How to wire Mopar lights

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
directions aren’t really great. How do I wire the Mopar 7” lights?
Do I connect them together and then to the aux?
I’m putting them under the Maximus stinger bar on a Maximus dual bracket.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LLRubylady

What lights....?

Mounted where on the JL?

Do you have Aux switches ?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LLRubylady

What lights....?

Mounted where on the JL?

Do you have Aux switches ?
Oh duh. I edited the original post. The Mopar 7” lights. It looks like it could be simple enough for me to attempt. I have six switches. I’ve never done any wiring ever

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@cns721

Yup, that video will give @LLRubylady an idea if she is up lets say, to do the wiring herself. She can watch the video and then come back and ask questions.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@lochado

No one said you absolutely, have to kill 12 v power. A guy like you though, that may be lets say clueless, in regard to working with 12v / with electrical, would probably be better off doing so.

Takes but 2 minutes or so to kill the 12v power. Why would you not do so.... since there is a risk of blowing fuses, damaging the accessory, etc.. if you make a stupid or accidental move or a typical mistake a Novice might make.

By the way, do you have the Aux switches?

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I never disconnected the battery when hooking up my aux lights. Its easy. Just youtube the install and you will find good instructions.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@@OUTDOORTREE

I don't kill the 12v power but I have a clue and you I gather must have a clue also.

BUT, if a guy/gal is clueless and has never worked with electrical, etc., it is really wiser to kill the 12v power, do the install and then think, think, think, ask questions and look over the install, prior to 12v power restore. Doing this can save blowing fuses, accessory damage and more.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@@OUTDOORTREE

I don't kill the 12v power but I have a clue and you I gather must have a clue also.

BUT, if a guy/gal is clueless and has never worked with electrical, etc., it is really wiser to kill the 12v power, do the install and then think, think, think, ask questions and look over the install, prior to 12v power restore. Doing this can save blowing fuses, accessory damage and more.
I will definitely kill the power before attempting anything.
Thanks for the video. I’ll see if I’m brave enough to tackle it.

Sponsored

KarlG

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 AEV 350 JK Rubicon 2019 JLUR
I will definitely kill the power before attempting anything.
Thanks for the video. I’ll see if I’m brave enough to tackle it.
It is easy and you'll do fine. Follow the instructions and run the harnesses from the lights together to near the battery, Hook up both positives of the lights to Aux 3 or 4 switch wire (your choice) located near the battery and then attach both the light ground wires to the body ground.

Here's a quick vid on how to crimp the 2 aux to a connector that connects to the Aux switch wire...watch a few other videos on crimping.

392Newbie

First Name
ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
I had the Mopar 7 inch off road lights installed bulky my my dealer. He wired one light into the aux 3 and one into the aux 4. I read the installation manual which says only use aux 3 or 4. It’s not clear if they should be on their own aux or you can put both on one aux switch. I’d prefer to put them on one switch. Does anyone have any advice here?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the Mopar 7 inch off road lights installed bulky my my dealer. He wired one light into the aux 3 and one into the aux 4. I read the installation manual which says only use aux 3 or 4. It’s not clear if they should be on their own aux or you can put both on one aux switch. I’d prefer to put them on one switch. Does anyone have any advice here?
@392Newbie

I understand your concern and good that you have sought out advice......

If you read the Mopar directions (yeah, they are a tad unclear) it specifically says IF, you can't hook to Aux 3 or Aux 4 (not available) to hook up the the two "lights" (plural) to a 15 amp power point... 15 amp is what both Aux 3 and 4 are rated for..

Here is a link to the install instructions for those lamps:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...ch-LED-Offroad-Light-Install-Instructions.pdf

These 2 lights are LED and the amp draw from them is not all that bad. I could not find the actual rating for these lights so do not actually know the amp draw for the pair.

Anyway, per the Mopar instructions, both "lights" (plural) can hook up together on either to Aux 3 or to Aux 4. Aux 3 and 4 are both fused at 15 amp.

By the way, if the single,.... Aux (3 or 4) that you hook up to can't handle both lights, the most that will happen is you will blow a 15 amp fuse. I'm quite confident that you can install both lights on together on either Aux 3 or 4 but I just mention this fuse thing to give you peace of mind....

Sponsored