Sponsored

Interior CB mount

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Just curious, with GMRS/FRS radios taking over the CB scene, why a CB?

I understand if the group or peeps you wheel with use CB’s.
I’ve had CBs in my Jeep’s and trucks since the 70s and the “Smokey and the Bandit” and “Dukes of Hazard” days. We used them a bunch back then. They were especially great if you were driving through the night, because the trucker chatter was entertaining. Of course, that’s when truckers were American and I understood the jokes.

I almost skipped the Jeep installation this time, but I decided to do it because:
1) Some Jeep groups still use them,
2) Many log trucks still use them
3) Most boats have them, so we can chat on their way into the dock,
4) My CB has a weather channel.

Ive had it in the Jeep for about 18 months, and it’s seen almost no use.

We have handheld FRS too, and their portability makes them convenient. It sounds like HAM is the bomb due to its range and ability to get out where other radios can’t, but you have to take a class and learn something to use them.

I know very little about radio technology. What is it about FRS that “blows away” CB technology?
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I know very little about radio technology. What is it about FRS that “blows away” CB technology?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...cb-gmrs-murs-frs-amateur-for-the-trail.62893/
[/QUOTE]
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The group I ride with uses GMRS/FRS handheld radios, and they are loud and clear. And being in the woods, you rarely hear anyone else's chatter. Not to mention many GMRS/FRS radios do have a squelch that can be adjusted.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I run a president bill CB and midland gmrs on side of console.

5B9D34FB-CE00-4401-B535-6712A838F57E.jpeg
Nice, clean install.

How did you attach the CB driver-side? Planning on switching my President McKinley to that side, but it is bigger than your Bill. Just screwed the plate directly to console, or did you use that bolt under the little cap?

Sponsored

AndyD

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I run a president bill CB and midland gmrs on side of console.

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior CB mount 20210805_082146
How are these radios attached to the plastic console? Just a couple of small screws directly through the bracket and into the plastic?

Mine&Hers

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
How are these radios attached to the plastic console? Just a couple of small screws directly through the bracket and into the plastic?
I made my own mounts out of aluminum and used center console mounting bolt very secure mount
Nice, clean install.

How did you attach the CB driver-side? Planning on switching my President McKinley to that side, but it is bigger than your Bill. Just screwed the plate directly to console, or did you use that bolt under the little cap?
03AE2A88-0FEE-403F-A8A3-20104DABA6C0.jpeg

5E04BDC9-1788-43AE-B8D5-DC2FE8DB8D29.jpeg

710AB741-A211-400B-A021-6A79C097DE6A.jpeg

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...cb-gmrs-murs-frs-amateur-for-the-trail.62893/
[/QUOTE]
Range, range, range !!!
I also hear from the good folks at Midland that they are supposed to come out with a 50 watt radio sometime this year that has all of the controls on the mic like the MXT275 does. That way you mount the radio inside/behind the dash somewhere and all you have to worry about is the mic on the outside that uses a simple RJ45 jack.
Sponsored