First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
It also prevents the Engine Heat from screwing up your hoods Paint after years of use.

** Oops that was already said above lol

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
A slightly less known benefit from those mats is in the event of an engine fire, they help smother the flames...in theory. They are hit and miss

Brett

Harper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.myjeepadventures.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Black and Tan
Thanks! Actually I pulled it to throw a hood decal on (had to get the hood bumpers/sprayers off). Easy enough to put back on. I was just being lazy. Do like the paint, and don't like flooded engines, so I'm thinking putting it back in place is a no brainer...
I'm going to be doing the same for the same reason. Any tips for removing the insulation or the bumpers?

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Why they gave Rubi's rice from the factory (non functioning vents) is beyond me

Just cut the opening up of the insulation and the bottom of the vents out and you're set

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sorry if this is asked and answered, but the black insulation under the hood... do we really need that junk? Is the sound dampening really worth it? Or does it make a difference in preventing overheating (I'd think the opposite).

Full disclosure: I just pulled it for a mod, and broke half the lil black plastic tacks. I really don't want to bother putting it back in... :cwl:
The insulator is more than just that.

It protects hood from heat, the engine from water and the functional vents were designed to work with it.

The small holes in the hood vents create greater vaccuum than if they were open/larger holes.

A larger hole for the vent would create a tumbling effect of air. The small hole creates a strong streamlined vaccuum of exhaust.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Why they gave Rubi's rice from the factory (non functioning vents) is beyond me

Just cut the opening up of the insulation and the bottom of the vents out and you're set
Sorry that would actually create less vaccuum.

The small holes in the vents were designed to work WITH the hood isolator.

Open up the hole size in the vent and you will create a tumbling effect of air.

The small hole creates a strong streamlined vent/exhausting of air.

Ever been in a smokey car? Crack the window just a little and you'll see all the smoke get vented right out pretty quickly.

Roll the window dow all the way and the smoke will "tumble" in the cabin and actually take longer to vent.

Simple science actually

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Sorry that would actually create less vaccuum.

The small holes in the vents were designed to work WITH the hood isolator.

Open up the hole size in the vent and you will create a tumbling effect of air.

The small hole creates a strong streamlined vent/exhausting of air.

Ever been in a smokey car? Crack the window just a little and you'll see all the smoke get vented right out pretty quickly.

Roll the window dow all the way and the smoke will "tumble" in the cabin and actually take longer to vent.

Simple science actually
I meant cut out the bottom completely instead of little holes, like stock vents but without the bottom part and then where the insulation would be, cut that part too

Just figure why buy Spyder vents when you can diy

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been curious about putting my hood insulation back in but now that I have extra plastic rivets that the hood needs for it I’ll cut my insulation to support my hood louver.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Insulation C3BC2FAE-6414-42A3-8F8E-224970F0E210

Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Only quake I get is when I have the hood up and the wind is catching it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hood Insulation 40F8241C-53D0-4080-9BD0-E02D5E5A1451

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Sorry if this is asked and answered, but the black insulation under the hood... do we really need that junk? Is the sound dampening really worth it? Or does it make a difference in preventing overheating (I'd think the opposite).

Full disclosure: I just pulled it for a mod, and broke half the lil black plastic tacks. I really don't want to bother putting it back in... :cwl:
Hi Ross. I have removed about everyone of those brittle "potato chips" from all my vehicles. They are for sound insulation and have nothing to do with deflecting heat as some on here indicate. I included a couple of photos of what I did to reroute the water. Basically a couple of 1/4" plastic elbows, a couple of pieces of plexiglass to cover the slots and some clear tubing I had laying around. Insert the clear hose in the rubber seal on both sides of the hood (hollow rubber tube) and the water drains to the back of the front fender. Works great.

Additionally I cut out the sides (leave at least 1/4" from the bottom) to help the heat escape which works quite well.

Anyway, give it a look and congratulations for getting rid of that .10 junk pad!

v11.jpg

v12.jpg

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
It also prevents the Engine Heat from screwing up your hoods Paint after years of use.

** Oops that was already said above lol
Doesn't have a thing to do with engine heat and paint problems. Most muscle cars never had an insulation pad. I've had several Jeeps that didn't have any either.

It's for sound insulation and in the JL's case, provides drainage channels for the fake air vents.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
@JEEPIDON That is a clean install and great idea. Give the water a place to drain AND the heat escape. I was going to saw to hell with the water issue, but after seeing this i may have to copy your idea.
Sponsored