Hurricane Creek info please

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
We're taking a trip to Gatlingburg for Halloween weekend and would like to go hit Hurricane Creek while we're nearby. Can anyone provide me with detailed information on making the loop from I-40 back to I-40? Also are there any other similar trails in the Smoky Mountain area we may want to do?

We will be traveling in our 2021 Rubicon, it has the Mopar lift and runnng 37'' BFG KO2's on KMC beadlocks. From the videos I've seen of this trail I feel like we should have no issues with the terrain. My only concern is we will be running solo in the event something should go wrong and I assume cell phone service is little to none on the trail.
Sponsored

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I haven't been there myself, but wouldn't mind going if you need a trail buddy.
Still stock, but I've seen videos of stock Wranglers taking on that trail without much trouble.
PM me if you'd like

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
We're taking a trip to Gatlingburg for Halloween weekend and would like to go hit Hurricane Creek while we're nearby. Can anyone provide me with detailed information on making the loop from I-40 back to I-40? Also are there any other similar trails in the Smoky Mountain area we may want to do?

We will be traveling in our 2021 Rubicon, it has the Mopar lift and runnng 37'' BFG KO2's on KMC beadlocks. From the videos I've seen of this trail I feel like we should have no issues with the terrain. My only concern is we will be running solo in the event something should go wrong and I assume cell phone service is little to none on the trail.
your vehicle is more than capable. As long as you’ve had some seat time prior to running it, you’ll be fine.

that said, it was closed this summer - I don’t know if it’s opened back up yet.

here’s a video I made 10 years ago. It’s similar to this now, just the ruts are a bit deeper. This is actually the only time I ran it in a jeep, but I’ve done a bunch of times on motorcycles over the years. Hurricane Creek, JK and LR4, 2012

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
When I do decide to hit that trail I'll probably head there on a weekend and stop and ask the locals of the area what the status was. If closed, no biggie as I would probably just head a bit north and find some of the fire roads in Pisagh

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I just dropped a pin, but it should be 35.72330° N, 83.02644° W . You’ll be fine, solo as long as it’s semi dry.

You have to enter off of I40 west. So be careful and make sure there isn’t a Semi on your tail. I alternated hazards and my turn signal. If you miss it, the turn arounds take a good bit, so make sure you hit it the first time.

On I 40 west there is a rest stop a few miles before it. I’ll try to check, but IIRC the trail is around mm 9, and the last NC exit is 7.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I had it pinned on Chrome. I40 west runs south to north in these shots. Haywood Rest area before, Harmon Den exit 7 after. Turn right as soon as the guardrail ends after the 1 Mile to exit 7 sign.

Kind of funny, google street view has a Bronco drive right by it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hurricane Creek info please 1665666677833

Jeep Wrangler JL Hurricane Creek info please 1665666802970

Jeep Wrangler JL Hurricane Creek info please 1665666741676

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
Never realized you could get on there right off 40 seems super sketchy way to turn onto it. And also double check with locals if its open, Ive heard a lot of it is private land and a lot of the people that live on there arent too happy with people driving down just for fun.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Never realized you could get on there right off 40 seems super sketchy way to turn onto it. And also double check with locals if its open, Ive heard a lot of it is private land and a lot of the people that live on there arent too happy with people driving down just for fun.
I ran it about a month ago with no issues. Most of it's on Pisgah National Forest property (green below), there are multiple houses off the side, and no posted private on the road that I saw.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hurricane Creek info please 1665672098850

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I ran it about a month ago with no issues. Most of it's on Pisgah National Forest property (green below), there are multiple houses off the side, and no posted private on the road that I saw.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hurricane Creek info please 1665672098850

Is it best to go in off of I-40 at the Harmon Den sign and the at the split run it up towards Max Patch and back out to I-40 through Harmon Den? Would you happen to have any detailed directions on how you just ran it?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Is it best to go in off of I-40 at the Harmon Den sign and the at the split run it up towards Max Patch and back out to I-40 through Harmon Den? Would you happen to have any detailed directions on how you just ran it?
Yeah, I ran to Max Patch and then back to I40 on highway. (Once you hit highway just restarted Waze)

I didn't track it so I don't have a route to you.
Sponsored