JL Wrangler Steering question

Marios Pieris

First Name
Marios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2-Door 2021
Let me start by saying I don't believe I have the loose steering/wandering problem. I can drive on the highway 65+ with one hand or a couple fingers on the wheel. However, it seems that I need to keep the steering wheel slightly to the right (around 1 o'clock) in order for the car to keep going straight on the highway. (we drive on the left side of the road-right hand drive car here in Cyprus-opposite of US driving). If I point the steering wheel straight, the car will veer to the left. Is this due to solid axles being sensitive to road crowning as usual in Wranglers?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Yes, sounds exactly as you suggest, if thereā€™s a crown on the road youā€™ll have to correct for it.

Itā€™s common to adjust the drag link (between the steering box and the opposite side wheel) so that the steering is centered when driving on a typical road crown. This can of course cause the opposite effect, which is to have the steering wheel slightly off center if you drive on a perfectly flat road. Itā€™s really a matter of preference what conditions you choose to set as center.

There is more feedback required in a solid axle vehicle than with independent front suspension. Most noticeable when road forces change the direction of feedback required, as in passing another vehicle and you switch from left of the crown to right of the crown.

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot
^
3%, typically

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer

It depends on the situation. Sometimes - is better, sometimes + is better and sometimes x is better, like in the case of stock price that you own. I would prefer x than -. Unfortunately for me, I bought some AVAX to play some stupid idiotic NFT games that my friend suggested and I lost 50% of my money in the last two weeks.

So, if your situation is about problems, then definitely - because you want to reduce your number of problems.

Good luck with - and I hope you figure it out!

OP
OP
Marios Pieris

Marios Pieris

First Name
Marios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S
It depends on the situation. Sometimes - is better, sometimes + is better and sometimes x is better, like in the case of stock price that you own. I would prefer x than -. Unfortunately for me, I bought some AVAX to play some stupid idiotic NFT games that my friend suggested and I lost 50% of my money in the last two weeks.

So, if your situation is about problems, then definitely - because you want to reduce your number of problems.

Good luck with - and I hope you figure it out!
Sorry about the "-dash" there was an issue with the upload. Please check my post again. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marios Pieris

Marios Pieris

First Name
Marios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, sounds exactly as you suggest, if thereā€™s a crown on the road youā€™ll have to correct for it.

Itā€™s common to adjust the drag link (between the steering box and the opposite side wheel) so that the steering is centered when driving on a typical road crown. This can of course cause the opposite effect, which is to have the steering wheel slightly off center if you drive on a perfectly flat road. Itā€™s really a matter of preference what conditions you choose to set as center.

There is more feedback required in a solid axle vehicle than with independent front suspension. Most noticeable when road forces change the direction of feedback required, as in passing another vehicle and you switch from left of the crown to right of the crown.
Thanks for the reponse. I thought so as well, Jeep being front solid axle would just make this more obvious/need more steering input. I come from Mercedes cars, so this is new to me! Also mine's a 2-Door as well, so even more "unstable" but more fun haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marios Pieris

Marios Pieris

First Name
Marios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^
3%, typically
Thanks for the response, I suspected that it's a jeep thing cause of the solid axles making you needing to input more in counter-steering.

Reactions: RZ.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Last year we went to Jeep Beach in Daytona Beach Florida. We paid to drive on the Daytona Speedway. They had the tall turns coned off, but we were able to get a little taste of what the embankments were like. I was amazed how much to the right I had the steering wheel turned to keep straight going around the turn. We were driving counter clockwise with the infield to the drivers side. So the corners banked up from left to right. Just driving a little on the lower part of the embankment the steering wheel was turned a large amount to the right to stay on a straight line around it.

A much exaggerated look at a crown in the road. šŸ˜

OP
OP
Marios Pieris

Marios Pieris

First Name
Marios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey everyone! Let me start off by saying I don't believe I have the loose steering/wandering problem. I can drive on the highway 65+ with one hand or a few fingers on the wheel only. However, it seems that I need to keep the steering wheel slightly to the right (around 1 o'clock) in order for the car to keep going straight on the highway. (we drive on the left side of the road-right hand drive car here in Cyprus-opposite of US driving). If I point the steering wheel straight, the car will veer to the left. Is this due to solid axles being sensitive to road crowning as usual in Wranglers?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes.

An amount of pull is inevitable. But it depends the degree of pull you have relative to how much crown thereā€™s on the road. If the pull is minimal, chances are itā€™s the crown. If the pull is severe, there might be something else going on.

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Last year we went to Jeep Beach in Daytona Beach Florida. We paid to drive on the Daytona Speedway. They had the tall turns coned off, but we were able to get a little taste of what the embankments were like. I was amazed how much to the right I had the steering wheel turned to keep straight going around the turn. We were driving counter clockwise with the infield to the drivers side. So the corners banked up from left to right. Just driving a little on the lower part of the embankment the steering wheel was turned a large amount to the right to stay on a straight line around it.

A much exaggerated look at a crown in the road. šŸ˜
motorcycle counter steer!

Similar experience coming home from Moab. It was so windy that I had the steering wheel turned to the right going around a left corner on the freeway.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
The test is take it on a completely flat road, maybe a parking lot and try to drive straight. Mine drove pretty straight until the stealership, Fort Collins Jeep, FORCED me to let them replace the front sway bar and disconnect. Then it pulled to the right. I went in and they did an alignment and it's better, but the Jeep feels a lot more sloppy after they replaced the sway bar and now there is some noise that seems to be coming from the front drivers side wheel. idiots

OP
OP
Marios Pieris

Marios Pieris

First Name
Marios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes.

An amount of pull is inevitable. But it depends the degree of pull you have relative to how much crown thereā€™s on the road. If the pull is minimal, chances are itā€™s the crown. If the pull is severe, there might be something else going on.
Well, it's not bad really, like at 1 o'clock usually on the highway, and sometimes if the road crown/pitch shifts a bit to opposite side, then that 1 o'clock goes back to 12 or 11ish.. I think it's the crown to be honest. It's just something new for me, as I come from Mercedes cars, and of course, a Wrangler is an entire different experience. I guess it's one of those jeep things they say haha

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Well, it's not bad really, like at 1 o'clock usually on the highway, and sometimes if the road crown/pitch shifts a bit to opposite side, then that 1 o'clock goes back to 12 or 11ish.. I think it's the crown to be honest. It's just something new for me, as I come from Mercedes cars, and of course, a Wrangler is an entire different experience. I guess it's one of those jeep things they say haha
Normal stuff.
Sponsored