First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Rubicon)
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Nope... but I suppose that message would get annoying over time? Folk have asked us about forgetting to put the switch (in our solution) in the right position. If you were to jump in the Jeep after disconnecting and forgot to put the switch back to JEEP mode, you'll simply get this bulb-out message. The same thing would happen if someone were to inadvertently flip the switch while you were driving.
OK, so I retracted both sensor wires as shown on post 211, however, I do not get any error msg on my dash (21 Rubicon). Tail lights still function as normal. Any ideas? Maybe I need to pull those pins completely out of the socket?
Sponsored

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
OK, so I retracted both sensor wires as shown on post 211, however, I do not get any error msg on my dash (21 Rubicon). Tail lights still function as normal. Any ideas? Maybe I need to pull those pins completely out of the socket?
If the sensor wires are completely disconnected, you should be good.
Be sure to do BOTH tail lights.
Tail lights will function as normal.
I only get a "tail/blinker" out message upon start up.

mmayer813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Rubicon)
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
If the sensor wires are completely disconnected, you should be good.
Be sure to do BOTH tail lights.
Tail lights will function as normal.
I only get a "tail/blinker" out message upon start up.
Yep, both sides are messaged as put now, but everything is functional. Now, my charging circuit from the motorhome is not giving me any power!!! Never used that pin before, so I assume Thor missed something again! Ugggg...always something!

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Yep, both sides are messaged as put now, but everything is functional. Now, my charging circuit from the motorhome is not giving me any power!!! Never used that pin before, so I assume Thor missed something again! Ugggg...always something!
With the wires unplugged, the jeep will not wake up as before. Solving the dead battery issue.
As a test, hook the jeep to the rv and plug everything in. Roll the drivers window down. Put the key somewhere away from the jeep.
Give it about 5 minutes. Go back and use a broom stick to press the brake pedal through the open window. The jeep should NOT wake up.
Then, go to the Rv. Turn the power on (start it if you want) and use the blinkers and brakes. When you go back to the jeep it should still be asleep.
You would only need a charge wire to the jeep if you are using a supplemental braking system that uses power from the jeep.

I have towed our Jeep (JLURD) over 2500 miles this way. Day, night, and rain. 2 days without disconnect. Never a dead battery.

Last edited:

calixtoemilio

First Name
Calixto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited 2018
This is an informative thread for many current and future Wrangler JL "toad" users. As many of you know, we make a custom toad wiring kit for the Wrangler JL so that the towing vehicle has the opportunity to control the Jeep's parking, turn, and brake lights. The alternative to our harness is a "universal" diode-based kit, but our kit; 1) has fewer connections; 2) all connections are made within the interior of the Jeep; 3) provides full 12v to the lights (whereas all diodes systems rob power); 4) our solution is 100% PHYSICALLY isolated from the Jeep electronics and computers so there is never a chance of back-feeding, etc.

But, let's discuss the battery "draw" problem from the original post. For the Jeep's lights - be it our system or a universal diode system, all of the power from the lights comes from the tow vehicle. As such, if you implement a system that just control's the Jeep's lights, then you will never have a problem with draining the Jeep's battery. However, many people elect to install an auxiliary brake controller inside the Jeep. These systems apply the Jeep's brake pedal when the tow vehicle brakes and the Jeep helps in applying stopping power. In nearly all cases, these aux braking devices utilize the Jeep's battery to function. As such, these kits when used over a period of a couple of hours or more, can deplete the Jeep's battery. So, if you plan to use an aux braking device, you should install a device that continuously charges the Jeep's battery as you tow. The aforementioned RVi Towed Battery device is an excellent product for this. For a clean install, owners should consider using a 6-pin umbilical cord and socket so the 4 light wires (left, right, parking, and ground) can also have a 12V charge wire within the same harness. In other words, only a single (6-wire) umbilical cord connection needs to be made. Note that we sell a "Deluxe" JL wiring kit that includes the RVi Towed Brake component, a 6-pin socket and a 6-wire coiled umbilical cord for this specific purpose.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...harness-kit.html#/69-jl_tow_harness_kit-basic
Installation video cannot be seen because marked as “private”. How to watch it??? It helped a lot in my first jl.
Sponsored