Is the two oil pan interchangeable?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Wondering if I can swap the later stamped steel oil pan on to my cast aluminum one? Is the oil pick up different also? Don’t like skid plate but seems the later style steel one has more clearance than the 3.6 did.
Sponsored

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
They are not interchangeable. You'd have to change the front engine cover to put the stamped steel pan on.

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Wondering if I can swap the later stamped steel oil pan on to my cast aluminum one? Is the oil pick up different also? Don’t like skid plate but seems the later style steel one has more clearance than the 3.6 did.
One of the viewers on the Jeep 392 Forum found the new stamped steel oil pan gives you an extra 1.5” of clearance (15 1/4” vs. 13 3/4”) compared to the aluminum oil pan in early model 392s (like mine). However, I still can’t get anyone to give me the clearance for a standard JL Rubicon for comparison. Maybe my oil pan doesn’t really sit that low? I thought about crawling under the first parked JL Rubicon I can find and measure the clearance but decided maybe the owner of the vehicle might not appreciate my curiosity.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
That’s a pretty significant difference…kinda kills me they didn’t address this til after several months of production. The steel pan seems like it’d be much more resilient. I’m trying to decide if I want steel or aluminum skids for a daily driver / occasional off-road. Thinking aluminum will make most sense. Not quite sold on the Next Venture kit…maybe i should be. Waiting to see what Artec eventually emerges with..

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
That’s a pretty significant difference…kinda kills me they didn’t address this til after several months of production. The steel pan seems like it’d be much more resilient. I’m trying to decide if I want steel or aluminum skids for a daily driver / occasional off-road. Thinking aluminum will make most sense. Not quite sold on the Next Venture kit…maybe i should be. Waiting to see what Artec eventually emerges with..
If you are thinking about swapping out the Stamped Steel for Aluminum, consider what one member on the Jeep 392 Forum wrote: "You're still going to need a new dip stick & tube, windage tray and pickup tube, new stand-off bolt, new main bolt and maybe more misc stuff."

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
If you are thinking about swapping out the Stamped Steel for Aluminum, consider what one member on the Jeep 392 Forum wrote: "You're still going to need a new dip stick & tube, windage tray and pickup tube, new stand-off bolt, new main bolt and maybe more misc stuff."
Yeah I’m not thinking about swapping, just opining that the steel is better. My solution will be skids.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
They are not interchangeable. You'd have to change the front engine cover to put the stamped steel pan on.
THE Brad Kilby? Man your OBA setups were some of the best I have ever had!! Miss my 2 old TJ's with the York! Still have a cabinet with all the necessary components to add OBA to my current 97 TJ, except the KE-1000....someday I hope to find one.

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
THE Brad Kilby? Man your OBA setups were some of the best I have ever had!! Miss my 2 old TJ's with the York! Still have a cabinet with all the necessary components to add OBA to my current 97 TJ, except the KE-1000....someday I hope to find one.
Lol. Thanks RELBUS. I still lurk here and there around the Jeep forums. Those York OBA setups were fantastic. Getting one on my 392 is impossible though. Lol. I sold the company many moons ago but they still show the KE-1000 on their website. Grab it while you still can. https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/onboardair-com-bracket-kits/jeep-bracket-kits/

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Lol. Thanks RELBUS. I still lurk here and there around the Jeep forums. Those York OBA setups were fantastic. Getting one on my 392 is impossible though. Lol. I sold the company many moons ago but they still show the KE-1000 on their website. Grab it while you still can. https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/onboardair-com-bracket-kits/jeep-bracket-kits/
Glad to hear you are still lurking around the forums. That's too bad, the 392 sure would sound mean with high idle enabled while airing up! Wow, thanks for that link, I had no idea someone else had continued selling your product...going to place an order now.:like:

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
Glad to hear you are still lurking around the forums. That's too bad, the 392 sure would sound mean with high idle enabled while airing up! Wow, thanks for that link, I had no idea someone else had continued selling your product...going to place an order now.:like:
Yeah, they bought KE about 10 years ago. It's been that long. :(

Sponsored

MaxCatMDWV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T250, Model-X, Model A
Occupation
SAR Pilot
Does anyone have pictures of the *new* oil pan? '22 392 on order and so many manufactures have old pics or pics of non-392 parts. Thanks to all.

MaxCatMDWV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T250, Model-X, Model A
Occupation
SAR Pilot
However, I still can’t get anyone to give me the clearance for a standard JL Rubicon for comparison.
Isn't this listed under Standard Features on the build page, Exterior Dimensions, "
  • Running Ground Clearance10.8"
Sponsored