masonbaxter

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Long time reader, first time poster...

I currently have a hard top on my JLU and I've been preparing to purchase the Trektop NX, but in the last few days I've been reading through quite a few negative reviews between the board and social media..it's seems like there's a lot of frustrated folks out there, with the number 1 & 2 complaints being the front sits back from windshield and the gap in the back below the rear window/flap. There also seems to be a lot of complaints about Bestop's customer service.

I'm curious, should I wait? Did they rush the trektop to market, do they update the product each year? Is the rear window thing something that could be resolved with some added velcro? I really like the look of the Trektop in bikini mode, but I know if I drop over a grand on the top and I'm dealing with leaks, I'm going to be kicking myself for not taking all the negative reviews into consideration.

Any input from folks who've purchased the Trektop would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if I should hold tight for Bestop to work the kinks out, or if the issues that have been reported are isolated and the majority of users haven't had any problems.

Thanks.
Sponsored

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
In exactly the same boat. From all my reads they rushed and don’t see a problem with the design.

EJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
I don't like that it doesn't go all the way down, I don't understand the point of a top that won't do that.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm going to wait, Fall is almost here. I'm hoping competition will see more choices, and improve pricing. Bestop seems over-extended, quality and design are not what I had hoped.
Lets see what 2020 brings...

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Same here, I bet they are losing out on a LOT of customers due to this very thing.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to wait, Fall is almost here. I'm hoping competition will see more choices, and improve pricing. Bestop seems over-extended, quality and design are not what I had hoped.
Lets see what 2020 brings...
IMO, this is a reasonable approach.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They’re still more focused on jk’s than they are with the jl. The jl has been out for 2 years and they only just released their first top a couple months ago, full of flaws on top of that. I don’t understand how a company that manufactures the factory top can’t make a decent top under their own brand.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I believe their manufacturing is China based, so quality and fit are not what would be hoped for.
That's a long supply/ communication line

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Would you consider a normal soft top? I have a standard one (non-premium) and I absolutely love it.

Hot summer? It’s fine. Cold winter? It’s fine. Everything in between? Top off and down in 30 seconds. Goes back on quickly too.

I’d say the factory soft top design is some pinnacle of humanity level stuff... I think it looks great too (especially compared to older soft top designs).

And the slant back look is good on some Jeeps and not good at all on others.. imo, have to pair it with the right shoes and lift.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I have the sun top on my JLU and I like it a lot. It is another fastback soft top. It rolls forward instead of back so you can uncover the whole top, but there is no ability to uncover just the front. The back windows can be taken out for a bikini look.

I like mine a lot, though it isn’t perfect. My only complaint is that water puddles on the top and I you aren’t paying attention it can spill on you.

http://thesuntop.com/
Sponsored