JL Interior tailgate design, why?

rbatt

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
What’s the function of the louvered interior design on the tailgate? It looks but isn’t MOLLE, it’s sealed but doesn’t appear to be vented. Kid asked and didn’t know how to answer. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rbatt

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Seems like they missed a great oppty to make an integrated molle panel or at least make the piece of plastic usable for something other than venting. But I suppose that'd add $4.50 or so to the price so the chose not to.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
you would be changing the cabin filter a lot due to the rear for the jeep collecting a lot of the dust, dirt, etc. it gets pretty dirty back there.

it only take 5 mins, even in the hottest days to cool down the inside of the jeep.

stop feeding the dog beans.

problem solved, nice idea, but who want to spend another $1000+ for that option.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What’s the function of the louvered interior design on the tailgate? It looks but isn’t MOLLE, it’s sealed but doesn’t appear to be vented. Kid asked and didn’t know how to answer. Thanks.
It isn’t sealed, you can look though it if you view from above and under.

It’s to equalize air pressure when you shut your tailgate, there were incidents of shatter lift gate glass when there are too much pressure inside the cabin and couldn’t vent out.

You can use it like a Molle system as plenty of people already have:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/molle-bag-tailgate-setup.14121/

there is a thread on someone who converted it into a raider rack system:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-system-interior-storage-for-tailgate.18875/

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Interior tailgate design, why? 7E2DEEA3-1EB2-47DF-94E4-69462FDADAC0

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Got rid of my tailgate insert to make room for my 35" K02 spare sitting flat in the bed. Makes it so much easier to hand wash my Jeep without a huge tire in the way.

Hunter
Sponsored