First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe
Occupation
Manager of ones and zero's
Mining on the San Andreas sounds like a bad idea, but they do what they have to.

Personally I think Lithium is not going to be the future of electrification, but only time will tell.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I'm not too up on EV battery replacements and what is and isn't possible at the moment, but I really wish the industry would somehow standardize on battery modules that would have the same specs, chemistry, size and connection across all manufacturers. Probably still wouldn't be something akin to the average user-replaceable starter battery, but hopefully something more in that direction.

Knowing that lithium batteries deplete over time, my biggest obstacle for spending that kind of money on an EV (whether full, hybrid or even something like eTorque) is not having any faith that after the 8 year federally-mandated warranty is up, that I'd still be able to source a replacement.

I'm really not in favor of government mandates in general, but something as expensive as a modern vehicle shouldn't follow the same path as a modern smartphone, which is essentially disposable for all intents and purposes. Without some sort of standardization, any benefit of an EV is ultimately outweighed by unnecessary wastefulness.

fcsallan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe
Occupation
Manager of ones and zero's
I'm not too up on EV battery replacements and what is and isn't possible at the moment, but I really wish the industry would somehow standardize on battery modules that would have the same specs, chemistry, size and connection across all manufacturers. Probably still wouldn't be something akin to the average user-replaceable starter battery, but hopefully something more in that direction.

Knowing that lithium batteries deplete over time, my biggest obstacle for spending that kind of money on an EV (whether full, hybrid or even something like eTorque) is not having any faith that after the 8 year federally-mandated warranty is up, that I'd still be able to source a replacement.

I'm really not in favor of government mandates in general, but something as expensive as a modern vehicle shouldn't follow the same path as a modern smartphone, which is essentially disposable for all intents and purposes. Without some sort of standardization, any benefit of an EV is ultimately outweighed by unnecessary wastefulness.
The battery has a 10 year warranty. That aside, these are not just batteries, they are battery systems. There is a substantial cooling and electronic package that is part of the battery.

I agree that a standard would be better for us backyard mechanics, but it would also not allow for the rapid advances of the tech. The more different options that are deployed the quicker we get to a tried and true method for powering these things that would end up in a standard we can support in our own garages.

Remember how young this tech is. We are not quite even out of the infancy yet.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Anyone remember back in the early 2000's when hydrogen was the big push for making vehicles more environmentally friendly. The government was giving huge rebates to convert vehicles to hydrogen, or add hydrogen systems. Owners could drive in the car pool lane, etc. How did that pan out?

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
The battery has a 10 year warranty. That aside, these are not just batteries, they are battery systems. There is a substantial cooling and electronic package that is part of the battery.

I agree that a standard would be better for us backyard mechanics, but it would also not allow for the rapid advances of the tech. The more different options that are deployed the quicker we get to a tried and true method for powering these things that would end up in a standard we can support in our own garages.

Remember how young this tech is. We are not quite even out of the infancy yet.
There are standard batteries!
18650 and 21700
Well 4xe doesn’t have them, but many do. Including tesla.

They are similar shape to aa batteries. They are used in power tools, electric bikes, cars, everything. Backyard mechanics build tons of crap with these batteries.

The problem is how do you plan on a few thousand of these things together without dying or starting a giant fire.

Endless spere forum if interested in reading more.
Sponsored