Sponsored

Is JL Nav junk or am I missing something?

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I'm a long time user of GPS units for wilderness hiking and thousands of miles of back country wheeling in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and southern California. Our 2012 Rubicon had a factory Nav system that was what I considered as pretty darn good. It showed lots of detail including National Forest Roads, BLM and rural roads. In fact

We had previously used the Nav on our JL doing some wheeling on Forest Service roads around Buena Vista and Leadville, Colorado. The roads showed up on the Nav just fine. The day before yesterday we were in the Coronado National Forest between Tucson and Redington. Only the main road was on the Nav. None of the numbered Forest Service road branching off from it showed. Today, we were in the Buenos Aries National Wildlife Refuge right up against the Mexican boarder. The only road that showed up in the NWR was the paved road going to the visitor center. Last year, the Nav system in our JKR showed a vast majority of the back roads.

I know that a Nav is only as good as the software loaded on it, but this is ridiculous. It works great in the urban setting. So, did I accidently hit a setting that killed the back country detail on my JLR? I couldn't find anything. If this is what I have, I'm really pissed. Guess I'm relegated to using my old Garmin handheld GPS and paper maps.
Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
We use the AllTrails app when wheeling and it works great. I’m not sure if it would integrate with CarPlay, I’ll have to check.

OP
OP
BVGeezer

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
We use the AllTrails app when wheeling and it works great. I’m not sure if it would integrate with CarPlay, I’ll have to check.
So, I did a quick look see on this. I assume you have to plan you trip before you go using the app that requires cell/wifi service. A lot of my Arizona desert wheeling require real time ability to free lance trails. I didn't have cell service for two hours while in the brush except for cell towers in Mexico! I can use Google Earth to plot routes and print a hard copy if needed.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I’ve been thinking of getting a 7” or 8” tablet with gps or adding an external antenna and downloaded maps for off roading. I’ve used All Trails and Avenza Maps on my IPhone, which both work excellent, but I’d like a bigger screen. They unfortunately don’t work with CarPlay. I’m not sure if there’s an adapter that allows aux video input to the factory screen.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Mine works Great. Does what it suppose to.
Sounds as if some people want it to take them to the moon.

Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So, I did a quick look see on this. I assume you have to plan you trip before you go using the app that requires cell/wifi service. A lot of my Arizona desert wheeling require real time ability to free lance trails. I didn't have cell service for two hours while in the brush except for cell towers in Mexico! I can use Google Earth to plot routes and print a hard copy if needed.
It has worked well for trails in CO that are premapped. I’m not sure how well it would work for freelancing.

Claro666

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm a long time user of GPS units for wilderness hiking and thousands of miles of back country wheeling in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and southern California. Our 2012 Rubicon had a factory Nav system that was what I considered as pretty darn good. It showed lots of detail including National Forest Roads, BLM and rural roads. In fact

We had previously used the Nav on our JL doing some wheeling on Forest Service roads around Buena Vista and Leadville, Colorado. The roads showed up on the Nav just fine. The day before yesterday we were in the Coronado National Forest between Tucson and Redington. Only the main road was on the Nav. None of the numbered Forest Service road branching off from it showed. Today, we were in the Buenos Aries National Wildlife Refuge right up against the Mexican boarder. The only road that showed up in the NWR was the paved road going to the visitor center. Last year, the Nav system in our JKR showed a vast majority of the back roads.

I know that a Nav is only as good as the software loaded on it, but this is ridiculous. It works great in the urban setting. So, did I accidently hit a setting that killed the back country detail on my JLR? I couldn't find anything. If this is what I have, I'm really pissed. Guess I'm relegated to using my old Garmin handheld GPS and paper maps.
It's total crap in my opinion!

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty much made to show you where all the malls are... it's pretty bad.

You can do breadcrumbs and save them, if you dig in the menu a bit. It's not on the nav page, per SE, where it should be.

Kind of been doing my own thing with an Ipad2 air for offline maps, etc...

45739852_10213415491406095_4593525840137945088_o.jpg

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T

I just got my JL yesterday, and saw this screen (I think in the navigation settings). Might have the answers you are looking for. Notice the Unpaved Roads option at the bottom. Default is off.
RKGs9un9QeOWQc8BnfmNvw.jpg

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I just got my JL yesterday, and saw this screen (I think in the navigation settings). Might have the answers you are looking for. Notice the Unpaved Roads option at the bottom. Default is off.
This.

The more we play with the nav on the JL, the more we like it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BVGeezer

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
This looks like it was my problem. Somehow it was unchecked. I'll be out in the desert today. Will see if it works. Took long enough for someone to give me a good answer. This 69 year old brain feels somewhat ashamed for not seeing that. Thanks for your help. Will post later today on results.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
This looks like it was my problem. Somehow it was unchecked. I'll be out in the desert today. Will see if it works. Took long enough for someone to give me a good answer. This 69 year old brain feels somewhat ashamed for not seeing that. Thanks for your help. Will post later today on results.
Glad I could help out. I think its default is unchecked because most people don't want those roads, and those roads aren't maintained, especially in snowy regions. Years ago, when GPS units first came out, I remember hearing stories about people getting stuck in the mountains in the winter because their GPS units would route them to those roads, and they weren't maintained/plowed in the winter. So I do understand why they are turned off as a default.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI. A couple of months ago, I spoke with GaiaGPS via Twitter and they said they are working on a CarPlay compatible version of their app.

OP
OP
BVGeezer

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Yep, that was my issue. Now shows unpaved roads. Didn't get deep into the desert near the Mexican boarder for the acid test.
Sponsored