Sponsored

Jeep Now Offering Window Storage Bag?

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here is the only video I could find that kind of touches on how the windows can hang in the back:
Thanx for the link. I had no idea you could lower the frame as well. OTOH, it seems you need to lock it in place when lowered. If you keep the frame up, the soft top folds down and stays pretty secure, even without a tie-down.

I didn't see where they demonstrated how to hang the plastic windows when removed. Can you ID the time-point? That being said, I think most people will get some kind of storage bag and stack them in the rear or out of the way.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I took off at my hotel for a show last weekend. Looks like I hit it on the 3rd brake light that is raised for the 35. Also the large plastic surrounds attach to the side windows have scratched the tub as well.
;)You know Scott, I really feel the need to come to FCA's defense here and chastise you.

What right do you think you have to expect your vehicle manufacturer to design a plastic window that might resist scratching from the normal kick up of road debris? Do you think this is a Wrangler or something that, in its ability to travel off road, might incur that much more exposure to that which might come in contact with the vehicle, like mud, pebbles, tree branches. Gees...next thing you're going to tell me is that you need to see out these windows to safety drive.

Don't you know Wranglers are only meant to sit in a garage and be admired? Yeesh.

(I'm sorry for your scratches--FCA IMHO needs to do a better job, particularly on product they label as "premium.")

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
start at 02:34.
Thanx.

Btw, I just went out and disconnected the frame. Guess what? The soft top doesn't fold down as flat. That is, when the frame is still up, the soft top is able to fully compress. In addition, when the frame member is disconnected and lowered, the metal/nylon bushing guide rubs against the interior fabric side, and the frame itself rests/hits the rear plastic base.

My prediction: no one will disconnect the frame after trying it out. Too much hassle, reduced visibility, and metal parts hitting/rubbing against plastic/fabric.

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanx.

Btw, I just went out and disconnected the frame. Guess what? The soft top doesn't fold down as flat. That is, when the frame is still up, the soft top is able to fully compress. In addition, when the frame member is disconnected and lowered, the metal/nylon bushing guide rubs against the interior fabric side, and the frame itself rests/hits the rear plastic base.

My prediction: no one will disconnect the frame after trying it out. Too much hassle, reduced visibility, and metal parts hitting/rubbing against plastic/fabric.
What do you mean disco the frame? I considered trying to remove the entire top and frame with track, but is there something different?

Sponsored

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What do you mean disco the frame? I considered trying to remove the entire top and frame with track, but is there something different?
Nvm I just watched the video, I didn't know that was an option. Can only see that being good for being parked at a show or beach.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
;)You know Scott, I really feel the need to come to FCA's defense here and chastise you.

What right do you think you have to expect your vehicle manufacturer to design a plastic window that might resist scratching from the normal kick up of road debris? Do you think this is a Wrangler or something that, in its ability to travel off road, might incur that much more exposure to that which might come in contact with the vehicle, like mud, pebbles, tree branches. Gees...next thing you're going to tell me is that you need to see out these windows to safety drive.

Don't you know Wranglers are only meant to sit in a garage and be admired? Yeesh.

(I'm sorry for your scratches--FCA IMHO needs to do a better job, particularly on product they label as "premium.")
Umm, you mean sit in garage or a repair shop.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Nvm I just watched the video, I didn't know that was an option. Can only see that being good for being parked at a show or beach.
Neither - it doesn't lay down as flat when the upper frame is disconnected.

Secondly, the locking mechanism works whether or not the frame is disconnected. Still, it only prevents the compressed top from raising up over 6-12". Under that, depending on vehicle speed, wind speed, road conditions, etc, the compressed top can bounce around an inch or so.

Being the typical, anally retentive Jeep owner, I realized that while a single tie in the middle works well to compress the top, two tie-downs looped through the built-in tie-down anchors achieves two things: compresses the top to achieve maximum visibility, and eliminated all bounce. Here's my set-up:

20180301_123904[1].jpg

And yes, if you're really psycho, you can tuck the end straps under the cover hatch to achieve the maximum "ship shape" look. :movember: Ask me how I know: I did just that after I took this photo.

Last edited:

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm sorry for your scratches--FCA IMHO needs to do a better job, particularly on product they label as "premium."
Well, let me provide a general PSA for owners, MOPAR and potential after-market companies: any (premium) soft-top plastic window storage system is going to have to have 3 sided zippered edge. Much like a suitcase or guitar case, the lid will need to be able to fully open and lay back flat. In this fashion, each of the three windows can then be laid on top of the other, much like a stack of pancakes.

The reason? Sliding the plastic windows into a one or even two sided pillow case set-up is going to guarantee the windows eventually get scratched. I grabbed a sleeping bag cover from our RV - basically, a giant pillow case - and slid the windows in as a temporary home. It took around 3 seconds to realize I'm not doing this more than once. The windows are too rigid to roll up, but too flexible to try and shove in a cover/bag (like sliding a pan into an oven). So, there they'll stay until I see a good storage option.

(Our Jeep is a 3rd car and will remain in the garage in any inclement weather. This is why we ordered only the premium soft top, and why the windows will stay off. If we do take the Jeep on a road trip involving freeway driving, then I'll put them on to quiet the ride. That means I'll need a storage case to take along in order to take the windows off again once we arrive.)

BTW, it's a fantastic soft-top. Any plastic window storage system should at least complement such an extremely well thought out and executed design.

20180301_124903[1].jpg

Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Neither - it doesn't lay down as flat when the upper frame is disconnected.

Secondly, the locking mechanism works whether or not the frame is disconnected. Still, it only prevents the compressed top from raising up over 6-12". Under that, depending on vehicle speed, wind speed, road conditions, etc, the compressed top can bounce around an inch or so.

Being the typical, anally retentive Jeep owner, I realized that while a single tie in the middle works well to compress the top, two tie-downs looped through the built-in tie-down anchors achieves two things: compresses the top to achieve maximum visibility, and eliminated all bounce. Here's my set-up:

20180301_123904[1].jpg

And yes, if you're really psycho, you can tuck the end straps under the cover hatch to achieve the maximum "ship shape" look. :movember: Ask me how I know: I did just that after I took this photo.
Great setup! Are those the straps that came with the soft top? If not, where did you get them?

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Will this method work on a JL?

Technically, yeah, but it's completely bush league. You've got a $50k vehicle with a cheap ass, raggedy solution. Besides, as the video demonstrates, you need a flat place to begin the burrito process.

Like I said above, the (premium) soft top windows are both really rigid for plastic, yet pliable and formless for glass. It's sort of the worst of all worlds for handling - but the best for its intended use providing wind/weather protection.

Someone is going to come out with a nice, flat suitcase like storage case. For all I know, maybe this is how the MOPAR version works. Whatever it is, it will need to work properly to prevent the windows from getting scratched.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great setup! Are those the straps that came with the soft top? If not, where did you get them?
Just standard 1" tie down straps. I've had them for years - use them once/twice a year to tie down our kayak and/or extra surfboards on our roof racks if they all can't fit inside our mini-van.

I think they are 10' long. I'm not going to shorten/clip/trim the edges, since I can still use them if the situations above come up. Rather, the long ends will just be neatly tucked away under the storage compartment lid.

Any hardware store will have them. They don't need to be super buff - I think these ones are rated at just a few hundred pounds. If you go heavier/stronger, both the turnbuckle and straps get beefier. More weight, more bulk, more chance of scratching paint.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNWKdr3R9DiZhWfGT0bN56IP5ltprxGv19MrCFl35xOAPNIErkVg.jpg
Soft Top Window Storage Bag
$75

DETAILS >

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :giggle:

Last edited: