Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I got the camera, lights, and solar panels installed on the Jeep Haus this evening. Here’s a photo; I still have to pressure-wash the slab, and the Jeeps are in need of a good bath. We feel great relief having them under cover; now we don’t have to worry about damage due to falling oak branches!
One thing to consider in southwest Florida too, if you store your cars outside, is the real possibility of rats making a home in your engine compartment. How do I know this? Just happened to me. I'm in Florida very near you and have an SUV that's parked outside in my driveway. I looked under the hood today to see about cleaning the engine compartment and lo and behold I see rat droppings and seed husks all over the place. Luckily I don't think any wires were chewed, but that's a REAL danger. Keep a very close eye out for rats, especially in winter when they like to set up house in a nice warm engine compartment at night.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to consider in southwest Florida too, if you store your cars outside, is the real possibility of rats making a home in your engine compartment. How do I know this? Just happened to me. I'm in Florida very near you and have an SUV that's parked outside in my driveway. I looked under the hood today to see about cleaning the engine compartment and lo and behold I see rat droppings and seed husks all over the place. Luckily I don't think any wires were chewed, but that's a REAL danger. Keep a very close eye out for rats, especially in winter when they like to set up house in a nice warm engine compartment at night.
Yes, I mentioned that before in an earlier post. This has been a bad “rat year” out east. Driving the Jeeps a few times a week is a good mitigation factor. Also, our dogs are prolific rat killers.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
NICE Jeff! I'm north of Orlando and am building something very similar this week. How wide are your bays? We went with 6x6s on 10' centers. We just set the posts tonight, and after everyone left I started practice parking. It's a little tighter than I thought it would be. It's almost like pulling into a single-car garage. You have to approach it from a pretty straight angle.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
NICE Jeff! I'm north of Orlando and am building something very similar this week. How wide are your bays? We went with 6x6s on 10' centers. We just set the posts tonight, and after everyone left I started practice parking. It's a little tighter than I thought it would be. It's almost like pulling into a single-car garage. You have to approach it from a pretty straight angle.
Thanks Chris! The bays are twelve feet wide. We also went with 6x6s; in my opinion, that’s the ONLY way to go, down here in hurricane alley where we both live!

I’m sure you will get used to parking in there, even though it feels tight now. Please post pictures when it’s finished!

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Chris! The bays are twelve feet wide. We also went with 6x6s; in my opinion, that’s the ONLY way to go, down here in hurricane alley where we both live!

I’m sure you will get used to parking in there, even though it feels tight now. Please post pictures when it’s finished!
Chris, to add to my last post to you above, with the bays being twelve feet wide, if I park where the center posts are on each side of the front doors, I have a couple inches of clearance between the posts and the doors with the doors fully opened.
Sponsored