Jeep Wave or Lack Thereof

TrassaE95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
I used to wave on my Harley, until I hit a pot hole and almost dropped the bike. Ape hangers and western Pennsylvania roads aren’t a match made in heaven. I very rarely wave on the Harley any more, and usually just give a head nod or put two fingers up from the handles. I think I will be getting rid of the bike once my JLUR comes in

And I will wave once I am in the Jeep. The wife thinks it is a marketing ploy, but I’ve always liked the history behind it (or at least the origination story that I was told ). Any sense of “this is a community”, I am all for. Not enough of it in the world these days. Waving makes the world a better place, in the smallest of ways. If it gives others joy, it is well worth it.

Advertisement

tscribe

First Name
toni
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited jl
Same in Maryland. This is my third Wrangler. 1st one I had in college back in the late 90's and I would say 75-80% waived. Second wrangler I had was an early JK unlimited and I would say maybe even higher % waiving with that one. I picked up my jl few weeks ago, its been about 5-6 years since a have driven a wrangler and I have been shocked to see how few wrangler owners waive anymore. I actually commented to my wife about this last week. I would say maybe 10-15% are still waiving. Sad because that was another cool part of owning a wrangler, you felt like you belonged to a group. I am not sure if the lack of waive is due to newbies not knowing about the waive or seasoned snobs not wanting to waive to those with unmolested wranglers. Maybe a bit of both. After a few weeks of no waive backs I have kinda given up myself but my wife is still pushing on.
It’s likely because you’re in a JL. I drove a JK for 9 years...waves around 90%. Just traded it in for a JL and waves down to like 20%!! Lots of Jeepers hating on the JL. I’ll say it again....if you’re not in a military issued Ford Jeep or other later issue (I’m a Marine btw) then you’re not in the original so we all need to stop hating and keep the love and culture of Jeep Wrangler alive and wave!

I wave to all wrangler owners no matter what and I figure if I get a wave back awesome! Some new Jeep owners just don’t know that’s what we do. I feel like I wave and I educate a new owner. I love JEEP Wranglers! All of them. Lol

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
It’s likely because you’re in a JL. I drove a JK for 9 years...waves around 90%. Just traded it in for a JL and waves down to like 20%!! Lots of Jeepers hating on the JL. I’ll say it again....if you’re not in a military issued Ford Jeep or other later issue (I’m a Marine btw) then you’re not in the original so we all need to stop hating and keep the love and culture of Jeep Wrangler alive and wave!

I wave to all wrangler owners no matter what and I figure if I get a wave back awesome! Some new Jeep owners just don’t know that’s what we do. I feel like I wave and I educate a new owner. I love JEEP Wranglers! All of them. Lol
Also remember that if you’re driving a JL, according to proper jeep wave edicate, newer jeeps are supposed to wave first. So if you’re in a JL you may not be getting waves because technically you’re supposed to wave first. If you’re waving and not getting any waves back, that’s a problem. If you’re not waving, technically you’re breaking protocol.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

I wave...my JL is not stock and more than most I see driving around. I had a '81 CJ-7 and put it through a lot, so no rookie to the Jeep Nation. I still give the low wave on my Harley, and continue with the JLUS......

BillG

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
33815654-100C-4617-B3D2-C3C38B026CBE.jpeg
123105FF-5580-4ED8-BEAB-E496649D9AB4.jpeg
I’ve owned two Jeeps in my life. My first vehicle, and my latest. I probably get 80% return on waves in the JL. Part of it I think is they are still somewhat rare on the road here. A lot of people that don’t wave, you can tell they are looking at the fender lights, vents, and other differences.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Same in Maryland. This is my third Wrangler. 1st one I had in college back in the late 90's and I would say 75-80% waived. Second wrangler I had was an early JK unlimited and I would say maybe even higher % waiving with that one. I picked up my jl few weeks ago, its been about 5-6 years since a have driven a wrangler and I have been shocked to see how few wrangler owners waive anymore. I actually commented to my wife about this last week. I would say maybe 10-15% are still waiving. Sad because that was another cool part of owning a wrangler, you felt like you belonged to a group. I am not sure if the lack of waive is due to newbies not knowing about the waive or seasoned snobs not wanting to waive to those with unmolested wranglers. Maybe a bit of both. After a few weeks of no waive backs I have kinda given up myself but my wife is still pushing on.
Where are you in Maryland? I get about 80-90% whether I’m in my wife’s 2 door JK or my JLUR. I’m in Columbia.

tscribe

First Name
toni
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited jl
Heheheh, says the owner with their Jeeps in front of a MALL (LOL)!

Some of you'all need to quit taking yourself so seriously. Around here that "Wave" isn't something we do to gratify ourselves, it's something we do to brighten someone else day; we do it to say "Hey, we're all in this together on this crazy spinnin' rock!"
I agree. If you’re not in an original military issued Ford gpw Locked and loaded fighting wars, risking life and limb just cut it out with the “you’re not worthy” bit! Imagine you could go back in time and drive your trail ready lifted rubicon next to a GI in a gpw and what would he be thinking about you?!?!

I wave first and I wave at all of them! CJ TJ YJ JK JL and everything else. A wrangler’s a wrangler and we’re all in the club!

Jason

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
I have to laugh at the guy who said its too dangerous to take a hand off the wheel to wave. If you are white knuckling it so hard that you cant lift two fingers, you need to trade that thing in for a Volvo, or maybe a huge bubble to live in.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I will say it again and again “ I wave at any and all Wranglers”

Last edited:

raqball

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
If your jeep looks like it hits the trails, I wave. If it looks like all those mall crawlers out there, I don't.
:facepalm: :facepalm:

I always wave / wave back. I don't care if it's a rock crawling machine or a bare stock grocery getter..

Back when I had my YJ (my 1st Wrangler - purchased in 87) there were significantly less Wranglers (CJ5 and CJ7's too) on the road as there is today so maybe it's lost a little of it's luster? We also have attitudes like the one displayed above where if you don't meet a 'standard' you don't get one...

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is our second Jeep. Our previous one was dark green and I would always forgive if someone didn't wave back, I blend in! New JLU is bright freakin' Orange, you can't possibly miss me if your eyes are open! I always wave, my wife knows she must always wave if she's driving it. We have noticed in just the past couple years here in Western WA that wave percentage has dropped drastically. Still, it depends on the day and I think with the new Jeep it may be some snobs seeing the dealer plate and not being friendly(imagine people from Seattle being unfriendly!) the rest of the drivers just need to be waved at until they "get it".

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
This is our second Jeep. Our previous one was dark green and I would always forgive if someone didn't wave back, I blend in! New JLU is bright freakin' Orange, you can't possibly miss me if your eyes are open! I always wave, my wife knows she must always wave if she's driving it. We have noticed in just the past couple years here in Western WA that wave percentage has dropped drastically. Still, it depends on the day and I think with the new Jeep it may be some snobs seeing the dealer plate and not being friendly(imagine people from Seattle being unfriendly!) the rest of the drivers just need to be waved at until they "get it".
I swear that the car I owned that was the most likely to have people nearly drive into me on a regular basis was BRIGHT YELLOW! I could literally find that car in the middle of a full parking lot, a mile out, but people treated it like it was a bumper car.

Anyway, I noticed once I swapped out my bumper, I get more waves from modified/older Jeeps. Saharas rarely wave.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon

Interesting Todd. Where are you in Maryland? I live in Annapolis and I would say I get about 2/3 of wranglers waiving. I had a TJ back in the late 90s and I would agree nearly everyone one waived back then.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Ok, so how many of you Jeep owners catch yourself waiving at Jeeps when you are driving another vehicle? Seems to happen to me quite often when I'm driving my wife's car or our pickup!

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
I noticed this too. And the difference is with the JK owners.When driving my TJ it's about 95% TJ owners that wave, and 10% JK. When driving my JL it's 95% TJ and 2% JK. The TJ owners seem friendlier or maybe the JK owners don't like the JL.

Advertisement

Clayton Offroad

Advertisement