auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
Rubi, stock, 440 miles (of which first 250 is from VA to CT). It's been cold enough to discourage roof-less behaviors, but not too cold to do ice driving.

Overall. LOVE IT!!!!

The "good stuff" section:
- I'm still not used to the torque - I keep shifting into 1st when I could easily continue in 2nd - after my Saabaru, it's definitely an adjustment. I feel like in many situations I can start in 2nd. (NOTE to confused millennials who don't know what i'm talking about: I have a manual transmission)
- That clutch!!! first time I pressed it, I was wondering if something was broken - waaay too light. After 2 weeks of driving the Jeep, I went back to my Saabaru and clutch felt like it was made of concrete. I may actually try to measure the weight of pull. (still talking about the manual)
- Wind noise - some, but not crazy (moving from a less-than-modern sedan)
- Small things - anti-slide surfaces, "paperclips" on sun visors.
- I already had one guy in a beat-up acura honk at me for 3 intersections and tell me that I have high beams on, and he wouldn't believe me when I said I didn't. He didn't like it when I offered to show him what high-beams on this vehicle look like. (MISSION: Accomplished!)
- Visibility - even without the backup camera, with rear headrests down, it's pretty good in terms of visibility. Having driven in some of the modern SUVs and, sadly a few sedans, my Wrangler is not that bad.
- Heated steering wheel - #1 feature I didn't know I needed, but now... it's a requirement.
- Fully lowered rear windows - my dog loves them because she can stick her head out w/o stepping onto the door handle (ok, fine - I love them for the fact that she doesn't step on door handles after running through dirt)
- I find it surprisingly maneuverable for its size and backup camera definitely helps.
- Molle FTW!!!

The neutral / expected:
- I'm 6'3, 34 inseam - no problems. It's true, if i'm sitting straight up (which I do), the very top of the cluster screen is not visible, but it's only very top - I can still read temperature, range and time. I did move closer than "all the way back"
- Seeing the front of the hood is... weird.
- "Left and up" reverse didn't take long to adjust, coming from "right and down" (yep, still talking about the manual)
- Happy to report that after 5 panic attacks and 4 full-on cardiac arrests, I've adjusted to ESS behavior. It's not bad... just my health insurance went up.
- I use car remote for weight training to help recover from the cardiac arrests induced by ESS.
- Aerodynamic coefficient of a barn door traveling down the road - I'm fairly certain that whatever Priuses I'm not able to run over, get blown off the road into a ditch because of the Piston effect.
- Keeping it at 17.7 mpg mostly local driving.
- Door Checks are definitely a good addition - in the recent Nor'easter, I'd definitely hit the car next to me on the parking lot if I were in JK (mostly because I would still not be used to no door checks design.

EDIT: ok the below section seems longer than above, but it's because I get into more detail - I still love my new Wrangler.
The "first world problems" section:
(disclosure: it's possible that some of the below are due to the fact that I don't read manuals):
- Electronics - some of the stuff takes getting used to - some of the sequences and dependencies are still not 100% clear to me. Example - why turn off fog lights when highs kick in? I gave up and switched to auto.
- Electronics - radio by default is annoying - I may have been listening to a podcast, before I went to store and now I get a blast of radio at a different volume level. I'd prefer the system "remembering" the last source.
- Electronics - heated seats and heated steering wheel. Sometimes it "remembers" the last setting, sometimes it doesn't, and does so seemingly independent for each seat - we can have both seats "on", turn off the car, come back, fire it up, and only my seat comes on. Then, after I turn off my heated seat, turn off the car, come back, it kicks it back on (but not the passenger seat, which was left "on"). go figure.
- Electronics - Turning off garage opener/homelink when engine is off - I am used to rolling into my bay with engine off already, in neutral (millennials, see the NOTE above), so have to re-think that. Also, on colder days, I'd prefer to start the engine when the garage door is open already, but not have to open garage door when I enter the garage from the house (and walk by wall controller). Nitpicking, I know, but the manual says "HomeLink is powered by your 12V battery" - I'd prefer it to be not through the ignition.
- Controls - not sure if it's JL-specific, but I figured out what bothers me about the windshield wiper stock/lever after driving through a big puddle and essentially losing visibility for a few seconds. On Jeep, turning on the wipers is accomplished by turning the end of the lever, So: 1) let go of the wheel 2) reposition the hand to grab the stock with fingers 3) turn the end of the lever. I would prefer to reach with my finger and flick the stock/lever down. Yes, there is a Mist feature but it's activated by pulling the stock up, and, in that particular scenario, I didn't need any more water on the windshield, and, pulling up still requires letting go of the steering wheel (maybe it's just my hands)
- Mirrors - driver-side mirror doesn't turn far enough for me not to see the tail end w/o leaning left - I prefer them to be "looking" further out - if i need a reference point of my rear, I can lean left.
- Still getting used to how far the rear gate swings - there were a few times I had to pull further than I like just so that I have enough clearance to open the gate with garage door closed. Alternatively, have to back into garage (which also aligns the direction of the gate opening with the door into garage.
- Well I'm glad the glove compartment at least fits the manual (and only the manual)
- My older dog is not very happy with the height of the floor and looks at me with "I'm disappointed in you" expression every time before she enters the vehicle. On a more serious note, I may get steps in the future - if only so I can reach stuff on the roof if need be.
- I'm guessing the Manual and changing the menu styles are 8.4" UConnect features - my 7" UConnect doesn't seem to have these.

On the next episode of "Let Me Nitpick" - installing roof racks, door sills, and "can we avoid having 3 inches of dog fur all over the back by installing a cargo mat"

Disclosure: for safe-place-seeking millennials offended by being singled out above - before you call me an insensitive old idiot - I'm a millennial myself, so go get yourself a cup of starbucks and learn how to drive a manual - it's "old school" and should go well with a beard and thick-rimmed glasses ;-)

OP
OP
Smarrtazz

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Rubi, stock, 440 miles (of which first 250 is from VA to CT). It's been cold enough to discourage roof-less behaviors, but not too cold to do ice driving.

Overall. LOVE IT!!!!

- I'm still not used to the torque - I keep shifting into 1st when I could easily continue in 2nd - after my Saabaru, it's definitely an adjustment. I feel like in many situations I can start in 2nd. (NOTE to confused millennials who don't know what i'm talking about: I have a manual transmission)
- That clutch!!! first time I pressed it, I was wondering if something was broken - waaay too light. After 2 weeks of driving the Jeep, I went back to my Saabaru and clutch felt like it was made of concrete. I may actually try to measure the weight of pull. (still talking about the manual)
- I already had one guy in a beat-up acura honk at me for 3 intersections and tell me that I have high beams on, and he wouldn't believe me when I said I didn't. He didn't like it when I offered to show him what high-beams on this vehicle look like. (MISSION: Accomplished!)
- Visibility - even without the backup camera, with rear headrests down, it's pretty good in terms of visibility. Having driven in some of the modern SUVs and, sadly a few sedans, my Wrangler is not that bad.
- Heated steering wheel - #1 feature I didn't know I needed, but now... it's a requirement.
- Fully lowered rear windows - my dog loves them because she can stick her head out w/o stepping onto the door handle (ok, fine - I love them for the fact that she doesn't step on door handles after running through dirt)
- I find it surprisingly maneuverable for its size and backup camera definitely helps.
- Molle FTW!!!

The neutral / expected:
- I'm 6'3, 34 inseam - no problems. It's true, if i'm sitting straight up (which I do), the very top of the cluster screen is not visible, but it's only very top - I can still read temperature, range and time. I did move closer than "all the way back"
- "Left and up" reverse didn't take long to adjust, coming from "right and down" (yep, still talking about the manual)
- Happy to report that after 5 panic attacks and 4 full-on cardiac arrests, I've adjusted to ESS behavior. It's not bad... just my health insurance went up.
- I use car remote for weight training to help recover from the cardiac arrests induced by ESS.
- Aerodynamic coefficient of a barn door traveling down the road - I'm fairly certain that whatever Priuses I'm not able to run over, get blown off the road into a ditch because of the Piston effect.
- Door Checks are definitely a good addition - in the recent Nor'easter, I'd definitely hit the car next to me on the parking lot if I were in JK (mostly because I would still not be used to no door checks design.

EDIT: ok the below section seems longer than above, but it's because I get into more detail - I still love my new Wrangler.
(disclosure: it's possible that some of the below are due to the fact that I don't read manuals):
- Electronics - some of the stuff takes getting used to - some of the sequences and dependencies are still not 100% clear to me. Example - why turn off fog lights when highs kick in? I gave up and switched to auto.
- Electronics - radio by default is annoying - I may have been listening to a podcast, before I went to store and now I get a blast of radio at a different volume level. I'd prefer the system "remembering" the last source.
- Electronics - heated seats and heated steering wheel. Sometimes it "remembers" the last setting, sometimes it doesn't, and does so seemingly independent for each seat - we can have both seats "on", turn off the car, come back, fire it up, and only my seat comes on. Then, after I turn off my heated seat, turn off the car, come back, it kicks it back on (but not the passenger seat, which was left "on"). go figure.
- Electronics - Turning off garage opener/homelink when engine is off - I am used to rolling into my bay with engine off already, in neutral (millennials, see the NOTE above), so have to re-think that. Also, on colder days, I'd prefer to start the engine when the garage door is open already, but not have to open garage door when I enter the garage from the house (and walk by wall controller). Nitpicking, I know, but the manual says "HomeLink is powered by your 12V battery" - I'd prefer it to be not through the ignition.
- Controls - not sure if it's JL-specific, but I figured out what bothers me about the windshield wiper stock/lever after driving through a big puddle and essentially losing visibility for a few seconds. On Jeep, turning on the wipers is accomplished by turning the end of the lever, So: 1) let go of the wheel 2) reposition the hand to grab the stock with fingers 3) turn the end of the lever. I would prefer to reach with my finger and flick the stock/lever down. Yes, there is a Mist feature but it's activated by pulling the stock up, and, in that particular scenario, I didn't need any more water on the windshield, and, pulling up still requires letting go of the steering wheel (maybe it's just my hands)
- Mirrors - driver-side mirror doesn't turn far enough for me not to see the tail end w/o leaning left - I prefer them to be "looking" further out - if i need a reference point of my rear, I can lean left.
- Still getting used to how far the rear gate swings - there were a few times I had to pull further than I like just so that I have enough clearance to open the gate with garage door closed. Alternatively, have to back into garage (which also aligns the direction of the gate opening with the door into garage.
- Well I'm glad the glove compartment at least fits the manual (and only the manual)
- My older dog is not very happy with the height of the floor and looks at me with "I'm disappointed in you" expression every time before she enters the vehicle. On a more serious note, I may get steps in the future - if only so I can reach stuff on the roof if need be.
- I'm guessing the Manual and changing the menu styles are 8.4" UConnect features - my 7" UConnect doesn't seem to have these.

On the next episode of "Let Me Nitpick" - installing roof racks, door sills, and "can we avoid having 3 inches of dog fur all over the back by installing a cargo mat"

Disclosure: for safe-place-seeking millennials offended by being singled out above - before you call me an insensitive old idiot - I'm a millennial myself, so go get yourself a cup of starbucks and learn how to drive a manual - it's "old school" and should go well with a beard and thick-rimmed glasses ;-)
OMFG you’re killing me with this review! :cwl::cwl::giggle:

Shiloh

First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited,
Picked "Shiloh" up last week after waiting 6 weeks for her build. Her name is a nod to my Arizona roots and regular weekends of getting dirty exploring the desert. Anyways, it was love at first sight and well worth the wait!

20180228_190405.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Smarrtazz

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked "Shiloh" up last week after waiting 6 weeks for her build. Her name is a nod to my Arizona roots and regular weekends of getting dirty exploring the desert. Anyways, it was love at first sight and well worth the wait!

20180228_190405.jpg
Wow! Nice combination of build and wheels. Congratulations!

RubiMom18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubcion
67931174-11B7-42E8-BAD3-75B4360FA1F2.jpeg I have put 2000 plus miles on my JLUR in the month I have owned it. My previous vehicle was a 2008 JKUR. The JL is so much better on the road with better handling, pick up and creature comforts. I’ve only had it on some muddy fire roads, but it feels more capable there too with taller tires and more clearance.
:involve: I'm waiting for mine to arrive ... you're a little to the north of me. Mind if I drive yours while I wait LOL:giggle:

manuka

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR (on order), 2017 Chevy Volt

Overall. LOVE IT!!!!

- Molle FTW!!!

The neutral / expected:

Awesome!

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
Rubi, stock, 800 miles. Still cold, so the top stayed on, no exhibitionism. Learned (through research) that it's illegal to drive with windshield down in CT. F*$&@^#!

Overall: LOVE IT EVEN MORE!

The good:
- I've almost recovered from the cardiac arrests induced by ESS. I now can, most of the time, predict when the engine will shut off, and wonder when it doesn't "WTF, you are supposed to shut off now"
- Starting to see one or two JLUs around - I'm no longer special. Well, I'm still a very special snowflake, but that's a different story
- I seriously can start in 2nd - this is a torque-y engine (if you are confused by what I say, see notes in my previous post)
- I don't think I had the need to use the 6th yet - I did a couple of 30+ mile trips on Merritt (it's hilly), doing up to 70-75 at times, and didn't feel the need.
- Power-washed the Jeep (to be fair, using the widest nozzle), deliberately spent extra time pointing at the door gaps and windows - no leaks at all.

The neutral:
- Electronics continues to be a puzzle - no gremlins, but the mystery of heated seat/heated steering wheel "memory" has yet to be solved.
- The backup camera ends up catching some dirt eventually - just need to get into the habit of cleaning it. Considering how much slush there was on the road after the recent storms, it could've been much worse

The "ugh":
- Found a couple of faint scratches on the clearcoat and the hardtop - with nor'easters in the last two weeks bringing down trees all over the place I ended up "not clearing" a couple of branches/brush leaning into the road. Ugh.

Additions:
- Mopar roof racks - fairly simple install - I did have to adjust the width slightly - otherwise the piece the contact patch of the piece that grabs the rail would be smaller. Now I gotta figure out how to attach my old Thule carriers to it. Though, to be fair, I mostly got it to transport things like plywood and sheetrock. Given the height, I will definitely need sidesteps to reach/load stuff onto the racks - I'm 6'3 and I can't reach it beyond the most trivial manipulation.

IMG_20180318_140026483.jpg
IMG_20180318_140038854.jpg
IMG_20180318_140253859_HDR.jpg

- Plastic door sill guards - within a week of buying the jeep, I found scratches on the door sills, so these became a "now" thing. Installation is simple, although, the edge of the sill is still exposed - wondering if the aftermarket has something that would extend further (and therefore stick from under the door)

- Cargo mat - in a sisyphean effort to maintain the thickness of dog fur cover of interior of a vehicle below 3 inches, I bought LloydsMats Rubbertite Rear Cargo mat. This is a JK-specific model which is meant for rear-seats-down configuration. It fits, not as tight as JL-specific would, but what-are-you-going-to-do? If I wait till JL-specific model, I will drown in fur and dirt picked up from the trail my dogs walk.
IMG_20180318_135813682.jpg
The front of the mat comes up to about 1-1.5 inches from the edge of the folded rear seat.
There are 2-inch gaps on each side, along the footwells:
IMG_20180318_135908382.jpg
This also doesn't cover any of the vertical carpeted surfaces. So, I just bought a better vacuum :facepalm:
The design of the mat is great - it definitely works as far as holding on to the dirt from the dogs and not having spill-overs if they are wet. Now, I just need to come up with a way to protect the sides of the folded seats which are exposed when the door is open. Our Blue Heeler mix jumps up landing inside on all four - the rear two usually end up right on the side of the folded seat which is not covered.

:jk: on!

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Day 7 / 455 miles / 2nd tank of Fuel and one car wash with a hand towel dry off

FREAKIN LOVE IT !!!!!! ...Didnt expect great millage and a smooth ride but was fooled ! .
* Response and handling A+ for a new Jeep !
* Modifications and little accessories costing me a small fortune ? ...YUP ! ....Worth every penny ??....YUP !
* Getn looks going down the road ?...YUP !
* Am I wiping down spots here and there with a Microfiber cloth as Im showing it off ??...YUP!

Extremely happy with Her !!! " La Sancha "

never been on time for work this many days in a row !!!

20180324_120109.jpg

20180324_120307.jpg

20180324_120343.jpg

20180325_124833.jpg

20180323_185402.jpg

20180323_192354.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Smarrtazz

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Day 7 / 455 miles / 2nd tank of Fuel and one car wash with a hand towel dry off

FREAKIN LOVE IT !!!!!! ...Didnt expect great millage and a smooth ride but was fooled ! .
* Response and handling A+ for a new Jeep !
* Modifications and little accessories costing me a small fortune ? ...YUP ! ....Worth every penny ??....YUP !
* Getn looks going down the road ?...YUP !
* Am I wiping down spots here and there with a Microfiber cloth as Im showing it off ??...YUP!

Extremely happy with Her !!! " La Sancha "

never been on time for work this many days in a row !!!

20180324_120109.jpg

20180324_120307.jpg

20180324_120343.jpg

20180325_124833.jpg

20180323_185402.jpg

20180323_192354.jpg
That is so beautiful!! La Sancha! Hot name ;)

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
That is so beautiful!! La Sancha! Hot name ;)
Thanks Trina ! La Sancha = the Mistress

had a hell of a time with Rim selections but I think she wears these well !!

Unbelievably Impressed !!

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Thanks Trina ! La Sancha = the Mistress

had a hell of a time with Rim selections but I think she wears these well !!

Unbelievably Impressed !!
Love those rims....what are they?

BlakWulf07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon JK/2018 Rubicon JLU
Black Rhino Warlord - gunmetal - 20 x 9
I’ve been looking at those same rims for when I get my JLU Rubicon. Question: Did you have any problems with aligning the backup camera on the spare tire?
Sponsored