Sponsored

JL drivetrain - axles and transfer case

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Patriot
Anyone interested in discussing transfer case and axle options for the JL/JT?
Sponsored

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Jeep just announced the JK Rubicon Recon with upgraded Dana 44 front axle (stronger tubes and heavier duty end forgings, electronic locking diffs, and cast differential covers).

Wouldn't be surprised to see that's the new standard front axle for the JL/JT.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Patriot
That would be great. Would love to see the return of the gear-driven transfer case. I know it's a long shot, though. Very long. The only one that I'm aware of that's in production currently is the Atlas ll.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep just announced the JK Rubicon Recon with upgraded Dana 44 front axle (stronger tubes and heavier duty end forgings, electronic locking diffs, and cast differential covers).

Sounds nice but I'd be surprised if the standard JL/JLU/JT got that beefy of an axle. Kinda overkill. But I wouldn't be surprised if that upgraded Dana 44 became standard for the JL/JLU/JT Rubicon model.

AZJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sounds nice but I'd be surprised if the standard JL/JLU/JT got that beefy of an axle. Kinda overkill. But I wouldn't be surprised if that upgraded Dana 44 became standard for the JL/JLU/JT Rubicon model.
I agree, they will probably use a 35 up front.
I would like to see something like the old 242 selec-trac transfer case as an option. Sure do enjoy it in my Grand.

Jim

Sponsored

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500

Does stronger tubes mean thicker tubes? The standard Dana 44 still uses 2.5" tubes which is the same size as the Dana 30. Needs to be thicker than that.

Hope so. Seen too many complaints about bent D44 front axles from guys who really off road their JKs. Would be nice to buy a Rubicon and not having to upgrade the axle.

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Does stronger tubes mean thicker tubes? The standard Dana 44 still uses 2.5" tubes which is the same size as the Dana 30. Needs to be thicker than that.

Hope so. Seen too many complaints about bent D44 front axles from guys who really off road their JKs. Would be nice to buy a Rubicon and not having to upgrade the axle.
Agree. 35's on the stock Rubi axle are iffy. 37's make that axle bend like a smile. It's silly, for a couple of pounds of steel in the tubes & forgings.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Agree. 35's on the stock Rubi axle are iffy. 37's make that axle bend like a smile. It's silly, for a couple of pounds of steel in the tubes & forgings.
But with the focus on weight savings in the new Wrangler the engineers just might think that it's not worth the extra weight gain even if minimal (personally hope not). Afterall it's probably like 1% of Wrangler buyers that care about the strength of their axles. But much more than 1% care about their MPG.

DosEcoDiesels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Ecodiesel, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
if you want to run 37's on 44's you should probably truss your axles

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

That would be great. Would love to see the return of the gear-driven transfer case. I know it's a long shot, though. Very long. The only one that I'm aware of that's in production currently is the Atlas ll.
They're much preferred for hardcore wheeling but I don't think we'll ever see gear driven transfer cases on a Wrangler from the factory. Too noisy, heavy, and not as fuel efficient as the chain driven ones used now. And those are all things engineers are trying to improve for the JL wrangler.

Sponsored

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
I'd like to see a 4 speed transfer case with 2 and 4 wheel drive options