First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
There's a lot to like about a Road Glide, it's just that my 2016 rode like shit, no matter how many times I adjusted the crappy rear shocks. I didn't want to spend 2 grand for a new rear suspension. My wife couldn't take the jarring with her back injuries. And one good bump one morning had me in pain for days. Also, I had a tendency to scrape it on tight corners and the thought of it low siding due to that wasn't good. I will say this, the Harley has excellent fit and finish.

The Panamera is worth a look, except there are none in stock in my area. I need to se one in person, as they look a little awkward in photos. HD already made a decent ADV bike in the Buell Ulysses,we'll see how this new one fares.

I have considered a sport tour, but I'm note sure. My old DL1000 VStrom was kind of a cross between a sport tour and an ADV. It was brutal and unforgiving, but it roda and handled great in my opinion. The top heaviness took some getting used to, my wife hated riding on the flat seat. Ethanol fuel was always eating up the fuel lines.

I still want to try out another GS or GSA. I've seen many S1000 XRs used for good prices, so I wonder why they are unliked. I've never talked to anyone riding one as never see anyone with one.

The guy at the Triumph dealer can't quit talking about the new Tiger 900. I might give that a look, but I guess I have a mental block about going below a liter. Everyone I've talked to with a Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer complains about the heat off the radiator, but otherwise loves the bike.

The Versys is a damn ugly bike, but fits me like a glove when i sit on one. Don't know if I want a 650 though. They can be had cheap used. The 1000 is even uglier.

Another thought is a Yamaha FJ 09, which is more like a VStrom from my point of view.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Not many people know this, but there was a recent collaboration by at least three or four of the big names in motorcycling. They wanted to develop the best "all-rounder". I guess they had engineers, designers, and some of the top riders from around the world involved in its development, and when all was said and done they realized they had come up with the DR650. Which of course Suzuki had already come out with in 1996 or so, 35 years earlier.

I've had one since 2011 and I can tell you, well, there just isn't anything better.

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle 1634939182671

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Can't argue with you there Aces. The DR 650 is as reliable as a hammer. another one is the DRZ400. Fantastic bikes for the trail. Of course my Beta is the best of all for an overall "do it all machine". LOL!!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Since my Triumph Daytona will be my dedicated Track/Race Bike, I’m also wishing I had a dedicated Street Bike on the side. Here’s me and my Daytona (in Street Fairings) at New York Safety Track.

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle 1634939182671

I’m on the fence wanting either a Street Triple or a Supermoto (like a DRZ400SM, that could also be Track worthy).
The Street Triple is a fun bike. I like the Sport Triple even better. Both are great wheelie bikes. Also look at the KTM Super Duke.

There is a lot to be said about the Super Moto style bike. They just did not do it for me. Riding essentially a dirt bike on the street would just lead to trouble for me. I would get bored and start jumping everything and riding wheelies everywhere.

xidex

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
love my road glide ! and my street glide ! but am thinking of getting a KTM 890 adventure R also
Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle r
Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle s

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Yes

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My last bike. Rough riding son of a bitch on bad roads

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle 9788A279-1FEB-49B4-A259-C428CF1F54B1

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
had several bikes, ranging from the big and little enduros i grew up with to an early Gold Wing that i got bored to tears with.
spent many miles wandering highways that may or may not have been paved on an R1150GS Adventure (BMWs first 'Adventure'), but now can't stop getting giggles out of the KTM 1090 Adventure R i replaced it with.
100 lbs lighter than the GS, and very free-revving with 150% of the horsepower of the GS. no flat torque curve here; that Austrian begs to be accelerating.
not quite as stable as the GS on the highway (because of the difference in weight, mostly) but plenty stable enough, even at speed. seriously dirt-worthy if the mood strikes you and infinitely more nimble and fun to ride, even for long pavement days.
all said, i'm a tall'ish guy, and like the upright riding position of a big stupid enduro. having one that feels as nimble and stable as a high-end road-racing bicycle but with the power of something that is demonically possessed has been seriously working for me for the last few years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Been awhile since I started this thread went back and forth on a lot of bikes, sometimes life got in the way. Made a tentative deal on this bike this afternoon. If all goes well, I should pick it up Tuesday. It'll have lower engine guards and side/top cases but I have to wait a week for those to come in. Really looking forward to loging some miles on it. I had a 2013 R1200GS and it was probably my favorite bike. The riding experience should be similar, except this bike has 136 HP.

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle 1685844714561

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle 1685844752103

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Been awhile since I started this thread went back and forth on a lot of bikes, sometimes life got in the way. Made a tentative deal on this bike this afternoon. If all goes well, I should pick it up Tuesday. It'll have lower engine guards and side/top cases but I have to wait a week for those to come in. Really looking forward to loging some miles on it. I had a 2013 R1200GS and it was probably my favorite bike. The riding experience should be similar, except this bike has 136 HP.

While I have not rode a newer one, they are a decent wheelie bike until you get all the luggage on them. Now plan an adventure...

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Well, it came home yesterday. Looks good next to my Willys. I’m going to have to get a pick of them parked together.

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle 4CE7FFBE-3A6E-43A0-954E-A83AB4C54BEC

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
Test ride the HD Pan America.
Had one of those for 257 miles. Total POS. Good motor above 5k. Pooch where most people ride. Sold it, went back to GSA, my 5th BMW. No comparison in quality and functionality. YMMV

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I did the Yamaha's and Honda's for a number of years. But they always cramped me with my 365 in inseam and long arms, then sitting at a light one day I looked over and this guy is on a Harley and the the wheel base is like WOW. I ask he says its a Wide Glide, longest Wheelbase in the Harley link up.

I rode to the Harley Dealer and he did not have one but he had a waiting list. I said well put my name on that and as I stood there I mention I was an ALL CASH BUYER. He drew a line thru my name and put me at the TOP.

About a month later he calls and around 10am and says I got a Black Wide Glide in and if you can be here by noon its yours...ON THE WAY>

Bought it, built it and rode it all over Texas, for years, finally my Combat injuries caught up and I had to give it up, cried when I did.

Dyno's at 97 HP at the asphalt...and a Comfortable ride

Jeep Wrangler JL I want another motorcycle Harley (9).JPG
Sponsored