Sponsored

Impressed and disappointed with Sport S

95Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I finally test drove a two-door Sport S. Being a manual guy, I was totally impressed with how quick and responsive the 8-speed auto truly is! I know this is old news for some folks, but dang! However, I was disappointed in the fit and finish. I realized it wasn't a Rubi or Sahara, but the Sport S was noticeably "cheaper." The first thing I noticed was unsightly huge gaps where the lower door jams meet the plastic on the floor. Being a $34k Jeep, I was expecting more.

I wished the dealer had a manual, but they seem to be rarer than unicorns.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Yea man it is what it is

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I finally test drove a two-door Sport S. Being a manual guy, I was totally impressed with how quick and responsive the 8-speed auto truly is! I know this is old news for some folks, but dang! However, I was disappointed in the fit and finish. I realized it wasn't a Rubi or Sahara, but the Sport S was noticeably "cheaper." The first thing I noticed was unsightly huge gaps where the lower door jams meet the plastic on the floor. Being a $34k Jeep, I was expecting more.

Out of everything the wrangler does, you are disappointed in that? That just re-iterates how nice these are. If you want to nit-pick on the different models, ALL are good for different things. This 4x4 is by far different that any other 4x4. The Rav4 is 4x4 and I wouldn't dare take it offroad, lol.

1. Sport/S - You can build it how you like, even bigger and better than the Rubi or Sahara. Doesn't matter if its inside or outside, You make it what you want it to look like. This is why this is the most popular model. While you add/mod, you payments are significantly lower than having the work done for you by factory mopar installations. You build as you go!
2. Sahara - This comes loaded everything interior.
3. Rubicon - This come loaded everything exterior.

I know this is a HIGH level overview, but at the end of the day, that is what each one of them is.

I saw a Base model Rubicon other day and my Sport S had way more stuff in it than his. In fact, he even had roll up windows! lol.

They are all great jeeps. Keep in mind that this is built for off-road, but driven on-road.

JillC

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Owner/operator of Vanity Fur Grooming Salon
Vehicle Showcase

I bought a two door soft top Sport S with every available group for $42k and still learning about everything it can do. It may not look as fancy as the Rubicon or Sahara but the extras are there, you just don’t notice them with a test drive. Heated seats and steering. The blind spot detection and back up camera are really nice especially on a soft top. The alpine stereo is great too, 8 speakers and a amp!! I had a new convertible Corvette in 2005 and it wasn’t as loaded as my new Jeep. But it was a Corvette!! Lol.

Sponsored

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Out of everything the wrangler does, you are disappointed in that? That just re-iterates how nice these are. If you want to nit-pick on the different models, ALL are good for different things. This 4x4 is by far different that any other 4x4. The Rav4 is 4x4 and I wouldn't dare take it offroad, lol.

1. Sport/S - You can build it how you like, even bigger and better than the Rubi or Sahara. Doesn't matter if its inside or outside, You make it what you want it to look like. This is why this is the most popular model. While you add/mod, you payments are significantly lower than having the work done for you by factory mopar installations. You build as you go!
2. Sahara - This comes loaded everything interior.
3. Rubicon - This come loaded everything exterior.

I know this is a HIGH level overview, but at the end of the day, that is what each one of them is.

I saw a Base model Rubicon other day and my Sport S had way more stuff in it than his. In fact, he even had roll up windows! lol.

They are all great jeeps. Keep in mind that this is built for off-road, but driven on-road.
Only a Sport has manual windows [and locks]. All Sport S, Sahara, and Rubicon trims have power windows [and locks]

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

All trim levels have the same fit and finish, and the same "unsightly huge gaps." Did you look at a Sahara/Rubicon back-to-back with the Sport S?
Sahara comes with soft touch upper door trim pieces and leather wrapped shifter handle & parking brake [Rubicon does if you have leather seat option] other than that, almost everything else is the same with the exception of the color [Sahara with leather gets a leather wrapped dash, but it is still the same piece, just leather vice gray or red colored]. For example, black trim pieces in the Sport/Sport S are chrome/satin chrome in the Sahara/Rubicon; but they are the same pieces.

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
Only a Sport has manual windows [and locks]. All Sport S, Sahara, and Rubicon trims have power windows [and locks]
I love that Jeep still offers the Sport with manual windows...frankly my bare bones ‘18 Unlimited was ordered manual everything and it’s fantastic...if only you could get a truck this way...

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i have a stick..... the clutch sucks. its going in in a week for its test. hopefully it fails.
fit is fine for me.... i have my doors and top off a lot anyway....
now the runs in the damn paint.... that sucks thankfully its in an area thats harder to see but i did notice it......

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

lol.

$30k is the new $20k. seriously. just confirmed it with an inflation calculator. $20k in 2000 is $30k today.
a Wrangler Sport was about $19k in 2000. go compare a 2000 wrangler sport to a 2020 sport and post your findings.

all the wrangler trims have basically the same interior except for the surface materials. pretty much like. ever. other. vehicle. for. sale. today.

if you plan to upsize the tires from the stock 31.5", do yourself a favor and get the auto. unless you plan to redo the gears too. at $34k for a sport s 2 door you might as well spend a few bucks more and get a 2 door rubicon. you get 33s stock and 4.10 gearing. definitely better if you want manual and 35s (or even 33s).

like most specialty vehicles, the $ is put into the performance of the vehicle. if you want premium fit and finish get an audi and just dont plan to do any real off roading. and dont put the top down.

oh and pay way more.
Sponsored