Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I get a wave about 75% of the time here outside of Boston. Often, I'm the one not waving due to being distracted by little things like pedestrians and traffic lights. ;)
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Seems to be about 50% give or take here in Northern California. I also noticed it tends to be the people that have modified their Jeep in some way that are almost sure to wave back.

Also, I've yet to get a lady to wave back. They mostly look at me like some kind of perv, but since when has that stopped me?

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I get a wave about 75% of the time here outside of Boston. Often, I'm the one not waving due to being distracted by little things like pedestrians and traffic lights. ;)
I concur with the 74% in this area. I get a lot more guys wave then women and older jeeps seem to wave more to. Now I usually just give the half wave of the fingers off the steering wheel, so people who don’t wave probably don’t even notice but the people who are looking for it recognize it.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Move to Florida. Your hand will be tired everyday.
Or Georgia! There are so many here and most wave. But, there are so many here, it can get tiring. I also don't even bother looking to see if they wave or not half the time, but I'll still throw up my wave on the wheel.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I concur with the 74% in this area. I get a lot more guys wave then women and older jeeps seem to wave more to. Now I usually just give the half wave of the fingers off the steering wheel, so people who don’t wave probably don’t even notice but the people who are looking for it recognize it.
In MA also. Most women don't wave as they seem preoccupied with other things. Older Jeeps and modded Jeeps wave more consistently. I get many more waves in my Willys wagon than I do in my JLUR...

Sponsored

epd313

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2019 Genesis G90
Occupation
Retired
I often wave if someone else waves first, but I'd really prefer not to. It's not really a "club" we are in. Last month I was driving the gkids home from school as a Jeep approached. I wasn't paying attention and as the Jeep got close and I didn't wave the hand went from waving to giving me the finger. I would have normally waved but that one sorta has soured me on the whole process. There is a pretty active Jeep Club on FB in my area. It seems like the "gods of mud" of the club page are people in a POS Cherokee where the gas in the tank is worth more than their Jeep. Then they just want to make fun of anyone that doesn't think it's funny to roll your Jeep on its side when going out and running a trail. If you have a JK you are automatically a Mall Crawler. I'm sure the JL will get the same status. It's really hard to feel like you want to be comrades with people like that.
I have to admit that I've gotten tired of waving and my wife hates it...refuses to do it. I'm not that bad, but there are a lot of jeeps here in Erie PA and it gets kind of annoying. I still do it because I feel bad if I don't, don't ask me why. Although I do have the only 2dr Punk'n Rubicon in town, so maybe I think they will know me as the one who doesn't wave. For anyone here in Erie...that's my wife that didn't wave!!!

Lotchs

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
As a women, owning my first Jeep, I learned about the “wave” on this forum (along with lots of other things), I wave at all Wranglers. But here, where I live (Upstate SC), only men seem to wave/ wave back. Around here it’s a lot of college students (Clemson & Furman Univ) with Jeeps. Party on!!
Even when I pull up to a red light next to a Jeep & wave, I don’t get a wave back. I notice them rolling their eyes. It doesn’t hurt my feelings! I’ll always wave. But I have noticed driving away from where I live into NC (Brevard/ Asheville/ trails) I get lots of waves. It is what it is. It’s the least of my worries. :like:

98intrigue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Moab, '14 Viper
Occupation
Project Manager
Here in Wyoming out in the sticks, everyone waves no matter what they are driving! In the big city of Sheridan (not big at all) I even had a couple of people driving their Jeeps wave. Guess it all just depends on where your located.
My parents live in Cody and I noticed the same thing when I've visited them. I guess that's what happens when you only see a few cars on the road on your drive...it's the friendly thing to do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Who’s that? The guy who’s been here long enough to have seen this discussed to death 6 other times?

Don’t get me wrong. I wave, and I don’t want discourage anyone’s discussion of the topic.

<soapbox rant>
My irritation is two fold: 1) people don’t search before starting new threads, 2) forum search is not so good (Google with site keyword, however, is excellent).

Take the “does Tazer parasitically draw the battery” topic. Currently, there are FOUR threads discussing it. I’m keenly interested in that topic, so I have to monitor all of them. Then, yesterday, a guy starts a brand new thread on the topic to say, “I saw this discussed and am here to say I’m not affected.” :facepalm:

I get it. I do. It’s a forum with thousands of members, and new ones join every day. I’m human and get annoyed like the rest of you, from time to time.
</soapbox rant>

:beer:
I see you differently. I see the guy who's been on the forum long enough to think he's entitled or obligated to police it. Mine was and is a harmless, silly conversation starter of a thread; something from the title alone you would have known has nothing new to offer. I suspect you didn't see it and think, "I wonder what this guy has to add to the discussion on the Jeep wave that hasn't already been discussed" only to be disappointed that my thread was nothing new. You could have easily skipped it. Instead, you read it and took the time to find and respond in a way that just brought negativity to a positive, light-hearted discussion. If new threads that repeat topics is what annoys you, be prepared to be continually annoyed. You definitely have the right to get annoyed if that's how you choose to react. And it is a choice. But my suggestion would simply be to ignore threads that repeat topics and stick to only unique conversations. It will cut down your screen time and lower your blood pressure and we'll all be better off for it. And I hope that someday you figure out whether in fact the Tazer parasitically draws from the battery.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
As a women, owning my first Jeep, I learned about the “wave” on this forum (along with lots of other things), I wave at all Wranglers. But here, where I live (Upstate SC), only men seem to wave/ wave back. Around here it’s a lot of college students (Clemson & Furman Univ) with Jeeps. Party on!!
Even when I pull up to a red light next to a Jeep & wave, I don’t get a wave back. I notice them rolling their eyes. It doesn’t hurt my feelings! I’ll always wave. But I have noticed driving away from where I live into NC (Brevard/ Asheville/ trails) I get lots of waves. It is what it is. It’s the least of my worries. :like:
Yeah, mine too. I had just read so much about the Jeep wave that I thought for sure it was going to happen. I wondered what it's supposed to look like. Is it an actual full hand wave, a two finger peace sign, or what? With motorcycles, it's usually an upside down peace sign with your fingers extended towards the road to signify, "Keep your two wheels on the street / shiny side up". I way overthought it and found it kind of funny when it didn't happen for me and no one is waving back. At least not yet. Haha.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
This is my first Jeep and I must say, I am surprisingly bad at the wave. I will gladly wave back if I see it in time, but am hesitant to wave first. I don't want to be waving at somebody's child driving their Jeep, I'd much rather be waving at the person making the payments, so I'm trying to see who's driving first and then I miss a lot and don't wave in time. When I have it together, my Jeep wave looks a lot like a peace sign, but really it is me saying 2-door is the way to go, so I'm not being all that friendly 80% of the time either. Looks friendly though.
Ha! That's funny. I like the subtle jab with the 2-door. I just might adopt that from you.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I just got my Rubicon on 12/31/18. I went up sunrise hwy on 1/1/19, it was iced over for all 35 miles. Every Jeep waved. I’m in Lakeside/El Cajon, I’ll be other guy waving back lol
I have yet to take my Jeep up Sunrise Hwy but am looking forward to it. How'd you do with the ice? I've been over it on my bike with snow on the sides of the road but was lucky never to hit any ice patches.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I do think it has a lot to do with the area of the country. Where I live, "the wave" occurs about 90% of the time. Tinted windows will sometimes camouflage the wave both incoming and perhaps from my own rig since mine are dark too, but most jeeps I pass will wave first or return the gesture. Never got the finger though...again...maybe region?

The only caveat is something like Jeepfest. When you put 10,000 jeeps together, it's tough to wave at everyone. ;)
I think if I ever go to Jeepfest, I'll put a foam hand on a CB antenna and let it do all the waving for me.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Jeeple will usually wave back. People driving a Jeep might not. There’s a difference.
Ha! I've never head "Jeeple" before. Another one to tuck away.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I wave all the time when I can. I have a manual so sometimes my right hand is doing the shifting or on the shift knob and left hand is not in the proper waving position on the wheel. I have might have missed some here and there, but generally speaking, I wave. I am proud to drive a Wrangler and it doesn't bother me whether I get a wave back or not. I would say 70%-80% of Jeep owners wave here in Indiana and Michigan.
I like your attitude.
Sponsored