Sponsored

I'm impressed with the JLU

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Gotta say I'm impressed with the JLU as a long-haul vehicle. Just got back from a 1600 mile round-trip from GA to IN and back. 4 adults and luggage. I think we were at max payload (850lbs?).

My daily is a Mustang GT and the Jeep is my wife's. Stock 2020 Sport S with 3.6L Auto and Dueller A/T tires. Engine handled the mountain grades thru TN with no issues. With a full load it did drop into 7th even on a slight incline. No problem though, it didn't run over 2000rpm. Averaged 23mpg running around 75mph with a top speed of 80 coasting down the mountain. Tires were surprisingly quiet and had very good road manners. Many road imperfections I would feel in my Mustang didn't even register in the Jeep. Extra sidewall and circumference makes a difference.

We have the premium soft-top and I can't say the wind noise is bothersome either. Easy to hold a conversation w/o having to speak louder. Although when using the speakerphone thru the cars audio system, people on the other end wanted to know if we had the windows open when we didn't.

Gotta say I do like the higher vantage point so you can see what's going on in front of you.

Only three minor issues. Seats could be a little softer and the play in the steering wheel makes for an active drive. Not enough of an annoyance to say I'd never do a long drive again, but it's there and it's noticeable. The brakes take some getting used to when I normally have big Brembos up front in the Mustang and a lot more rubber on the road.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The main reason you don’t feel road imperfections is the body-on-frame construction. Years ago all American cars were built this way and were famous for their quiet interiors, road isolation and smooth ride. Today full-size pickups provide a quiet and smooth driving experience similar to that of big Chryslers, Fords and Buicks of old.

After driving Wranglers for 10+ years I can’t be bothered with most unibody CUVs on the market today: you can feel and hear everything little thing on the road.

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
We just drove 900 miles from OH to FL in the exact same setup. Premium soft top stock Sport S and experienced the same results, but I’ve never noticed a steering issue in mine. Much tighter steering than I ever expected based on others’ reviews.

Very, very pleased with the overall comfort and performance of the JLU on the long trip. Not dreading the drive back home at all.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Put about 2,000 miles on our JLUR over the holiday weekend and week and were very happy with its performance. Was on hilly roads and it would shift from 8th to 7th when necessary and was smooth in doing so.

The leather seats are supportive and firm, but breaking in nicely.

The 3.6 ran great and was plenty powerful enough to handle what was thrown its way.

Sure, there are many vehicles that would be more plush and comfortable as a road trip vehicle, but not many as fun. And lucky I guess the steering is just fine in ours!

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
We just got back from a trip to Arizona (around 1900 miles) and my Jeep was great. The wind noise from the doors was noticeable but that can be improved. The 2.0 did great and we got 18 mpg doing around 80 mph.

In what other vehicle can you drive loaded with stuff for your kid’s new apartment *and* then run Broken Arrow trail? Yep. Good times.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta say I'm impressed with the JLU as a long-haul vehicle. Just got back from a 1600 mile round-trip from GA to IN and back. 4 adults and luggage. I think we were at max payload (850lbs?).

My daily is a Mustang GT and the Jeep is my wife's. Stock 2020 Sport S with 3.6L Auto and Dueller A/T tires. Engine handled the mountain grades thru TN with no issues. With a full load it did drop into 7th even on a slight incline. No problem though, it didn't run over 2000rpm. Averaged 23mpg running around 75mph with a top speed of 80 coasting down the mountain. Tires were surprisingly quiet and had very good road manners. Many road imperfections I would feel in my Mustang didn't even register in the Jeep. Extra sidewall and circumference makes a difference.

We have the premium soft-top and I can't say the wind noise is bothersome either. Easy to hold a conversation w/o having to speak louder. Although when using the speakerphone thru the cars audio system, people on the other end wanted to know if we had the windows open when we didn't.

Gotta say I do like the higher vantage point so you can see what's going on in front of you.

Only three minor issues. Seats could be a little softer and the play in the steering wheel makes for an active drive. Not enough of an annoyance to say I'd never do a long drive again, but it's there and it's noticeable. The brakes take some getting used to when I normally have big Brembos up front in the Mustang and a lot more rubber on the road.
All that and it is still a beast off-road, too! I started another thread where a guy tore down a 3.6 Pentastar from a Promaster van that failed after 625,000 miles! Yes, thatś about a trip to the Moon and back! The engine looked incredibly clean inside with no sludge and barely any varnish. The plastic timing chain guides failed. The chains had some wear and were loose, but I think they could have gone a good bit longer. Anyway, if it weren´t so complicated to replace the chain and guides, that engine probably could take a crack at a million miles. So it performs well, is efficient, and is VERY long lasting.

I´m with you. I love taking long trips in my JLUR. Great on the highway, awesome off-road, and great on the road trip home. What more could you ask of it?
Sponsored