Improved cabin microphone?

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Probably a weird question, but here goes...

I am finding it increasingly difficult to use the voice command feature with Apple CarPlay now that I have removed the doors and top for the summer. With the increase in wind and road noise Siri is almost useless. Are there any solutions out there to improve this functionality? I’m thinking like a dash mounted shotgun microphone that’s pointed at the driver. Wasn’t sure if any of you creative types have come up with a solution to this already.
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
probably going to take more effort than it’s worth.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Probably a weird question, but here goes...

I am finding it increasingly difficult to use the voice command feature with Apple CarPlay now that I have removed the doors and top for the summer. With the increase in wind and road noise Siri is almost useless. Are there any solutions out there to improve this functionality? I’m thinking like a dash mounted shotgun microphone that’s pointed at the driver. Wasn’t sure if any of you creative types have come up with a solution to this already.
I'll give the smart ass response. The solution is to put the doors back on

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'll give the smart ass response. The solution is to put the doors back on
RAH RAH MANUAL SPORT WITH NO POER ANYTHING! JUST LIKE THE 1946 I DROVE BACK IN THE DAY!
I'm a tax payer! *shakes cane*

I'm kidding, but I felt like this thread needed that element lol. It was missing.

I wonder if you can replace the mic with one that has one of those wind filter thingies on it.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
My son who bought his Rubi before me had the same noise/microphone problem, after removing front doors and freedom panels. (He left the rear doors on due to twin baby seats holding twin toddlers...) He bought a trucker's Bluetooth headset that had one earphone and a noise-canceling boom microphone. It works great on speakerphone/handsfree calls going 60 mph. I'll try to find out the model and put it in a later post.

I don't know if this setup would work with Siri, however. Siri has her limitations, as some have noted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
My son who bought his Rubi before me had the same noise/microphone problem, after removing front doors and freedom panels. (He left the rear doors on due to twin baby seats holding twin toddlers...) He bought a trucker's Bluetooth headset that had one earphone and a noise-canceling boom microphone. It works great on speakerphone/handsfree calls going 60 mph. I'll try to find out the model and put it in a later post.

I don't know if this setup would work with Siri, however. Siri has her limitations, as some have noted.

Thank you for the great recommendation. I will certainly look into this. My Sirius subscription ends in a few weeks so I plan to load up my iPhone with tunes and hopefully use Siri (limitations and all) to navigate the playlists. It would also be great if a headset like this, with wind/noise cancellation, would allow me to make and receive phone calls while on the road. I know, I know...1st world problems. Trust me, I feel the embarrassment posting this question...LOL.

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,

Probably one of the Blue Parrot models. I bought one of the higher end models for use in my older vehicles. Paid $150-ish for it on Amazon, and has been completely worth it.

Although I'm a little irate about the engineers that designed the system- "let's install a system for a Jeep that is completely in appropriate for a Jeep."

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure it is the microphone that is the issue. Android Assistant seems to work ok with Android Auto with the top down and/or doors off, as long as you aren't at highway speed.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
I’m sure a headset could get the job done, but I keep wondering if I could tap into the cabin’s microphone input and either bypass it to a mounted shotgun mic (with windscreen) or modify the existing mic input to better filter out background noise so I’m not that crazy guy yelling “Hey Siri..play my AC/DC playlist!!!” for the 8th time in a row at his dash.

I think this is the driver’s side microphone input. If I get some time I’ll research more and report back what I find out.

48FD411E-E337-4A16-A0BF-7397E7C7E669.jpeg
Sponsored