Sponsored

Is this normal?

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Sport Wrangler
I took the first step today and sent a request for a special order quote for a Jeep. The dealer sent me back both the MSRP info AND the FWP (which I checked against the info I found here and is correct). Seems a little weird to me that a dealership would want to volunteer any info that lowers the price of the Jeep. I emailed him back just now asking for the associated costs that will be involved with the purchase.

I was thinking of asking for 9% off invoice cost . . . worst they can say is no. I've thought of mentioning that the ONLY way I can make this happen is if I get a price that impresses my hubby (so NOT a lie!). Does this sound fair for all parties?
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I took the first step today and sent a request for a special order quote for a Jeep. The dealer sent me back both the MSRP info AND the FWP (which I checked against the info I found here and is correct). Seems a little weird to me that a dealership would want to volunteer any info that lowers the price of the Jeep. I emailed him back just now asking for the associated costs that will be involved with the purchase.

I was thinking of asking for 9% off invoice cost . . . worst they can say is no. I've thought of mentioning that the ONLY way I can make this happen is if I get a price that impresses my hubby (so NOT a lie!). Does this sound fair for all parties?
ALL official POCs form FCA dealerships look like that, with the MSRP in the left column and the invoice price in the right column.
Associated costs should be the same within your state, but BS fees abound, so you're right to get them in writing up front.
As far as the 9% offer goes, if you get it, you will have secured the lowest factory order price of anyone on this forum, so best of luck.
Make sure to update us with your results/details of your final deal.

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
'As far as the 9% offer goes, if you get it, you will have secured the lowest factory order price of anyone on this forum, so best of luck'

I chickened out lol. This is what I sent

Not expecting much, but I made it clear that the ONLY way a deal would happen is if I negotiated a VERY good deal... Complete truth on that one
Unfortunately, I cannot see your Google drive document without permissions, but that is okay.

I suggest letting your husband negotiate, since he is not emotionally attached to the deal. My ex-wife and I did it this way back when I was married, and it worked great. She drove some unbelievable deals by leading off with, "I don't want to buy a new vehicle, it is for him and just another check to write to me."

Working alone now, I highly suggest competitive bidding. I sent out a bid spec to multiple dealers across my state and gave them a timeframe to quote me a bottom line price (and to delineate all add-on costs). Three responded (several of the others refused to quote unless I came to the dealership, a couple never responded at all, and one was just an a$$), I used the two lower bids to bring the third bid in-line. I then chose from among them the dealer with the best total reputation and referrals, after talking to other Jeep owners in the area. I have bought special order vehicles this way for years now, and it has worked well consistently.

I visited the dealer for the first time 4 weeks later to pick up my Rubi.

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Viper, 15' Hellcat Challenger, 18' SRT Durango, 13' SRT Charger
9% is going to be nigh impossible, 3% under invoice is easy with most dealers espically the ones on our forum. Anything under 3 becomes more of a challenge which is why the map/links exist to locate dealers willing to do so.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MikeLewisMusic... I'm bummed that you couldn't see what I posted. I'm going to have to figure out a way to fix it. I'm not terribly sure how emotionally attached I am to getting a new Jeep. Do the rumors or speculation about the Mojito color being discontinued concern me? Yeah... I'm a girl, and I want the Mojito ( spoken as a true princess)! But I'm also not going to compromise what I want to get the right color. If I'm going to pay for it and it's going to be new, it will be exactly what I want it to be. Manual trans, Alpine speaker system, convenience and cold weather group, and the 7in display. Don't think that's a tall order.

Hubby is against getting a new Jeep because mine does run fine. When I bought the Jeep 6 years ago the suspension and ride weren't that much of a concern. I was pretty much just driving to work and home and running errands. Now that my daughter lives across the state, I'm finding that a car with better suspension and a smoother ride would be sort of a big deal. He believes that replacing the tires would help. I would rather take the thousand dollars that it will cost for new tires and put it toward a new vehicle. I could go out and buy the Jeep all by myself, but I still kind of like my husband and I've gotten used to him being around :giggle:. So I will behave for now ( I must really like him a lot because my motto is normally 'its easier to ask for forgiveness then it is permission')

And this just in: the dealership got back with me and won't do any more than the friends and family discount
Friends and family discount is $35,891.00, doc fee $210.00 the sales tax of 1.06% $ 38,267.00 plus reg fees.

I passed on it. Maybe for giggles and kicks I'll email the dealership on the list here and see what they have to say.

One final thought: maybe I'm wrong but giving up a little more than $2,000 to secure a $36000 sale doesn't seem to be that big of a sacrifice. Just sayin...

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab

Working alone now, I highly suggest competitive bidding. I sent out a bid spec to multiple dealers across my state and gave them a timeframe to quote me a bottom line price (and to delineate all add-on costs). Three responded (several of the others refused to quote unless I came to the dealership, a couple never responded at all, and one was just an a$$), I used the two lower bids to bring the third bid in-line. I then chose from among them the dealer with the best total reputation and referrals, after talking to other Jeep owners in the area. I have bought special order vehicles this way for years now, and it has worked well consistently.

I visited the dealer for the first time 4 weeks later to pick up my Rubi.

I would appreciate knowing more about how you did this. What exactly is the "bid spec" you sent and what method did you use to send it to the chosen dealers? Did you have specific dealer names and emails or did you send it to a general email for the dealer? TIA

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would appreciate knowing more about how you did this. What exactly is the "bid spec" you sent and what method did you use to send it to the chosen dealers? Did you have specific dealer names and emails or did you send it to a general email for the dealer? TIA
I just used the jeep.com configuration tool for the base vehicle. I specified some additional accessories via notes. I used email to distribute, after calling and getting the sales manager's name/email at each dealership.

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Need help again!!!! After reading all the posts here I have learned that itemized quotes are must haves. That being said, the first dealer that I sent my proposal to said "nope, not gonna happen". In case the pic I had attached to my previous posting doesn't come up, I was shooting for:

cost of invoice $ 36,178.00
6% discount $ (2,170.68)
cost for jeep $ 34,007.32
taxes $ 2,040.00
doc fee $ 210.00
state fees $ 50.00
COST I PAY OUT THE DOOR $ 36,037.00

I have a possible trade in: 2010 Wrangler. It is valued by Car
Fax at $10390 trade in value; this does not take into
consideration upgraded stereo system, both hard and soft top, or
two inch lift kit with off road tires. I would be willing to do the
trade at $9000 to secure this deal.

I email one of the listed dealerships on this site that was known for working with costs. They wrote back:

Based on the options you have provided with the Wrangler Sport with an MSRP of $37,465 this is what we can do for you:

MSRP $37,465
Selling Price $34,407
Documentation Fee $220
Gov Fee $48
State Sales Tax $2,079.06
Total cost you pay out the door $36,754.06

Ok, so far so good. I send him pics of the outside of my Jeep and the VIN #, along wih a pic of the odometer. He had wanted interior pics, which I said I would take in a few days and send (gotta clean her out, put back seat back in, etc etc). I get this back:

I spoke with my used car manager and based on everything I have shown him we can offer you $9,000 for the Jeep Wrangler. When would you like to place the order for the new Wrangler?

I don't trust ANYTHING until I have it in real writing with a real signature. My girl needs new tires (I did send him the pics of one of the tires closer up so he could see the tread), and she has some damage to the passenger side floor board and rear view mirror (sent those too). I am ready to order the Jeep today, but I'm not doing anything until I feel confident in the trade in bid. What do you all think? Get it in writing? I was also considering telling the dealership that the $9000 trade in was contingent on the price out the door. Should I stick with what they offer or push my hand?

Sorry for the War and Peace length post . . . thanks to all!!!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Need help again!!!! After reading all the posts here I have learned that itemized quotes are must haves. That being said, the first dealer that I sent my proposal to said "nope, not gonna happen". In case the pic I had attached to my previous posting doesn't come up, I was shooting for:

cost of invoice $ 36,178.00
6% discount $ (2,170.68)
cost for jeep $ 34,007.32
taxes $ 2,040.00
doc fee $ 210.00
state fees $ 50.00
COST I PAY OUT THE DOOR $ 36,037.00

I have a possible trade in: 2010 Wrangler. It is valued by Car
Fax at $10390 trade in value; this does not take into
consideration upgraded stereo system, both hard and soft top, or
two inch lift kit with off road tires. I would be willing to do the
trade at $9000 to secure this deal.

I email one of the listed dealerships on this site that was known for working with costs. They wrote back:

Based on the options you have provided with the Wrangler Sport with an MSRP of $37,465 this is what we can do for you:

MSRP $37,465
Selling Price $34,407
Documentation Fee $220
Gov Fee $48
State Sales Tax $2,079.06
Total cost you pay out the door $36,754.06

Ok, so far so good. I send him pics of the outside of my Jeep and the VIN #, along wih a pic of the odometer. He had wanted interior pics, which I said I would take in a few days and send (gotta clean her out, put back seat back in, etc etc). I get this back:

I spoke with my used car manager and based on everything I have shown him we can offer you $9,000 for the Jeep Wrangler. When would you like to place the order for the new Wrangler?

I don't trust ANYTHING until I have it in real writing with a real signature. My girl needs new tires (I did send him the pics of one of the tires closer up so he could see the tread), and she has some damage to the passenger side floor board and rear view mirror (sent those too). I am ready to order the Jeep today, but I'm not doing anything until I feel confident in the trade in bid. What do you all think? Get it in writing? I was also considering telling the dealership that the $9000 trade in was contingent on the price out the door. Should I stick with what they offer or push my hand?

Sorry for the War and Peace length post . . . thanks to all!!!
Take your JK Carmax to see what they will buy for.

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked Carmax out, nearest location is two and a half hours away....

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Try carvana, they come and get the vehicle. I just recently bought my ordered jlur from an out of state dealer. He gave me a sight unseen price for my trade which was the same as carvana. Everything ended up working out great.

OP
OP

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try carvana, they come and get the vehicle. I just recently bought my ordered jlur from an out of state dealer. He gave me a sight unseen price for my trade which was the same as carvana. Everything ended up working out great.
Hmmm . . . the dealership I'm working with said they would do $9000 . . . Carvana said $11, 412. Will have to look into selling it to them instead.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Looks like you got past this step but for others -

My recommendation is to start with a no-haggle deal off this site. Then use that deal to negotiate locally. Even if you're not willing to go to Idaho or Maryland for 7% off invoice your local dealer doesn't know that. Also the dealers on the site are very professional and will give you a detailed POC with all the right information and the OTD price written on it. They know their deals get shopped. Comes with the territory.
Sponsored