Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
That is with stock tires, I assume. With larger tires you'd be going somewhat faster.

I'll relate that I did higher speeds for a few minutes in between obstacles in my JKUR, and I will never do it again. Even in top (5th) gear in the auto the engine was screaming and there was a distinct smell of things heating up.

I will now pop out of 4L anytime I need to move above 10 or 15 MPH or so for any duration that is more than a few seconds.
Popping out at 10 or even 15 is unnecessary. Why pop out at 10 MPH when at 2,500 in 8th gear you're going 21 MPH? The xfer case is just another gear reduction, it's not fragile magic. @wibornz wrote here he go's 50, that's a little too close to redline for my gears/tires.

Take a look at my https://bt39.com/GearWheelSpeed you can put in any combination you like and you can get exact numbers. Gear/wheel/RPM/Speed calculators are all over the internet.

A Stock Ruby and my planned build on 42's with 5.38 gears are within 3% of each other. With all my previous 2.7 and 2.0 xfer case 4x4s, I had hundreds of miles in low range going over 50 MPH. With the 4:1 Ruby case, I'll limit it to 8th gear, 4500 RPM which is 38 MPH.

Some tech writer wrote that ridiculous owners manual advice 30 years ago and they have no reason to change it. It costs money to update the owner manual.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Popping out at 10 or even 15 is unnecessary. Why pop out at 10 MPH when at 2,500 in 8th gear you're going 21 MPH?
Well, maybe 20 MPH with the JLUR-8speed is about the same as 15MPH with the JKUR-5speed.

Thinking is that if I am driving faster than that, there is probably quite a bit of traction on the road and potential for wheels to bounce off/on the pavement with the the T/C locked and gears spining at a good clip. Probably harmless, but I'd rather always use the freest/lowest revving drive mode for the conditions.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Popping out at 10 or even 15 is unnecessary. Why pop out at 10 MPH when at 2,500 in 8th gear you're going 21 MPH? The xfer case is just another gear reduction, it's not fragile magic. @wibornz wrote here he go's 50, that's a little too close to redline for my gears/tires.

Take a look at my https://bt39.com/GearWheelSpeed you can put in any combination you like and you can get exact numbers. Gear/wheel/RPM/Speed calculators are all over the internet.

A Stock Ruby and my planned build on 42's with 5.38 gears are within 3% of each other. With all my previous 2.7 and 2.0 xfer case 4x4s, I had hundreds of miles in low range going over 50 MPH. With the 4:1 Ruby case, I'll limit it to 8th gear, 4500 RPM which is 38 MPH.

Some tech writer wrote that ridiculous owners manual advice 30 years ago and they have no reason to change it. It costs money to update the owner manual.
Yes but you are putting extra heat/wear on your transfer case. Like I said, it’s really not that difficult to shift between low and high.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Idk who told you that but my 2021 JLUR definitely goes to 7th and 8th in 4Lo without a problem.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Idk who told you that but my 2021 JLUR definitely goes to 7th and 8th in 4Lo without a problem.
Thanks, several folks have confirmed that. I was talking to a guy who said "I heard the JL computer won't let it go into overdrive".
Sponsored