Sponsored

How to completely remove soft top?

VBCJ2JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83CJ -> 18JLU
I upgraded from '83 CJ to JLU with soft top. I'm used to taking the entire soft top off (not just folding it up in the back) for the summer and then I put it back on in the fall. I've looked all over don't see any instructions on how to do this. Before I start wrenching stuff off, is there some easier way that I am missing? Thanks for any advise!
Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500

Dantmcb26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I was just looking for this. Please post how it goes. I’ was wondering the same thing. Just gotta figure out where I would store it.

Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just looking for this. Please post how it goes. I’ was wondering the same thing. Just gotta figure out where I would store it.
What are you looking for? This is an old thread and have links in the previous posts. If you need more help, let me know and I can try to help you

Dantmcb26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
What are you looking for? This is an old thread and have links in the previous posts. If you need more help, let me know and I can try to help you

Just wondering when the weather turns if the safari top that comes with the JL is easy to remove?

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
Also curious to see how this went. I am looking to do this for my soft top this summer, as I like the look so much better.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s super easy to remove the soft top. If you watch the video, it will show you. I’ve done it twice now (switch to hardtop in winter) and can have one top off and the other installed in about 25 mins. Could do it even faster if I used my small impact driver instead of the small Jeep ratchet. Start by removing the back windows. Then fold the top all the way down and make sure to lock it in place (there is a sliding lock on each side of the soft top where it bolts to roll cage. After that, undo the 2 bolts on each side where the top bolts to the mounts on the back of roll cage. Lift the top off (here is where having a second person helps). After that, it’s simply 4 bolts on each side of the Jeep to remove the door surrounds. The bolts are on the underside of the roll bar and go the whole way through. I can take some pictures tonight of the bolts, locks, etc. Just let me know.