How to avoid "cushiony sidewalls" .

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I was reading a review on the Wrangler and one point in the review stands out.

"....the Wrangler Unlimited tested here rides on 255/70R-18 all-season tires with a street-friendly tread. .......and while the Sahara’s cushiony sidewalls help soften the ride, they also contribute to the woolliness in the Jeep’s steering."

So, what can be done about "cushiony sidewalls"?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-suv-turbo-four-cylinder-hybrid
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I was reading a review on the Wrangler and one point in the review stands out.

"....the Wrangler Unlimited tested here rides on 255/70R-18 all-season tires with a street-friendly tread. .......and while the Sahara’s cushiony sidewalls help soften the ride, they also contribute to the woolliness in the Jeep’s steering."

So, what can be done about "cushiony sidewalls"?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-suv-turbo-four-cylinder-hybrid
Increase tire PSI and/or get load range E tires and suffer with a horrible ride. You want soft sidewalls in an offroad vehicle and reasonably soft in a daily driver. Tires are part of your suspension.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
you can also go to larger 20" wheels and less sidewall however the ride will be harsh

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
As above poster said going to Load Range E tires will help. My F150 came with soft sidewall tires for the sake of ride comfort. In reality, they were passenger car tires not truck tires. When loaded or towing a light travel trailer the tuck was really squirrely even with a weight distribution hitch and the truck's tires aired to max. By 18K miles the tires were toast. My local tire shop suggested putting Load Range E Hankook tires on the truck and running them at 45 psi. The difference was day and night. The truck tracked like it was on rails even when towing. We really didn't notice increased harshness or road noise. They've got 32K miles on them and look like they will go at least another 32K. This may not work on a Jeep, but it might be something to investigate.
Sponsored