Hitch Mount Cargo Storage

Meadows

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I have a 2021 Willy's JLU, and I'm looking for some hitch mounted storage. While I would love to be able to open the swing gate, my bigger priority is capacity. This is mostly likely used for camping or family trips for suitcases, totes, etc. (i.e. get to a destination and unload). I'm not interested in a box because of the limited capacity.

I was drawn to this one because of its overall size, deep well, and 400lb capacity. Also folds up. Price seems a little too good, so I worry about quality.
Amazon.com: OKLEAD 400 Lbs Heavy Duty Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 60" x 24" x 14.4" Folding Cargo Rack Rear Luggage Basket Fits 2" Receiver for Car SUV Camping Traveling: Automotive

Does anyone have any experience with this specific carrier or similar ones they would recommend?

I've checked out a few of the older threads on this topic, but I wanted to re-spark the topic to see folk's latest experiences.
Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
That's identical to the one uhaul sells for $80, minus the side panels.

I've got the uhaul one and used it for moving my lawnmower to my parents and back and it's been fine for that.

It's rated at 500lbs but idk if it'd put more then a couple hundred on a JL hitch since it's just held on with 4 bolts lol

OP
OP
Meadows

Meadows

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
That's identical to the one uhaul sells for $80, minus the side panels.

I've got the uhaul one and used it for moving my lawnmower to my parents and back and it's been fine for that.

It's rated at 500lbs but idk if it'd put more then a couple hundred on a JL hitch since it's just held on with 4 bolts lol
Good point on the 500lb rating. My tow package has a TWC of 350lbs, so I assume I can load it up with 350 minus the weight of the carrier (62 lbs), so about 285lbs.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I've used these types of carriers for years on my JK and on my 2018 JL. They suck. If you have oversize tires, like me (35's), then forget about your tailgate opening more than 40%. Also, in order for the folding feature to work, you will need to get a hitch extender which will reduce the hitch weight rating in half.

Until I get a proper exoskeleton rack to go over my soft top, I tolerate this type of rack, but it's not the best solution. I mean, I use it for hauling bulky items for short distances and I did use it to hold my 10 man tent and cooler and other camping gear from LA to Ensenada, MX, but it's not my preference.

Sponsored

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
I've used this $60 cargo carrier, that I picked up from Academy, a few times to mainly carry a cooler and firewood when going camping to allow for more interior space. The tailgate can still swing open with it hooked up as long as it's empty. Downsides are it's not very light and doesn't fold up, but get past that and for the price it works great.

My fear with any of these cargo carriers that are loaded up is driving at night. With the LED package, our headlights don't have a manual high adjustment dial, so we end up blinding everybody coming towards us. :(

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-folding-hitch-carrier#repChildCatid=5037510

97TJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
I built the box below for off roading/vacations/extra camper storage. It doubles as an outdoor cook surface/bench, as well as storage. Designed a hitch mount fixture that allows quick roll, rotate, push, pin mounting...I have a patent pending on the mounting system...On the removal, I have spring pins that catch the clevis pin holes and stops the box from falling off, at which point the wheeled end is rotate down and the pins rotate out of the clevis pin holes, allowing the box to be removed with one pin removal...About 11 cu Ft of lockable storage that's dirt, water and mud free. I put about 50K miles on various boxes of this design with no issues. Nice thing is I can attached and detach the box fully loaded.

IMG_20220507_125041.jpg

Johnny Boxx Jeep Picinic.jpg

original_41f3b70d-dc83-41fb-816a-3bd52c528aad_IMG_20220623_083808.jpg
Sponsored