Hit a Bump Almost Died

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Before you go spending $$ on an alignment I’d check out your track bar. I’m having the same problem. I had a mopar 2” lift put on and then the v41 recall came. So I’m thinking I don’t want the dealership messing around with my suspension. So I called and asked the if they would install the dual dampner on my Jeep if I bought the part. They said no and all they were going to do for the recall is weld the nuts so they can’t come loose! So I put the duel dampner on myself. It made it worse!! So if u look at the track bar and have someone turn the wheel back and forth(just a little bit) you will see your stock trackbar is flexing! Putting on the dual dampner made it worse because there is more resistance. The stock track bar looks beefy at first look but upon further inspection it is hollow and has the ends pressed in it and crimped on! I believe this is where the wobble is coming from. I ordered a terra flex track bar and should be in tomorrow. I will post after and let y’all know if that fixes this death wobble.
Not only does the track bar flex, it also has bushings soft enough to allow it to move back and forth. Additionally, the track bar frame attach bracket is marginal.

The factory track bar is likely the responsible for much of the wandering, shimmy, and DW problems. The "new" factory replacement track bar has stiffer bushings, but my understanding is that it is the same bar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDoty47

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
So I got a call from the dealership who is checking out the steering damper. They confirmed the original dealer installed the part incorrectly. As a result it was damaged, causing the effed up steering issues. They replaced it and completed another recall I was unaware of. Pickup it up soon. Hopefully it drives like its supposed to

LBledsoe

First Name
Lilyann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
On my 5th (FIFTH) dealer-replaced steering dampener..... As soon as warranty expires, will break-up with dealer.

GOOD LUCK!

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
On my 5th (FIFTH) dealer-replaced steering dampener..... As soon as warranty expires, will break-up with dealer.
GOOD LUCK!
Love that - breaking up with dealer! I had to break up with the nearest-to-me dealer, and now go 25 miles to a far better one. Worth the drive.
Sponsored