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Wife has a spiderweb on her JLU, it’s great. I have a JLU on order, and a JTops on order. We’lls see how that works out once they both arrive.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Don't overlook the Alienshade. You can get the 2 piece design for a JLU and there is zero flapping or paint abrasion. The rear shade portion should be out anyday now, they have not released it yet. I am running my front shade only currently and love it.

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Don't overlook the Alienshade. You can get the 2 piece design for a JLU and there is zero flapping or paint abrasion. The rear shade portion should be out anyday now, they have not released it yet. I am running my front shade only currently and love it.
I was looking at their site earlier today. I prefer the taught look the single sunshade over the front seats vs the one that spans all 4 seats and over the top of the crossbar of the JLU. Does the same cover work for the front and the rear - meaning you just order a pair and install them independently?

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I was looking at their site earlier today. I prefer the taught look the single sunshade over the front seats vs the one that spans all 4 seats and over the top of the crossbar of the JLU. Does the same cover work for the front and the rear - meaning you just order a pair and install them independently?
If you read my post, I said that they have not released the rear shade yet, so no you can't buy two fronts and use one for the rear. The shades are custom fit for front/rear. The rear shade should be available very soon though.

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
If you read my post, I said that they have not released the rear shade yet, so no you can't buy two fronts and use one for the rear. The shades are custom fit for front/rear. The rear shade should be available very soon though.
Whoops, hopped over to alienshade and stopped reading too soon.. thanks..

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon
I originally went with JTops. The materials were top notch and their customer support was great. Unfortunately, I found that it often sagged in the front way to much for me. This made it feel very confined to me. I think part of this is I am 6'3", so I don't expect this will be an issue for everyone. In the end, I returned the JTop.

I have a brother who is actually a couple of inches taller. He went with the SpiderWeb and has not had any issues, so on Friday I placed an order for the SpiderWeb.

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
36EBEC4F-359D-42EB-99F5-B56FBA1FF0DA.jpeg
Scott, this is Mike from JTops. I would like to address your comments.
As we discussed when properly installed there is should not be any sag in the front. It’s important that the magnets strip be positioned directly over the aluminum reinforcing rod. We use this method of attachment so top can be installed easily. It requires no tools or the need to spend a half an hour to remove the wiper blades and lower the windshield when installing or removing the top like SpiderWebShade.
Both tops sit even with with the roll cage so how there is more headroom with the bungee shade is baffling.
Thank you for trying our product and we appreciate your comments. Feedback is what helps us make a better product and become a more responsive company.

scottw

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Thanks for the follow up Mike. In short:
  1. I could not get the JTop shade to be as tight/snug as the SpiderWebShade.
  2. Over time, the JTop shade would loosen. So even when I got it as snug, it would start to sag the next morning.
Having said that, there are many parts of JTop that are far superior to Spider.
  1. It was kind of fun to put the windshield down once, zero desire to do it ever again
  2. On the spider shade I have to pull back the front to connect the softtop. I much prefer your open to fold the top back.
  3. Your (JTop) materials feel like they are better quality
  4. Your top extends further in the front and on the sides. I have no idea why Spider doesn't at least make the top 2 inches wider and make the straps smaller
Unfortunately, the sag was the deal breaker. I know it is part of marketing that your straps are better than their 'bungee', but the new Spider nubs are a much better solution. In a perfect world, I would love your top with their straps.

Sponsored

First Name
Bradford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl Rubicon
I'm gonna throw Alien out there again I have a hard top JLUR... Mine stays on, covers all four seats, looks great...

Putting it on took a few choice words because it's pulled way tight, but I don't plan on removing it soon.

Enjoy

20180822_194054.jpg

gmaine

First Name
germaine franco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
I'm gonna throw Alien out there again I have a hard top JLUR... Mine stays on, covers all four seats, looks great...

Putting it on took a few choice words because it's pulled way tight, but I don't plan on removing it soon.

Enjoy

20180822_194054.jpg
Can you send the link on this one. I have 2018 JLU RUBICON. Thanks

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you send the link on this one. I have 2018 JLU RUBICON. Thanks
This is Mike from JTops, The rear portion of the shade from Alien is not out becuse all their products are made in China. it's probably still on a boat on its way over. If you feel a bungee top is the right solution for you then at least buy American and get a Spiderwebshade.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Shade Top Comparison.jpeg

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
This is Mike from JTops, The rear portion of the shade from Alien is not out becuse all their products are made in China. it's probably still on a boat on its way over. If you feel a bungee top is the right solution for you then at least buy American and get a Spiderwebshade.
Will y’all ever have a rear only for the JL?