First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
Have a lot of you had rock damage on your hood leading edge? I have a rock guard on mine but if hoods aren’t prone I’d like to go with a sleeker look. Thanks!
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Had my white JL for a year and a half in Colorado. Maybe I've been lucky, but don't have a single chip anywhere on my hood yet. No PPF, no deflector.

The door hinges, on the other hand... I wrapped them with clear bra material after I got my first big ding on the leading edge of one of the hinges.

OP
OP
Trojan_Actual

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
Had my white JL for a year and a half in Colorado. Maybe I've been lucky, but don't have a single chip anywhere on my hood yet. No PPF, no deflector.

The door hinges, on the other hand... I wrapped them with clear bra material after I got my first big ding on the leading edge of one of the hinges.
Were they kits for the hinges?

Deleted member 59498

Yes I get them here, we have lots of gravel all winter and most of spring. Just part of the life. I need to get the touch paint pen, the Sarge Green wrangler I had the dealer gave me one when I purchased. Not this time.

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Hood was always the black sheep of the family. His brother Kid is pretty cool tho...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My wife's Flex has PPF on the whole front end back to the doors. The front of the hood has a dent from a rock. Otherwise it looks pretty good. I put PPF on my GMC front edges. Seems to help. I know the previous truck was blasted pretty bad without PPF.

pb0721

First Name
Prasanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited, 2017 Nissan Murano, Altima
Occupation
SW Engineer
My wife's Flex has PPF on the whole front end back to the doors. The front of the hood has a dent from a rock. Otherwise it looks pretty good. I put PPF on my GMC front edges. Seems to help. I know the previous truck was blasted pretty bad without PPF.
Hi ,

Need some advice on PPF. You have mentioned that you had PPF on whole front end. I have been looking to get PPF done for my 5 month old jeep for the hood and then the front grill.
Could you please suggest which one would be the better and cheaper option. I tried enquiring at couple of places and they were quoting $800 - $1100 just for the hood + front grill.

TIA

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician

That's exactly what I've done, well I didn't us PPF, I used 3M clear film, so far so good. I have not had to re apply it yet, it's held up so far!

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If you want to save some money, you can do the front half of the hood and skip the grille. Being plastic, the grille just doesn't pick up the kinds of chips that the hood does. You wouldn't think the underlying material would matter much, but it does in my experience.

Quality PPF will have a 10-year warranty for both the product and the installation.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For my hood, I use a hood protector.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood rock damage? stoneguard-no.JPG

For film hinge protection this outfit has some excellent pre cut stuff.. Fit is very good. Yes, patience is needed in applying. I applied on my 2018, 3+ years ago and this film on the hinges has stayed put, has not yellowed and has prevented any rock chips.
https://www.r3offroad.com/offroad

Should also mention forum sponsor @Threedom is soon to release a line of different design, (to include plain/smooth) Nylon PA12 - An Engineering Grade Material hinge covers, that I have been privy to see... all I can say is Wow! The detail on them is amazing... Enlarge the pic below and see!

Here is a pic of Gator design Handle and Hinge cover.. (My favorite)
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood rock damage? 20220531_151750

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hi ,

Need some advice on PPF. You have mentioned that you had PPF on whole front end. I have been looking to get PPF done for my 5 month old jeep for the hood and then the front grill.
Could you please suggest which one would be the better and cheaper option. I tried enquiring at couple of places and they were quoting $800 - $1100 just for the hood + front grill.

TIA
The most cost effective treatment would be to just do the grill and leading edges of the hood, (fenders if painted). But, I found that cost was all over the place, since this service is basically small businesses, including one-man mobile type businesses. It's not cheap, especially here in the Los Angeles area.

Better? Cheaper? Pick one. Not both.
Xpel film is among the most popular. I think because it conforms more easily than other brands. It's among the most popular here in socal. It's also pretty pricey.

That quote you got was right in the middle of what I've seen.

pb0721

First Name
Prasanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SW Engineer

For film hinge protection this outfit has some excellent pre cut stuff.. Fit is very good. Yes, patience is needed in applying. I applied on my 2018, 3+ years ago and this film on the hinges has stayed put, has not yellowed and has prevented any rock chips.

Should also mention forum sponsor @Threedom is soon to release a line of different design, (to include plain/smooth) Nylon PA12 - An Engineering Grade Material hinge covers, that I have been privy to see... all I can say is Wow! The detail on them is amazing... Enlarge the pic below and see!

Thank you

pb0721

First Name
Prasanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SW Engineer
The most cost effective treatment would be to just do the grill and leading edges of the hood, (fenders if painted). But, I found that cost was all over the place, since this service is basically small businesses, including one-man mobile type businesses. It's not cheap, especially here in the Los Angeles area.

Better? Cheaper? Pick one. Not both.
Xpel film is among the most popular. I think because it conforms more easily than other brands. It's among the most popular here in socal. It's also pretty pricey.

That quote you got was right in the middle of what I've seen.
Thanks

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

@Rhinebeck01

Will handle covers be offered for proximity door lock owners...if you know?
Sponsored