is there a thing as too much light??

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
So I have the led lights on my Rubi, I want to put some a pillar lights on. The leds are plenty bright so these aren't really needed. I just like the look of them, maybe with colored lenses on them. Is there a thing as too much light?
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well....to me, a pillar light is a double edged sword. Pillar lights are about the perfect height, but they tend to light up the hood, which is why you see off-road racers that have pillar and roof lights with blacked out hoods. If the hood is lit up, your eyes are getting a lot of light and the pupils close down, which limits your vision in the darker areas of your field of view. Then you need even more lights on your vehicle to see. This causes you to order more lights and brackets, spending more money and supporting our economy. So, I think you should put pillar lights on and support our booming economy. Me? I put them on the front of the vehicle. Works for me.

Buuuut...I have been thinking about some modest short range flood lights pointed about 45-90 degrees outboard for tight maneuvering, and the pillar area is where I'm considering.

Last edited:

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well....to me, a pillar light is a double edged sword. Pillar lights are about the perfect height, but they tend to light up the hood, which is why you see off-road racers that have pillar and roof lights with blacked out hoods. If the hood is lit up, your eyes are getting a lot of light and the pupils close down, which limits your vision in the darker areas of your field of view. Then you need even more lights on your vehicle to see. This causes you to order more lights and brackets, spending more money and supporting our economy. So, I think you should put pillar lights on and support our booming economy. Me? I put them on the front of the vehicle. Works for me.

Buuuut...I have been thinking about some modest short range flood lights pointed about 45-90 degrees outboard for tight maneuvering, and the pillar area is where I'm considering.
As you describe, I recently mounted A-pillar lights, pointed outward @ about 45 degrees, and down maybe 30 degrees (started out with inexpensive Amazon cubes, to see if they were effective). End up with a continuous light arc from the side windows forward.

Great for off-road, as well as back roads where the deer frequently hang out in the shadows. Already alerted me to one doe close by, never would have seen her otherwise. Luckily, she stayed put, but I had an eye on her, thanks to the A pillar lights.

Also, the 2 door is so agile, I had previously found that I had the ability to out-turn my headlights and fogs. These lights are great for that. I wired them to switch separately from my front light bar, for maximum versatility.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Too much light? That's what these are for!

welding shield.jpg

Sponsored

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
When I'm looking for a brokendown race car in the middle of the desert? Nope, no such thing.
Sponsored